Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Princess Returning Pearl 2011 《新还珠格格》 - Li Sheng, Hai Lu, Zhang Rui, Li Jia Hang

QY, if you are out there and reading this (and have someone translating this for you), can I ask that next time you make a remake that I offer my free and unlimited service as your loving fan ?Just let me give you bits and pieces of my opinion even if you don't use it. At least just spare me a little time to listen.

I know this maybe overstepping my boundaries, but please consider this request out of loyalty and love for your works.

Because I hate to say this, but ...this new version...is really bad. ...It lacks HEART.
    Thank GOD for good marketing, pretty costumes, attractive actors/actresses, catchy theme songs AND the fact that most viewers are watching this for the sake of their loyalty to you and the HZGG original, heart felt story line. Otherwise, this drama is just ...so...so....bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLee View Post
    QY, if you are out there and reading this (and have someone translating this for you), can I ask that next time you make a remake that I offer my free and unlimited service as your loving fan ?Just let me give you bits and pieces of my opinion even if you don't use it. At least just spare me a little time to listen.

I know this maybe overstepping my boundaries, but please consider this request out of loyalty and love for your works.

Because I hate to say this, but ...this new version...is really bad. ...It lacks HEART.
    Thank GOD for good marketing, pretty costumes, attractive actors/actresses, catchy theme songs AND the fact that most viewers are watching this for the sake of their loyalty to you and the HZGG original, heart felt story line. Otherwise, this drama is just ...so...so....bleh.
    I know! I feel like the biggest failure in the new remake is the poor script!! Now I feel bad for all the people who worked on this mega project. They spent 285 tireless days to finish this production and even though the new actresses/actors aren't convincing as the originals, I still feel bad for their wasted effort. If the script was better, their inexperienced acting would be overlooked and less of an eye soar.

P.S. I actually really like the new XYZ actress as a person, Erkang actor, and YQ actor after watching their variety shows/interviews. They seem like really down to earth and hardworking people and went through a lot of tribulations to get these coveted roles.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 07-31-11 at 11:10 PM.
    Need to stop being lazy...

i heard QY has a weibo and a facebook? Too bad I can't write in Chinese. >_<

I'm pretty much watching this series because strangely I find the actors endearing and the costumes/scenery beautiful, and because I loved HZGG as a child (I really want to see some YQ/XYZ interaction!). I would've dropped this series a long time ago if the subpar script had a different storyline and a different cast.

Quote Originally Posted by happyswallow View Post
    i heard QY has a weibo and a facebook? Too bad I can't write in Chinese. >_<

I'm pretty much watching this series because strangely I find the actors endearing and the costumes/scenery beautiful, and because I loved HZGG as a child (I really want to see some YQ/XYZ interaction!). I would've dropped this series a long time ago if the subpar script had a different storyline and a different cast.
    I think the storyline is going to be different soon since I;m quite confused right now where QY is going to go with the story line. The king's mother is back with Qing Er before Zi Wei became recognized as a princess and Xiao Yanzi gets betroth to Wu ah Ge....
    And now we also have the 4 eunuch, benjamin and that strange doctor ....to steals a lot of scenes with their senseless, dry humor. Not enough time of father and daughter(s), couple couple interaction, sisterhood, or light comedic ....

I think the major downfall with the script is that QY left out the most important parts of what captivated us. HEART. And I think in my previous post i've placed big emphasis on the emotional parts of what is making this drama disappointing ( such has no father daughter time, not enough lover time and too many draggy scenes with insignificant characters) but i would also like to state another one of the biggest reason for the downfall of this drama. REALISM.

As a viewer, QY has to enthrall and make me feel the emotions of the characters. I have to live with the characters as if I am part of them, with them, or am them. And yet, QY made the biggest mistake when she took away the main key ingredient to give the audience 'feeling.' How can I feel anything when I cannot believe it is real?

Benjamin stealing the moment for every scene is just too much. None of the other characters are being given enough opportunity to grow to me. And Lets say that I humor QY and accept him, which is already hard to begin with because... Think of the concept of his character in THAT TIME and age, fitting into the world of the Palace without discrimination and disapproval. it's a big unrealistic and ludicrous no? Is it just me?
    It took us several years to accept gay marriages, several wars over religion and several historical conflicts due to differences of culture and tradition to reach where we are today. And still, in modern times, although it is much better than the past, we still haven't completely overcome these differences. And yet QY wants us to imagine this happening in THOSE ancient times. It's not very realistic. And the basics of a heart felt story line requires a decent amount of realism. But lets say I humor QY and accept benjamin....Does he have to be in EVERY scene? Does he have to come up with the solution to fix every problem? The 'perfect character? He has to be the one that gives xiao yanzi comfort, support, and spends most of the time getting into crazy antics with her? And then the one to come to the rescue. the one to connect Zi wei to xiao yanzi by writing the letter. The one to put a pad on her butt after she was punished like a doctor? the one to bring hot chocolate and appease everyone. Why didnt QY warn me and call this the Benajin and little parts of HZGG show. At least then I could have mentally prepared myself.

Then later QY continues ruining this realism with the Eunuch chasing the Queen around. There's supposed to be big emphasis on status at that time with the king and queen being like humans at the top of the food chain to animals. It's like watching a kitty chase a Lion around and not end up being butchered into a million pieces at the end.

And the new hoang mo mo (sorry I dont know how to spell her name) makes me really appreciate the old one. The old one came off bitter and mean, but the new one comes off comedic even at the most despaired or merciless scenes. I don't like it. Again, making me not believe she's picking on Xiao Yanzi or Zi Wei. (though i have to say that I do like the new hoang hau. Her acting is good and makes up for the bad script during the scenes she's in).

I don't know how the eunuchs and the lao Tai yi (doctor) isn't dead yet. They don't behave according to their role and status. Again...not realistic.

Oh....and Xiao yanzi playing a violin? And the whole palace singing orchestra and dancing? As if money, status doesn't exist? Am i watching a musical? i think they should just tell huan ah ma now that Zi Wei is the real daughter. Because i don't think he'll kill any of them. Probably get slightly mad and then benjamin can come around with his magical hot chocolate or maybe mac donald to seal the deal and everything will be good again. YAYY. Then everyone will sing to taylor swift or britney spears.
    Last edited by LoveLee; 07-31-11 at 11:54 PM.

Think of the concept of his character in THAT TIME and age, fitting into the world of the Palace without discrimination and disapproval. it's a big unrealistic and ludicrous no? Is it just me?
    actually a westerner in Qianlong's court was entirely possible. I believe Benji's shifu might be based loosely on this person:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Denis_Attiret

of course it is entirely unrealistic that Benji is getting too much freedom and acceptance, but not much about HZGG storyline is actually realistic. I do cringe whenever he does the western way of greeting royalty (right hand over chest), though. One would expect that the emperor would demand him to greet the same way as others.

Edit:
    @LoveLee
    If you think this series ridiculous because of the lack of realism, don't watch Jade Palace Lock Heart (if you haven't yet). That series takes the cake for unrealistic plots.
    Last edited by happyswallow; 08-01-11 at 12:03 AM.

If you think this series ridiculous because of the lack of realism, don't watch Jade Palace Lock Heart (if you haven't yet). That series takes the cake for unrealistic plots.
    LOL. True, although being a wacky time-travel drama and also being scripted by Yu Zheng, I didn't expect any realism. (I also didn't exactly watch it for the plot, either...) But, while HZGG is still a fictional story, the old HZGG made it feel like it *could* have been somewhat real, and got you super invested in the characters and story. Since this is a remake of such a classic with such a well-scripted plot, I expected better--seriously, I wouldn't have minded if they just followed the original, can't go wrong with that. From what I'm reading about NHZGG though, QY has apparently thrown everything out the window. Keeping all the bad stuff from 2 & 3 while scrapping all the good stuff from 1. (Plus on top of that adding another awful thing in the form of this Benjamin character.) It's enough to almost want to make me cry at how my beloved HZGG has been butchered...

actually a westerner in Qianlong's court was entirely possible. I believe Benji's shifu might be based loosely on this person:
    Actually Benji's master is actually Giuseppe Castiglione. He painted a lot of the famous Qianlong portraits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giusepp...2%80%931766%29

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Actually Benji's master is actually Giuseppe Castiglione. He painted a lot of the famous Qianlong portraits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giusepp...2%80%931766%29
    oh you're right! i totally forgot the part where XYZ calls him Lang Da Ren.

of course it is entirely unrealistic that Benji is getting too much freedom and acceptance, but not much about HZGG storyline is actually realistic. I do cringe whenever he does the western way of greeting royalty (right hand over chest), though. One would expect that the emperor would demand him to greet the same way as others.

Edit:
    @LoveLee
    Oh I don't doubt they have a westerner, but the fact Benji has so much status, freedom, acceptance, and such a BIG role in everyone's life....the combination of everything made it too much. Sorry. When I re-read my post I wasn't fully clear on what annoyed me about Benji. It wouldn't be so much a problem for me if he was in the storyline and QY made him slightly more realistic. Maybe Hoang Hau who is so against Xiao Yanzi who represents change and anything new and refreshing, should also give benjamin a bit of a hard time. Dirty glances here and there. (Since didnt Wu ah ge fell in love with Xiao Yanzi in the beginning because she was so refreshing from all the other females he has ever meet. And that was a big reason why Hoang hau did not like ( apart from the jealousy and such)....and yet she doesn't have any slight problem with Benji ? I don't know. Something just isn't clicking for me. If there were more opposition or less of him in general, then maybe I can accept him being there to paint a painting for the King and then gracefully disappearing. BUT he's everywhere.....doing everything important.....being everyone's friend or someone important. Sigh...

lol. I did watch that. Hhmm It was like hana yori dango in ancient times. Lol Maids can talk back and yell princes... Even slap a prince. *rolls around laughing*
    But the thing about that drama is that Ba ah ge sold me on his acting. I totally forgot about how unrealistic the storyline was (for most part) because I truly felt that he loved her unconditionally. It was sweet to watch. Too bad benji is in EVERY scene, taking all the opportunity away from the other characters that they can't successfully portray their love for one another to mesmerize me into the lovey dovey storyline enough to disregard everything else.

The few scenes Ive enjoyed are with Er Tai or Er Kang's lovey doviness towards Zi Wei. ....here's my heart. Take it! lol Those brothers can have it !

HZGG can be a fairy tale that lacks realism, but it should not lack COMMON SENSE!!! I feel like whenever Benji participate in their antics or come to the rescue with his chocolate or whatever, I get mentally kicked out of the story. Gosh..and I have to endure his presence during the secret southern tour of Qianlong What's more attention catching than bringing a foreigner along with the imperial entourage disguised as ordinary civilians? Totally defeats the purpose of trying to bend in! He also tags along with the HGZZ gang when they're trying to escape from the emperor's pursuit as well! HELLO?! Does that make sense? His presence will probably kill them before XYZ's silly antics!
    Last edited by JoleCole; 08-01-11 at 12:46 AM.

I feel HZGG can be a fairy tale that lacks realism, but it should not lack COMMON SENSE!!! I feel like whenever Benji participate in their antics or come to the rescue with his chocolate or whatever, I get mentally kicked out of the story. Gosh..and I have to endure his presence during the secret southern tour of Qianlong What's more attention catching than bringing a foreigner along with the imperial entourage disguised as ordinary civilians? He also tags along with the HGZZ gang when they're trying to escape from the emperor's pursuit as well! HELLO?! Does that make sense? His presence will probably kill them before XYZ's silly antics!
    Lol can you imagine the emperor's orders? "GO FIND XIAO YANZI AND BRING THEM ALL BACK!!!!!! IF YOU CATCH ONE, THE REST WILL COME BACK... WHAT DO U MEAN YOU LOST THEM? HOW DID YOU LOSE A TALL WHITE GUY IN CHINA?"

i've actually been blanking out/forwarding any ZiWei/ErKang scenes. too mushy for my liking. =/
    i'm hoping that the next third of the drama will make up for the lack of YQ/XYZ scenes and have less ZW/EK.

also, i never thought chocolate could have such an important role in a drama!

just saw this BTS clip on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhUSg...el_video_title

Dunno why but I found Benji super sweet when he came running upon seeing Li Sheng fall. ^^
    Last edited by happyswallow; 08-01-11 at 12:55 AM.

HZGG can be a fairy tale that lacks realism, but it should not lack COMMON SENSE!!! I feel like whenever Benji participate in their antics or come to the rescue with his chocolate or whatever, I get mentally kicked out of the story. Gosh..and I have to endure his presence during the secret southern tour of Qianlong What's more attention catching than bringing a foreigner along with the imperial entourage disguised as ordinary civilians? Totally defeats the purpose of trying to bend in! He also tags along with the HGZZ gang when they're trying to escape from the emperor's pursuit as well! HELLO?! Does that make sense? His presence will probably kill them before XYZ's silly antics!
    LMAO... So true, so true...

Oh....and Xiao yanzi playing a violin? And the whole palace singing orchestra and dancing? As if money, status doesn't exist? Am i watching a musical? i think they should just tell huan ah ma now that Zi Wei is the real daughter. Because i don't think he'll kill any of them. Probably get slightly mad and then benjamin can come around with his magical hot chocolate or maybe mac donald to seal the deal and everything will be good again. YAYY. Then everyone will sing to taylor swift or britney spears.
    Lol can you imagine the emperor's orders? "GO FIND XIAO YANZI AND BRING THEM ALL BACK!!!!!! IF YOU CATCH ONE, THE REST WILL COME BACK... WHAT DO U MEAN YOU LOST THEM? HOW DID YOU LOSE A TALL WHITE GUY IN CHINA?"
    LMAO
    you're hilarious. i like you haha, the tall white guy in china comment made me crack up for like 5 minutes

Hi, I have downloaded the series in youtube,..but what is the diffference between dvd version and television version? because there are two types,..thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cutefan View Post
    Hi, I have downloaded the series in youtube,..but what is the diffference between dvd version and television version? because there are two types,..thank you
    I want to know too. Did you compare the two version.

Quote Originally Posted by cutefan View Post
    From what I know and hear the Hunan TV version is slightly ahead of the DVD version. If you watch the last episodes of both versions you will see that the Hunan TV version is further ahead. And also the TV version tends to cut some scenes out whereas the DVD version has all the scenes.

If I wrote something wrong....someone please correct me.

i can't believe almost two entire episodes was spent on male vs female soccer match.

srsly, can we please get on with the rest of the story???

i can't believe almost two entire episodes was spent on male vs female soccer match.

srsly, can we please get on with the rest of the story???
    lets not forget benjamin, more orchestra singing, and benjamin some more ...