Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggested itenary to Malaysia/Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Well he had it all planned out, but I haven't booked any thing but the flights.

Originally we were thinking of spending 4-5 days at Sabah; mainly for the orangutans, if we can see it in main peninsula, we might avoid sabah and spend more time in Singapore/KL and then visit Langkawi
    Orang utans are not naturally-occurring in the peninsula, which means that the orang utans that you'd see in the peninsula were brought in (as captives) from Sabah (or even elsewhere like Sumatra) for tourist purposes.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Orang utans are not naturally-occurring in the peninsula, which means that the orang utans that you'd see in the peninsula were brought in (as captives) from Sabah (or even elsewhere like Sumatra) for tourist purposes.
    Thinking of hiring a car. A little bit apprehensive though, what are the roads like?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Hey Yittz, I might be able to get discount for Universal Studio (the full package that includes thrill rides) and free admission for the Zoo but I need the dates when you're coming.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Thinking of hiring a car. A little bit apprehensive though, what are the roads like?
    The highways are fine; just be prepared to pay the tolls (especially when you take a wrong exit, get lost and have to backtrack). The non-highways (trunk roads, roads in towns, etc) vary from place to place; in some places, they are OK, in other places they can be quite pot-holed. In villages and rural areas, you'd have to watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, livestock and what have you. And if you run over a farm animal (regardless of size), just speed the heck out of there.

Road signs are in Malay; STOP is BERHENTI, CAUTION is AWAS, etc. Highway signs (where the names of places are listed) can be misleading, if you're not familiar with the place. For example, you'd never get to my town via the highway from the airport because it's simply not listed; you've just have to drive from one town to another (in the desired general direction) until my town finally appears on the signboard.

Some drivers can have poor driving etiquette, so you'd need to be patient and/or anticipate what they might do, so that you don't get into trouble yourself.

I'm sorry I'm giving non-Malaysians (especially those who have not been to our country) a bad impression of our people, our roads and our manners, but I really do not want to tell yittz that everything is fine, and then he gets a bad experience or more on the roads here.

To all Malaysians, I apologise for being brutally honest.
    To all visitors who have experienced the reality of Malaysian roads, I apologise for all and any trouble that the roads and its users have caused you.

To all others who have yet to visit us, please don't let this deter you from visiting. Getting around by car is actually quiet convenient, if you have the assistance of local friends.
    Soon ... SOON!

The highways are fine; just be prepared to pay the tolls (especially when you take a wrong exit, get lost and have to backtrack). The non-highways (trunk roads, roads in towns, etc) vary from place to place; in some places, they are OK, in other places they can be quite pot-holed. In villages and rural areas, you'd have to watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, livestock and what have you. And if you run over a farm animal (regardless of size), just speed the heck out of there.

Road signs are in Malay; STOP is BERHENTI, CAUTION is AWAS, etc. Highway signs (where the names of places are listed) can be misleading, if you're not familiar with the place. For example, you'd never get to my town via the highway from the airport because it's simply not listed; you've just have to drive from one town to another (in the desired general direction) until my town finally appears on the signboard.

Some drivers can have poor driving etiquette, so you'd need to be patient and/or anticipate what they might do, so that you don't get into trouble yourself.

I'm sorry I'm giving non-Malaysians (especially those who have not been to our country) a bad impression of our people, our roads and our manners, but I really do not want to tell yittz that everything is fine, and then he gets a bad experience or more on the roads here.

To all visitors who have experienced the reality of Malaysian roads, I apologise for all and any trouble that the roads and its users have caused you.

To all others who have yet to visit us, please don't let this deter you from visiting. Getting around by car is actually quiet convenient, if you have the assistance of local friends.
    There goes that idea haha. Thank you so much for being honest. It just seemed easier to drive instead of returning to KL each time.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

There goes that idea haha. Thank you so much for being honest. It just seemed easier to drive instead of returning to KL each time.
    That was the main reason why I suggested that you spend half of your Malaysian holiday in Sandakan. Basically, you would get to see a lot of similar-type sights using Sandakan as a base, without the distance and hassle of going back and forth between KL and the other places. Then, the peninsula (or basically KL and its surrounding/nearby areas) would only be for the shopping, the eating and the big city life.

But never mind. Since you've made your flight bookings, you'd just have to make the best out of it.

And if you want to come to Klang, please let me know. I'll teach you to use the inter-city train, and I'll drive you around Klang. Just don't drop in on 13 Nov, 19-20 Nov, 27 Nov, 14 Dec and 18 Dec. I either have events at work, or working a later shift.
    Soon ... SOON!

Default Orangutan at Bukit Merah, Taiping

This is definitely a sanctuary, with baby orangs sucking bottles. I am not sure if you could see wild orangutan even if you went to Sepilok. I was planning to go there but a friend suggested Bukit Merah.

Another friend took the train going from Johore to way north, then he went to Langkawi, a popular island close to Thailand. He was very pleased with a new fast train route. Not sure what he meant.

If renewal of my passport is done by early next week, I should be visiting KL on a 4-day trip! Nothing deters moi from visiting places even if it may be dangerous/hazardous!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I just booked an Asia trip (which includes Singapore) so I'm bumping this thread so I can read through it later.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Likewise for SPCNETers in KL, Sabah, and Singapore, I'm coming to your backyard in 2014
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Singapore was nice. I was only there for a few days so I spent most of it at Marina Bay. Garden by the Bay is pretty awesome. I spent half a day there.

I will edit this post with some pictures once I resize them.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.