Thread: China web users slam nation's mine safety amid Chile rescue 33 miners

Default China web users slam nation's mine safety amid Chile rescue 33 miners

China web users slam nation's mine safety amid Chile rescue
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spacedaily.com/images-lg/china-coalmine-disaster-apr10-lg.jpg')
    by Staff Writers
    Beijing (AFP) Oct 13, 2010
    Internet users in China slammed the country's notoriously bad mine safety record on Wednesday as across the world in Chile, the historic rescue of 33 miners trapped underground for 68 days unfolded. "Lucky people who were born in Chile... If it was us, we would definitely have been buried alive and died," one user said on popular web portal sohu.com.
    "Chile's rescue operation has humiliated China. Think about it, so many Chinese workers die in mining disasters," added another.
    The first of 33 workers trapped underground in Chile for a record 10 weeks were pulled out Wednesday in scenes broadcast live around the world, including on Chinese state television.
    The Asian nation's mining sector is notoriously dangerous -- last year, 2,631 miners were killed, according to official statistics, but independent labour groups say the true figure is likely to be much higher.
    The high fatality rate is generally blamed on inefficiency and corruption in the sector, with coal mining particularly accident-prone. In some cases, officials have been accused of covering up the real number of victims.
    Even when 115 miners were rescued from a flooded mine in northern China in April, relatives complained they had initially been kept in the dark as to whether their loved ones were part of that lucky batch or the 38 who died.
    "We know who every person rescued is when they come up (in Chile), it's so transparent. In China, it's just not comparable," one web user from the central city of Changsha said on web portal sina.com.
    "China's leaders spend all their time in hotels, brothels, bars and banks, so where do they find the time to look after the lives of ordinary people and workers?" another netizen said on Sohu.
    The government regularly pledges to clean up safety problems in its mines.
    In July, Premier Wen Jiabao lamented the nation's "serious" work safety situation, ordering mining bosses to work side-by-side with workers in the pits to ensure that companies more closely observe safety rules.
    However deadly accidents are still routine.

The Link
    http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Ch...escue_999.html

It seems Wen Jiabao says many popular and good things, but nothing ever gets done. His words aren't worth even a single 粽子. Stop talking and start doing, "grandpa" Wen.
    Last edited by Dirt; 10-14-10 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    "Lucky people who were born in Chile... If it was us, we would definitely have been buried alive and died,"
    Any proof??

The Asian nation's mining sector is notoriously dangerous -- last year, 2,631 miners were killed, according to official statistics, but independent labour groups say the true figure is likely to be much higher.
    Again, any proof??

The high fatality rate is generally blamed on inefficiency and corruption in the sector, with coal mining particularly accident-prone. In some cases, officials have been accused of covering up the real number of victims.
    Again, any proof??

"China's leaders spend all their time in hotels, brothels, bars and banks, so where do they find the time to look after the lives of ordinary people and workers?"
    Any proof?? Are brothels not illegal in China??

If the working condition is so dangerous in China's mine, why don't the workers walk off the job and find a better one. Those mine owners can't force people to work for them.

TC, there's been way too many articles on mine incidents in China that it's hard to miss them out. Just go google them if you really want the proof that badly.

If the working condition is so dangerous in China's mine, why don't the workers walk off the job and find a better one. Those mine owners can't force people to work for them.
    Because people are poor and have little to no alternate options. Them finding a better job aren't as easy as you made it out to be, and in the first place it is already questionable whether they could find another job or not.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 10-14-10 at 11:47 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Perhaps it's way cheaper to pay compensation when accident occurs than spending money on the costly prevention and rescue operation. Unfortunately, in china most owners value money over life.