Thread: Most Over-Rated Movies

Default Most Over-Rated Movies

Thought of starting a thread on this, after watching the absolute disaster that is Eat Pray Love.

So what in your opinion are the most over-rated movies ever?

IMO, Korean New Wave has far surpassed Hollywood in production values, but the Americans don't know better yet.

Think we already have a thread like that, but here's my pick.

Iron Man 2 though it's universally agreed this is crap, so I don't know if I'd say overated or overhyped.
    Sherlock Holmes - I was hoping for a true to tradition detective story.

Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Pretty much anything by Michael Bay. And Steven Spielberg's 'serious' dramas.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

1. Twilight Saga - cheesiest stories, lousy acting
    2. Avatar - story is plain stupid
    3. All Resident Evil disasters
    4. Titanic - biggest disaster of all

Taxi Driver
    Raging Bull
    The Usual Suspects -- only two good things in the movie: Kevin Spacey and the ending
    Titanic -- L.A. Confidential got robbed
    The English Patient -- probably the most boring movie I've ever seen
    Shakespeare in Love
    The Lord of Rings trilogy
    Ocean's Eleven
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Brokeback Mountain
    Mystic River -- Sean Peen's overacting
    Juno
    Children of Men
    Little Miss Sunshine -- this one I enjoyed, but it wasn't as good as the hype
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

lol avatar and titanic is overrated?

imo:
    harry potter
    star wars
    lord of the rings
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Hurt Locker that critics loved for gritty "realism" that's really hollywood's false idea of war in Iraq.

well, by saying over-rated it means a movie that receives very high-rating but does not deserve that high rating, movies like Transformers is seriously not a high-rating movie lol, High Worldwide Grossing Movies doesnt mean high-rating, transformer is high-worldwide grossing but the rating is not very good, so seriously it does not belong to the Over-Rated category.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    IMO, Korean New Wave has far surpassed Hollywood in production values, but the Americans don't know better yet.
    Funny, I am American and agree with this.

Avatar, Titanic, Gladiator are my picks.
    When I wake up in the morning I always remind myself to 'Seize the Day.'

Post What bagage are you carrying?

Oh no didnt avatar pull at your heart strings, didnt you feel like the odd one out in smurf-orama hi def 3d etc...etc..comon admit you are a film buff and we wont cringe and make fun of you....dont you like those soft fluffy anime film effects that have finally made a life-like appearance in later life.

You should look to the past before deciding whats poor form than saying that its too old for rerun capability as it may even draw a tear of emotion or excitement. What you probably take for granted is that most films are based on dialogue of a very good book and most good screenwriters are book writers anyway if you didnt know that, including your anime genre.

But saying whether something is good bad poor or even over-rated may be wrong from a viewpoint of poor judgement based on real knowledge of the film and just heresay because you have seen it to its death over several reruns or revisions.

I only see a movie a maximum of 3 times. There is no point rewatching a movie for any return value after you know the storyline, the action, actors, parts, props, scenes, arrangement, and sound. Effects aside as they are a huge and current drawcard. You should be judgemental of scene arrangement and flow of the story throughout the production which helps if you are watching the movie a second time around, because the action and effects have less impact and the story must be worthy of holding your attention for a good 60% of the time. If you like a movie for special effects or action, learn to judge it on its sequence, fluidity of camera and panning, especially the lighting and the artistry of reworking fills - this is making the background realistic even if its not real. That can be hard to get right in segments of full frame panoramics like in 'Lord of The Rings' and editing out from a directors cut can spoil an otherwise continuous scene.

Also the the cast of people in part who are very much the backing and need for a few important makers, are unsung heros in great movies. Getting the story on their part or the makings of how the film was shot can give you a completely different perspective on a movie as it has a life thats less seen and heard about. You will have to work hard to get background notes or into interviews that fill the parts of the jigsaw in moviemaking adventures and hardship.

I dont ever watch reruns from TV as anything with an adverts or cut-scenes from the original is not the original and is not worthy of watching from a director's or critic's view. See it for what it really is, and thats it... There is no sense discrediting something when you have complete disregard for what goes into its making, as your statements have no real basis of thought.

If you are really over a movie as any over-rated movie comes with it super creditor advertising jingles and toys, its sometimes better to to let it ride its own death train. However its also a known that over-rated movies bridge the generation gap in general viewing and these are classification (Family Movies). And it is why over-rated does so well in longevity, because many more generations will watch this movie with their parents and so on... The like of 'The Lion King' has reached a 4th generation so far in its life as a huge success, and the following of genre sci-fi 'Star Wars' fans still brings them in costume to historic rerun events worldwide.

So what are you harping at? What is really over-rated exactly? Can you judge critically what this means. I can tell that some statements dont exactly say anything of sorts to basis their movie choice as over-rated. So i will try to explain what it means for all of you. It is when a movie has no real basis for being screened to the public other than filling a space to invite a possible increase in popularity polling. This usually is done to improve a TV channel rating in a give time slot or to compete alegedly with something more entertaining elsewhere. The movie itself is not over-rated, its the advertising that surrounds it that is over-rated and it fabricates an otherwise good flick with screen cut adverts that take the best scenes to provoke a resonable number of viewers. Thats what polling is. But, TV is actually dying as a means of media entertainment globally. You may think thats impossiible, but a few generations from now will not be buying TV's and instead using 3rd or 4th generation science hardware thats more portable and economic. Times change and we all move on - what we take with us is memories.

The high of this generation is computer hardware. everything rides on the high of that in some way to support of deliver another form of entertainment and meanwhile the movie buff is for some a ghostship walker. Meaning cinemas never fill unless they get their over-rated advertising campaigner to push neccessity into every corner of your life, through wall posters, jingles, fast-food giveaways, console simulation to the movie games, toys and collectables for all ages, the list goes on and on. Why? You dont drive this train, but you do support it in some way. All generations have their standouts of trends, and thats due to the economic time and events in history. You cant break a trend like the current advertising of over-stimulus or 'in your face' loud confrontation. Nothing less than a bombardment of senses will break concentration from generation SMS and only then if they are not wearing noise cancelling earphones with their ipod. I do it and its bliss not listening to the humm of checkout operators when doing the shopping.

But movies can also be a generation bridge of communication that seems to keep us all in check through viewing inovation and effectively imitating some of past imagination and creative screen journey. Movies like to mimic what we have been, what we might be, what we'd like to do, where we'd love to go, how we might be seen and more.

What rating can be given to something in an over-rated form and by what means is it being biased? Advertising is not entirely driven by ratings or polls or even trends. It is supported by industry that relies on furthing the applications of entertainment, newsmedia, pulp production and printing. If you work or have worked in one of these fields, you will know how large the proportion of populus relies on this for their earnings. Its about 25% worldwide and its expanding due to the internet and more diverse forms of communication tools and gadgetry. So how do you feel now about over-rated and are you getting a clearer picture of the big wheel.

Sure there's plenty of over-rated going on in almost any advertising possibility, you can make something better than it seems or give it a new name as have some movies when their rights have been sold off. A name change is not extraordinary to draw attention from all without raising awareness, but it wont be to the big screen. More likely it will be to improve or bring attention to an actor, actress or movie producer of noteworthy.

I'd really like to see what other think of over-ratedness in movies thay have listed than just specifying a name. it seems sensless and is a bit disturbing that people are willing to discredit a production without saying what it is that makes their pick over-rated. With no basis in their statement it makes ther comments a bit hollow (sorry but I'm being honest). Whilst some of these movies where epic for their time, we have moved on to other needs and whims. A movie can only retain you attention for given amount of time and that is based on your likes, dislikes, ethics, cultural bias, and social standing, unless you are are slighted as psychotic or disturbed. Those who see a movie more than 16 times are of the later by scientific estimation, not my own thoughts in statement and are driven by mainly by the enjoyment or satisfaction of emotion.

Back to the subject - Anything that the majority like is going to be over-rated at some time or other only because there's going to be something else that will eventually replace this over-rated whatever it is. Its the big wheel of fortune and design cycle of life. Its new - everyone wants it once its accepted as useful or has great aclaim through the critics of its genre. If it doesnt make a name its discarded as part of the 75% of all the movies you wont see on any screen cinema, and sadly some of them are really much better though they are generally low budget productions.

And lastly dont rely on what other people think of a movie, go see it or get a copy and view it for yourself, then make real comments that stand to reason about the content of what you've seen and what over-rated material smothers it true value. If it's has been, there are generation to come that will be watching your has-been movie for the first time and likely experience some emotion and imagination for the experience.
    Last edited by cafelatte; 01-28-11 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo's galore

Harry potter and the Hp series are the best for me.

Avatar for sure. After watching the movie, I was like: "That's it. That's what the hype is all about?" I think the most interesting thing about Avatar is that James Cameroon spent something like 12yrs or so to finally productize the movie and he spent God-knows-how-much money making this movie. The movie itself is mediocre.

I mostly watch a movie if there's a hype about it or it does well in the box office or it happens to be the genre that I like. Avatar met all of my 3 requirements and it was the biggest disappointment so far.

The Dark Knight is definitely the most overrated movie of all time. It's rabid fans were saying it was better than The Godfather. Inception is similarly overrated, probably due to spillover from the Nolan fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by amyhuynh View Post
    Avatar for sure. After watching the movie, I was like: "That's it. That's what the hype is all about?" I think the most interesting thing about Avatar is that James Cameroon spent something like 12yrs or so to finally productize the movie and he spent God-knows-how-much money making this movie. The movie itself is mediocre.

I mostly watch a movie if there's a hype about it or it does well in the box office or it happens to be the genre that I like. Avatar met all of my 3 requirements and it was the biggest disappointment so far.
    I mostly watched Avatar for the breathtaking visuals/CGI/3D. That was definitely groundbreaking and worth the price of admission for me.

However, I agree that it was overrated because story-wise it was completely mediocre and therefore doesn't really "deserve" to be the highest grossing movie of all time, and its hype/praise was definitely more than it deserved. But, it was still an enjoyable watch, so not a disappointment for me. I least I felt like it was worthy of me paying the extra money for the 3D effects (whereas for a lot of "3D" movies I don't even notice much of a difference).

Quote Originally Posted by kengyew View Post
    1. Twilight Saga - cheesiest stories, lousy acting
    2. Avatar - story is plain stupid
    3. All Resident Evil disasters
    4. Titanic - biggest disaster of all
    I am totally with you on Twilight, WTF is that?! I finally decided to watch the first movie because I didn't feel like I could legitimately rant on about the stupid Twilight phenomenon without having watched it...and it was even worse than I expected. It is beyond me why it is so popular.

TITANIC THOUGH?! That's like my all-time favourite movie!!! XD Its praise and hype are totally deserved, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyChrono View Post
    The Dark Knight is definitely the most overrated movie of all time. It's rabid fans were saying it was better than The Godfather. Inception is similarly overrated, probably due to spillover from the Nolan fanboys.
    I actually thought Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were breakthroughs for the Batman movie franchise. Previous movies were really campy, especially the Joel Schumacher ones. But between Batman Begins vs The Dark Knight, Batman Begins was the better movie.

I think most importantly is not to have overly high expectations.

I love Avatar and Titanic. For me going to see a movie is about whether it is worthy of my time and money. I think both movies are beautifully created and especially Avatar is very creative and the special effects are far from my imagination.

If to say anything that they are overrated, it’s the simple storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy111 View Post
    For me its Twilight series. I don't know why it is being rated so highly every time. The story is so slow. Yeah i admit there are some fantastic visuals but not to be rated so highly.
    What visuals are you talking about? I don't see anything fantastic about Twilight. The series isn't even overrated; everybody laughs at the series. Being popular doesn't equal highly rated and Twilight is simply very popular among young females.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?