Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portraying 6 Mak Divine Swords and 1 Yeung Finger Technique in wuxia adaptations.

Default Portraying 6 Mak Divine Swords and 1 Yeung Finger Technique in wuxia adaptations.

If there's one constant weakness in all adaptations of DGSD that portray the brother-martial arts 6 Mak Divine Swords and 1 Yeung Finger Technique, it's that the same SFX are typically used for both, meaning that they look identical to each other on the screen. Wuxia fans know that 6 Mak Divine Swords is much more powerful than its older brother, the plain old 1 Yeung Finger Technique, but you'd never be able to gather this from watching an adaptation because the SFX beams always look the same for both skills.

Have you ever looked at comic adaptations?

I think the author of the comic adaptation of TLBB in the link below portrayed 6MSJ quite well. It looks colorful and very different from other fingering techniques like Canhezhi, Nianhuazhi or Yiyangzhi.

http://www.manmankan.com/html/275/index.asp

Maybe different colours will work?

The best adaptation I saw for this was in the Jade Wong comics series from HK. Yes, they kind of twisted the plot at the end (you thought DGSD 81 was scary, wait till you read this one) but the 6MSJ was really nicely done. You don't really see a laser, but the airbrushed background shows images of sword chi flying out from his fingers - little daggers for Siu Chak and Siu Chong swords, long slim elegant swords for Chong Chong and Seung Yeung, and HUGE chubby YG-esque Iron swords for the Siu Seung sword. Guan Chong sword is almost never portrayed because sticking out your ring finger doesn't really look like a comfortable thing to do, much less draw, during combat. 1YZ only has the laser, which works well for what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by forgot password View Post

I think the author of the comic adaptation of TLBB in the link below portrayed 6MSJ quite well. It looks colorful and very different from other fingering techniques like Canhezhi, Nianhuazhi or Yiyangzhi.

That's the exact comic I was talking about!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Maybe different colours will work?

The best adaptation I saw for this was in the Jade Wong comics series from HK. Yes, they kind of twisted the plot at the end (you thought DGSD 81 was scary, wait till you read this one) but the 6MSJ was really nicely done. You don't really see a laser, but the airbrushed background shows images of sword chi flying out from his fingers - little daggers for Siu Chak and Siu Chong swords, long slim elegant swords for Chong Chong and Seung Yeung, and HUGE chubby YG-esque Iron swords for the Siu Seung sword. Guan Chong sword is almost never portrayed because sticking out your ring finger doesn't really look like a comfortable thing to do, much less draw, during combat. 1YZ only has the laser, which works well for what it does.
    Yes. The comics generally do a better job at making the visual distinction than the TV adaptations do (probably a technical limitation).

Ian: in DGSD '81, Deun Yin Hing and Deun Jing Ming initially used the same kind of rainbow-colored beam for 1 Yeung Finger Technique, but later, TVB switched it to "red" for good guys and "blue" for bad guys (kind of like STAR WARS lightsaber colors in reverse). With 6 Mak Divine Swords, there were all kinds of colors, and the implication seemed to be that each color represented a different "mak" or intensity of beam. Only Deun Yu was capable of shooting all the different colors, apparently.

But the colors did absolutely nothing to distinguish 6 Mak Divine Swords from 1 Yeung Finger Technique. They were all basically the same kind of beam effect.

I believe in TVB's DGSD 96, Yiyangzhi was portrayed as a single yellow laser while 6MSJ was a variety of colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    That's the exact comic I was talking about!!
    I have the full set of this comic!

I love the portrayal of 6MSJ in this comic and XF's hawt!
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

6 Mak Divine Swords should always be depicted with some sort of sword blade imagery in it. CGI was still too unsophisticated in 1981 to pull that off, but more recent adaptations should have had that technology available to them.

The 2003 adaptation had YYZ as the standard distorted air depiction of qi attacks. 6MSJ was shown as a rapid-fire version with a sharp cutting effect rather than the blunt attack that other qi attacks were.

But in the tv adaptions it clearly states who masters the 6MSG and who only knows 1YYF, so you should have a clear distinction whats being hit out....

Quote Originally Posted by Dai Hiep View Post
    But in the tv adaptions it clearly states who masters the 6MSG and who only knows 1YYF, so you should have a clear distinction whats being hit out....
    Well, narratively we know, but because the two skills look identical, it's hard to buy into the idea that one is so much stronger than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Well, narratively we know, but because the two skills look identical, it's hard to buy into the idea that one is so much stronger than the other.
    i thought that both were the same technique with 1YF originated from 6MSG handed down and losing most of the manuscript as time goes by.

cant 6msg be reformed from the 1yf practitioner try channeling their inner energy to shoot out from the other fingers? i thought both have the same principal?

Quote Originally Posted by Dai Hiep View Post
    i thought that both were the same technique with 1YF originated from 6MSG handed down and losing most of the manuscript as time goes by.

cant 6msg be reformed from the 1yf practitioner try channeling their inner energy to shoot out from the other fingers? i thought both have the same principal?
    1YZ is an acupressure technique that seals multiple pressure points at once.
    LMSJ is sword chi, it actually causes physical damage.
    Atleast that's what I'm lead to believe.

Yeah Banh Mi is right. 1YZ is just an advanced accupuncture sealing technique, whereas 6MSJ is a technique based on 1YZ to unleash sword qi, which causes way more physical damages.

The DGSD 2003's depiction has been the best I've seen so far. That's how I'd visualise it in my head while reading the novel.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

YF can also cause physical damage upon impact. It can be projected via energy blast (I always imagined it as a more subtle and refine version of Yuske's "Ray Gun" from YuyuHakusho)

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post

The DGSD 2003's depiction has been the best I've seen so far. That's how I'd visualise it in my head while reading the novel.
    The 03' adaptation's use of 'distorted air' is how I visualise it too. But I visualise it to be less 'obvious' and a lot faster. For the sake of the viewer, I think the director made the energy stream too visible and too slow. And yes, it looked exactly like Duan Zhengchun's YYZ attack.

The 03 adaptation also made the Dragon Palms look crap. Stupid slow moving CGI dragon with lots of dust.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Is there novel evidence which shows that LMSJ actually causes cutting damage? When Duan Yu hit the Xixia officer with it, it broke his arm, but there was no reference to any blood or actual cutting/slashing damage.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Murong Fu's sleeves/clothes were cut off by it wasn't it? Blunt force wouldn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Is there novel evidence which shows that LMSJ actually causes cutting damage? When Duan Yu hit the Xixia officer with it, it broke his arm, but there was no reference to any blood or actual cutting/slashing damage.
    It actually pokes holes in the opponent's body. e.g. The one occasion when he fired all six swords simultaneously at a Xixia warrior:

見那黃鬍子仰天躺在地下,胸口小腹的六個小孔之中鮮血直噴

...saw that yellow-bearded man fall backwards flat to the ground, blood spraying straight up from the six little holes in his chest and abdomen...

about 6mds was this manuscript stolen at shaolin temple where sweeper monk was also secluding? or at another temple?

if someone of his magnitude was learning most of shaolins arts in secrecy, then wouldnt he have had access to this manuscript before it was even stolen?