Thread: How true are the following quotes to you?

Default How true are the following quotes to you?

"Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.” - Joseph Campbell

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Frederich Nietzsche

Are the above quotes true for you?

I've heard people who have gone through some challenges/hardship that those period was the best thing that happen in their life because they became wiser and stronger after that. I wonder how many of those people will be willing to go through those hardship/challenges again. I wonder if they were given a choice to turn back time and remove those hardship/challenges, will they take it up.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-04-10 at 12:41 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

it's true for me.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

I'm sure those quotes can be true, but if I had the choice, I'd rather avoid those types of challenges.

I believe that those quotes hold very true for most people. But there will always be times when an individual could not find the strength within, and losses himself to the despair of the challange. It's like Joseph Campell said, hardships only affords us "opportunities" to become stronger and wise... it doesn't mean everyone exercises the option to use those opportunities.

And from personal experience, there have been many challenging things in life that have given me profound insights and growth. However, I would hope that they would NEVER happen to me again. In fact, I admit, it is sometimes the fear of going through the exact same horrendous difficulties that actually pushes me to always make better and wiser decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Christopher Reeves fell off a kryptonite horse. He never became super again.

Phineas Gage had a pipe go through his head and take out a part of his brain. Everyone loved him before that, afterwards everyone thought he was a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    I believe that those quotes hold very true for most people. But there will always be times when an individual could not find the strength within, and losses himself to the despair of the challange. It's like Joseph Campell said, hardships only affords us "opportunities" to become stronger and wise... it doesn't mean everyone exercises the option to use those opportunities.

And from personal experience, there have been many challenging things in life that have given me profound insights and growth. However, I would hope that they would NEVER happen to me again. In fact, I admit, it is sometimes the fear of going through the exact same horrendous difficulties that actually pushes me to always make better and wiser decisions.
    The challenge I'm facing now forces me to try many things (some have good consequences, some have bad that left new scar), turning my internal system, belief, etc upside down. I've made more changes in these 2 years than I have for many years. But, I still wish this challenge has never started. I don't even know when it's going to end. It's like a wave. Up and down, up and down and you pass through one hell after another. You see yourself making progress then you slide back.

But, giving up is not an option for me. So, I'll just have to bear it through and keep working on it (and see who last longer, the 'challenges' or me). I'm lucky to have people around me that keep on giving me support and hope.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-04-10 at 03:42 AM.

And how true is this statement?

"If you ever need to make a decision/choice yet doesn't know which is right and which is wrong, just choose the difficult way because that would be the right path."
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    "Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.” - Joseph Campbell

Are the above quotes true for you?

I've heard people who have gone through some challenges/hardship that those period was the best thing that happen in their life because they became wiser and stronger after that. I wonder how many of those people will be willing to go through those hardship/challenges again. I wonder if they were given a choice to turn back time and remove those hardship/challenges, will they take it up.
    The first quote:"Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.” - Joseph Campbell

This is more my internal self,as for the other quote:

More on the external self I do show,lol;I do quote this a few times to people at times when times are hard.

Kidd,from where I stand after taking a visit back to my mom home country[Taiwan] I do understand a few things on why foreigner immigrants wants to come into the US.At the same time,why its tough to earn money or value monetary elastic spending?I do see people do have to work 3x as hard compared into the US to earned the comparable wage.This is like the positive thought in my mind because it tells me:Man,if they have to work this hard,so can I;how do they do it? Before,I wasn't thinking like this until after this year's summer trip.

Also,you do want to compare with other people what exactly your standpoint with other people economically.Are you really in the worst situation,as compared to the next person?If not,would you try to help that person nearby you or a co-worker?These are good questions not everyday people do think about.It does help everyday to think positively this way,hey we all have struggles and so do I.In all,it does help you keep looking forward: Do you have a place to stay,food to eat,clothes to wear,some kind of income?Currently,these are what people mentally thinking about.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 10-04-10 at 05:09 AM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Nietzsche, interesting.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Chew on this, folks "Once in a lifetime, you need to hold the bull by the horns." - (forgot the Quotee's name)

Personally, I find it true. And, after you have that experience, you'd be ready for another challenger.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    And how true is this statement?

"If you ever need to make a decision/choice yet doesn't know which is right and which is wrong, just choose the difficult way because that would be the right path."
    this isn't necessarily true though.

sometimes perception can be wrong.

a better accessment would be, which one has the higher potential of doing something morally wrong?

pick the other option then. usually i pray to God first. and try to get an answer from him.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

In fact, all of those quotes ring true for me...and I guess to go along the grain I'd add, "People are like tea bags, we never know how tough we are until steeped in hot water." I thought that one was funny when my friend sent it to me.

I kind of believe, that God, whomever your good is, tends to give you exactly what it is that you need to become a better and stronger person. For example, I had to learn humilty lol. In addition, the powers that be never give you more than you can handle, it's up to the person to rise to the challenge. People always say that it's easy to stand by your convictions and moral upbringing when they have never been challenged...but most of mine at one point were all seriously called forth...and now I know what I'm capable of under great stress. For better or worse, I'm glad I underwent the "training."
    I like me.

Another quote of similar nature.

"Out of pain have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." -E.H. Chapin