Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nobel Peace Prize 2010 goes to...

Default The Nobel Peace Prize 2010 goes to...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/nobel_peace_prize

Liu Xiaobo. You go, dude. Be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/nobel_peace_prize

Liu Xiaobo. You go, dude. Be excellent.
    Nobel peace prize is a joke.
    The guy was convicted by the court and is in jail.

1. You got to be pretty naive to think it was not political.

2. Here's an interview of the guy from 1988.

http://www.open.com.hk/0701p26.html
    Its in Chinese. If you can't read Chinese, just do a simple google translate and search for his answer to "historic change".

Now, this comment was made in 1988, it was a different time then, but regardless, this will reflect very, very badly of him.

3. What it means is that Noble Peace Prize's (and the west's) credibility will sink even further among the common Chinese people, and might even end up strengthening CCP.

4. According another forum he's one of the few leaders that didn't jump ship and escape to US when things turned sour in 89, and stayed around to salvage the mess as best as he could with the army, for that, you got to give him kudos.

Now he's just a pawn, and I'm certain his comments from point 2, which were probably pretty obscure before, will now spread like wildfire among the Chinese Netizens.

Yes, it was political, but he should know better. He should know the possible consequences of his actions. Why can't he just like other vast vast majority chinese citizens to leave the government alone? If he doesn't like the system, leave the country. He should know what the chinese government is capable with.

Since he is a scholar from china, he should know the following:
    忍一時風平浪淨
    退一步海闊天空
    Too bad for him that he wasn't intelligent enough to understand the true meaning of those wise words from his ancestor.

Obviously TrienChieu hates freedom and is a Communist sympathizer; or that the Communists of China were correct to put the guy in jail for advocating for human rights in China.

Well, consider that the prize was given to him for his political activities, I have to say that the above sentence is one of the most astute commentary I've read in this forum.

3. What it means is that Noble Peace Prize's (and the west's) credibility will sink even further among the common Chinese people, and might even end up strengthening CCP.

Lol, that must be why the censors across China are blocking all the news about this and purging websites and chatrooms left and right over any mention of his name.
    Last edited by levendis d'orange; 10-09-10 at 12:43 AM.
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Quote Originally Posted by levendis d'orange View Post
    Obviously TrienChieu hates freedom and is a Communist sympathizer; or that the Communists of China were correct to put the guy in jail for advocating for human rights in China.
    I love freedom and dislike (marxism) communist. However, people should be aware of the consequences before they act.

TrienChieu you're not making any sense. The consequence of his protest against Communist party and advocacy for human rights was to be sentenced to jail by the Communist party. I'm pretty sure that everybody is aware of this fact, including the guy himself because, duh, he's in jail.

Well, maybe you didn't.
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Yes, it was political, but he should know better. He should know the possible consequences of his actions. Why can't he just like other vast vast majority chinese citizens to leave the government alone? If he doesn't like the system, leave the country. He should know what the chinese government is capable with.

Since he is a scholar from china, he should know the following:
    忍一時風平浪淨
    退一步海闊天空
    Too bad for him that he wasn't intelligent enough to understand the true meaning of those wise words from his ancestor.
    Sometimes there are thing's more important than yourself and your own wellbeing. This is something you've never quite understood.

“An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law.” - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., writing from prison in Birmingham.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 10-09-10 at 04:34 AM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron View Post

2. Here's an interview of the guy from 1988.

http://www.open.com.hk/0701p26.html
    Its in Chinese. If you can't read Chinese, just do a simple google translate and search for his answer to "historic change".

Now, this comment was made in 1988, it was a different time then, but regardless, this will reflect very, very badly of him.

4. According another forum he's one of the few leaders that didn't jump ship and escape to US when things turned sour in 89, and stayed around to salvage the mess as best as he could with the army, for that, you got to give him kudos.

Now he's just a pawn, and I'm certain his comments from point 2, which were probably pretty obscure before, will now spread like wildfire among the Chinese Netizens.
    I read that 1988 statement, and the first word that came to my mind was "traitor". Next word up was "treason". I stopped short of wanting him dead though.

It may not be so, but this whole NPP thing just stinks of politics.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I like that it does...stink of politics, I mean lol. My Chinese classmate doesn't feel that Liu is a Chinese person or worthy of being a national of the home country...it was interesting. Certainly this news would make China even more visible than it already is...but for the reasons that it does not want...you know for like freedom of speech and constitutional rights...
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I like that it does...stink of politics, I mean lol. My Chinese classmate doesn't feel that Liu is a Chinese person or worthy of being a national of the home country...it was interesting. Certainly this news would make China even more visible than it already is...but for the reasons that it does not want...you know for like freedom of speech and constitutional rights...
    Freedom of speech and constitutional rights exist only in the US [for now]. Freedom of speech doesn't really exist in Canada and we actually have laws against some forms of speech. A group like the US 'Tea Party' can only operate in the political arena in Canada if it becomes an actual political party.

As for the Nobel committee being political in its actions..... how else would Obama win over others more worthy of the 'honor'?

The Nobel peace prize is a joke and believe me I should know since I practically grew up in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    The Nobel peace prize is a joke and believe me I should know since I practically grew up in Norway
    Yeah, it is a worthless piece of shit.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T2

Liu Xiaobo's wife has been effectively put under house arrest even though, as far as I can tell, she hasn't broken any laws.

My Chinese classmate doesn't feel that Liu is a Chinese person or worthy of being a national of the home country...it was interesting.
    Those people are as bad, if not worse, than the whacko Far Right of the USA.

I think that just about every Chinese person under 30 also don't realize how much the China of today owes to the Tiananmen Square protesters; those protests were a wake up call to the CPC that they needed to speed up reforms to give a better life to the average Chinese person, not just those that were members of the Communist Party.
    Last edited by Dirt; 10-10-10 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Those people are as bad, if not worse, than the whacko Far Right of the USA.

I think that just about every Chinese person under 30 also don't realize how much the China of today owes to the Tiananmen Square protesters; those protests were a wake up call to the CPC that they needed to speed up reforms to give a better life to the average Chinese person.
    Perhaps this is due to the Chinese education system? I find that many of my young Chinese classmates love that they are acquiring a prestigious Western education, but nitpick at "Western" values. A lot of them don't like their country's censoring because it has affected them...but don't have any opinion on China's violation of human rights or extreme clamp upon dissenting political views...because those don't immediately and obviously affect them.

While many of you guys may view the Nobel Peace Prize as a joke, I don't think that the people who have received them are. Liu Xiao Bo, and what he stands for, is NOT a joke. The NPP is a symbol to call for action towards a more peaceful global community. However, I do think that they need to tweak on how they evaluate their candidates' contribution towards peace. I personally don't understand why some people have won them myself. For example, I am in agreement with those who think Obama's win was premature. However, I'm also largely ignorant of the existing variables in their individual ideologies. Since I don't know how and what they are doing for peace, I will not assume that their initiatives are nonexistent or unworthy. Hence, I will not assume that the Nobel Peace Prize is crap.

Individuals who deserved to win but did not win, like Gandhi [nominated 5 times], is indeed a travesty. Gandhi was the favorite to win in 1948. Unfortunately, Gandhi was assassinated before the final nominations were due in that year. The 1948 NPP was not awarded because of "no suitable living candidate."
    Last edited by ByTmE; 10-10-10 at 08:56 PM.
    I like me.

Individuals who deserved to win but did not win, like Gandhi [nominated 5 times], is indeed a travesty. Gandhi was the favorite to win in 1948. Unfortunately, Gandhi was assassinated before the final nominations were due in that year. The 1948 NPP was not awarded because of "no suitable living candidate."
    Why cant they give it to a dead person? Like, posthumous honour?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Why cant they give it to a dead person? Like, posthumous honour?
    I know right! In fact, I think they have...just not to Gandhi. Prior to 1974, I read that there were two posthumous winners. After 1974, there were amendments to rule out any chance of posthumous winners, unless the death of the recipient occurred after the announcement of the Nobel Prize. Gandhi, died two days before the final vote was completed.

Still...::narrow's eyes::
    I like me.

Perhaps this is due to the Chinese education system? I find that many of my young Chinese classmates love that they are acquiring a prestigious Western education, but nitpick at "Western" values. A lot of them don't like their country's censoring because it has affected them...but don't have any opinion on China's violation of human rights or extreme clamp upon dissenting political views...because those don't immediately and obviously affect them.
    The government is good at brainwashing.

Sounds like Grammy Awards or Oscar Awards.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?