Thread: Was the love between Yang Guo and Xiao Longnu too boring?

Default Was the love between Yang Guo and Xiao Longnu too boring?

The relationship between Yang Guo and XLN doesn't have much drama when compare to like the relationship between Guo Jing/Huang Rong, or any other couple in Jin Yong novels.

Eventhough they separated 4 times (probably more separations than other Jin Yong's couples), there was relatively no anger, doubts, suspicions in their relationship. Like in the 1st separation, XLN left because she was hurt and angry because she thought Yang Guo did not owe up to his armorous behavior. But when they met again, there was no suspicion if he changed his mind or anger still held that might lead to punishment like when Huang Rong refused to meet Guo Jing at the Mongolian camp. Or when XLN thought Yang Guo was going to marry Guo Fu, she did not think about taking revenge on Yang Guo for not keeping his promise to her. Instead she gave the Lady sword to Guo Fu wishing Yang Guo well. Then when they met again, she did not question him why he did not keep his promise to her. Or when Yang Guo found XLN in the Passionless valley, he did not question if XLN had any feeling for the valley master or why she agreed to marry him. It seems like they know the deep feeling they had for each other and if there is something else involve others, the other must have had a good reason for it, and that reason had nothing to do with the feeling they had for each other.

Can that kind of relationship be real? Can people in real life have such a relationship? Or is that just fantasy beyong anything imaginable? And if you are in such a relationship, does it make it boring? When you don't have any more doubt, suspicion at all? And would you love someone so much that there would be no anger, no thought of revenge even if the other do what others would think as a betrayal of love?

I think the subtleties in the relationships in Jin Yong's novels are very multifaceted and interesting, and kind of real too, probably even more, or least on par with how he described the martial arts.

of course it's boring compared to such love stories as HR&GJ's and ZWJ&ZM's, or IMO even the semi-threesome b/w XF&A'Zhu&A'Zi. It can't be helped though, as XLN is intrinsically boring compared to cool smarties like HR, ZM or A'Zhu. it takes 2 to tango, how can one clap w/ just one hand? But being boring doesn't necessarily mean it lacks drama, rather it has so much drama that quite a few readers get fed up w/ all the soppiness and as a result find it boring.

it is very lame as duan yu chasing that other ho in DGSD, i just hate sitting through a series where so much time is focus on useless things just too draggy.

Yes, they had little chemistry, IMO YG had a lot more chemistry with all the other girls that fell for him, even GF.

And is it me or is there a case of Oedipus complex on the part of Yang Guo. I mean falling in love with the woman who basically raised you? and trying to kill GJ who for all intend and purpose his adoptive father. Although given his upbringing falling for XLN it is quite understandable.

Now only if GX and GF switched places in the birthing order.
    Last edited by Dimeron; 10-15-10 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron View Post
    Yes, they had little chemistry, IMO YG had a lot more chemistry with all the other girls that fell for him, even GF.
    How do you define chemistry? Does chemistry have to have sparks flying all over? Can chemistry reflect in a quiet way? I read description of something like meeting someone whom you felt like you've been with that person forever, that you instantly know that you belongs to that someone, and there isn't even a need to tell each other how you feel. Is that chemistry?

I think Yang Guo and XLN had the feel of an old couple. After all, by being together 24/7 for about 3, 4 years, that probably equivalent to like 10 years of other normal couples. So all the sparks were probably gone, and was replaced with a quiet, comfortable closeness.

Can such quiet love stronger than the louder ones? Again, I read that quiet love can burn hotter than the rambunctious ones.

Well, these great romances about perfect couples are boring by default. Whatever makes this sort of stories interesting, it usually ain't the romance itself.
    And this particular couple is creepy as hell, too.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    Well, these great romances about perfect couples are boring by default. Whatever makes this sort of stories interesting, it usually ain't the romance itself.
    Haha I agree.

Was the love between Yang Guo and Xiao Longnu too boring?

Yes, especially in ROCH 2006, I pretty much fast forwarded most scenes between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron View Post
    Agreed.

I'm more fond of the early scenes when YG saw XLN as his teacher.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

likes others posted, they did had too little chemistry. it seems he only loved/liked her because she was the hottest one of the girls. then when he found out what happened to her it sorta seem like he was obligated to marry her.

its like in wind n cloud conquer the world tv series. when clouds girl, chu chu i think got raped on accident by the god of sword student when he was poision, they had a baby, etc then cloud learned to except it or something. he still got married to her, while the guy was there for the baby still.

then i think in the sequel to the series, chu chu started liking the other guy or something. not too sure tho.

but it seems like if xiao long nu didn't get raped, it wouldn't have pushed yang guo to stay with her because it was his fault for being so clueless. but still the whole rape part was stupid, because xln didn't just say what happen, then yang guo was just clueless.
    437fcdd2-cdca-42fb-af28-06c046b5a71e

Unlike GJ and HR, I had absolutely no feelings for this couple. The way they loved each other just did not move me at all.