Thread: S.Koreans pose weighty question for N.Korea's tubby heir Kim Jong-Un

Default S.Koreans pose weighty question for N.Korea's tubby heir Kim Jong-Un

S.Koreans pose weighty question for N.Korea's tubby heir

(AFP) – 11 hours ago
    SEOUL — Professors worldwide are pondering the political implications after North Korea released its first photo of the heir-apparent Kim Jong-Un.
    But South Korea's Internet community had just one overriding question about the youngest son of leader Kim Jong-Il: how did he get so fat when his country is starving?
    The North's official media released its first ever picture of Jong-Un on Thursday, days after he was appointed a four-star general by his father and was given two powerful ruling party posts.
    Analysts said the release of the image -- showing a distinctly chubby young man -- confirms Jong-Un's status as eventual successor to his ailing 68-year-old father in the reclusive communist state.
    Internet posts were more personal.
    "Pyongyang's fat pig," wrote one user, a comment which could earn a death sentence north of the border.
    "North Korean residents are all starving to death, but what did they eat to get so fat like that?" wrote another, referring to the Kim dynasty which has ruled the impoverished nation since its founding in 1948.
    Founding father Kim Il-Sung was portly in later life. His son and current leader Kim sported a prominent pot belly until he lost weight dramatically following a stroke in 2008.
    Jong-Un's half-brother Kim Jong-Nam appears obese in photos taken during his pampered life in Macau.
    Jong-Un "takes after his grandfather Kim Il-Sung but he is short and stout like his father", Yang Moo-Jin of Seoul's University of North Korean Studies told AFP Thursday.
    The photo attracted thousands of comments on Nate, South Korea's major portal which aggregates news articles from other sites.
    "He (Jong-Un) might have intentionally gained weight to look just like Kim Il-Sung. They look so exactly the same that it's brainwashing," read one.
    "Wow, they are huge! They should let one more fat son in and form a North Korean version of teletubbies," read another.
    Another user commented scathingly: "What you (Jong-Un) eat daily could save hundreds of your people."
    The front-page lead of conservative newspaper Chosun Ilbo was equally scornful. Its headline read: "The only fat Prince of Pyongyang".
    Weight-watching is not a problem which the ruling family shares with its people. The country suffered famine in the 1990s which killed hundreds of thousands and severe food shortages persist.
    One out of three young children is stunted by malnutrition, the United Nations children's fund has said.
    Jong-Un, believed to be aged about 27, "probably eats much more than the average North Korean", said Cho Myung-Chul, a researcher at the Korea Institute for International Economic Policy who defected from the North.
    "North Koreans think being fat is good, unlike South Koreans who want to be skinny," Cho told AFP.
    "There is a high possibility Jong-Un intentionally gained weight to look like Kim Il-Sung."
    On the political implications, Cho agreed with other analysts.
    "Releasing a photo of Kim Jong-Un now means the succession plan has become public and legitimate in North Korea, and that the son will (eventually) rule."
    That prospect angered about 100 protesters in central Seoul Friday, who trampled on photos of both father and son.
    "North Korea's three-generation succession is a ridiculous world comedy!" read one placard.
    Link
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...5afc42a4d3.8c1

Have you wonder that in a country when it people are starving ,the ruler are always a fat person ,for example like North Korea Kim Jung Ill,now his sucessor son are fat too.
    Other are Mugabe of Zimbabwe .
    China in 1950-60 when it people are starving ,Charmain Mao was a fat man too .
    what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    Have you wonder that in a country when it people are starving ,the ruler are always a fat person ,for example like North Korea Kim Jung Ill,now his sucessor son are fat too.
    Other are Mugabe of Zimbabwe .
    China in 1950-60 when it people are starving ,Charmain Mao was a fat man too .
    what do you think?
    I don't care about how fat or skinny they are as it's none of my business. Food alone is nothing. It doesn't cost much. What I hate about marxist leaders is that they can enjoy 100,000 performers on their birthday party while people are starving. I hope Kim Jong-Un is not another marxist leader like his dad and grandpa. However, it's probably just a unrealistic hope. It's highly likely that he will be a another great marxist leader like his father and grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I don't care about how fat or skinny they are as it's none of my business. Food alone is nothing. It doesn't cost much. What I hate about marxist leaders is that they can enjoy 100,000 performers on their birthday party while people are starving. I hope Kim Jong-Un is not another marxist leader like his dad and grandpa. However, it's probably just a unrealistic hope. It's highly likely that he will be a another great marxist leader like his father and grandpa.
    Food is as good as GOLD in North Korea. As mentioned in the earlier post, it's STARVATION there. MASS STARVATION.

Food isn't much? Only for fortunate people such as you and I.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Food is as good as GOLD in North Korea. As mentioned in the earlier post, it's STARVATION there. MASS STARVATION.

Food isn't much? Only for fortunate people such as you and I.
    You missed my point.
    Sure, food is as good as GOLD & DIAMOND in North Korea where there is MASS STARVATION. How much does it cost to feed the leader?? How much does it cost to have 100,000 performers training days and nights to prepare for the leader birthday party? How much does it cost of all the non-food luxuries? This is the main reason why I despise marxism where the leader of the country has absolute power and ordinary citizens are their slaves. Absolute power stay in same family from generation to generation. Ordinary citizens have no voice whatsoever.