View Poll Results: Whom do you consider to be Gwok Jing's *main* martial arts teacher(s)?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Gong Nam 7 Freaks

3 17.65%
  • North Beggar Hung 7 Gung

14 82.35%

Thread: Who is foremost Gwok Jing's martial arts teacher(s)?

Default Who is foremost Gwok Jing's martial arts teacher(s)?

When someone writes or says the phrase, "Gwok Jing's martial arts teacher(s)," who comes to mind first: the Gong Nam 7 Freaks or North Beggar Hung 7 Gung?

Obviously, Hung 7 Gung had much better martial arts to teach Gwok Jing, and did a far better job teaching Gwok Jing than the Freaks did. Hung 7 Gung, however, only taught Gwok Jing for a very short time whereas the Freaks had taught Gwok Jing for years and years (since Gwok Jing was a child). In light of this, who was more important to Gwok Jing's overall martial arts development and should be thought of as his *main* martial arts teacher?

I think of Jiangnan 7 freaks cuz they were his first teachers and taught him for a long time.

There was also much more emotional attachment shown in the story between GJ and JN7G, like GJ's reactions after 5 of them got murdered. GJ might have responded in a similar way if H7G got murdered but it didn't happen so we didn't see it.
    Last edited by Laboomsikashod; 10-22-10 at 05:24 AM.

Guo Jing barely learned anything from the Freaks. He even learned more, and improved more, from Ma Yu than them. Learning from the Freaks was similar to young Yang Guo and Murong Fu learning a zillion arts: trying to do too many things with no focus.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Voted for QiQong but I still think Ma Yu was responsible for Guo Jing's future prowess by bequeathing the neigong to him. Before Mayu, GJ was a big zero, after Mayu's tutelage, GJ's a hero.

Those Jiangnan 7 Freaks were so mediocre with their own MAs but nevertheless toughened up GJ for his future endeavours.

wow ken , without this thread [ and you asking such a seemingly obvious question [-to me-]] i would never have thought anyone would dream of not picking hqg.

obviously i chose hqg, great job on this thread man some peoples view on things is amazing

I must be one of the odd ones out. When someone mentions "GJ's martial arts teacher", I immediately think of 7 freaks first, then the next second I'd think of H7G as well.

If the question was about which of the two taught him the best martial arts then there's only 1 answer and there certainly wouldn't be a need for a poll.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Guo Jing barely learned anything from the Freaks. He even learned more, and improved more, from Ma Yu than them. Learning from the Freaks was similar to young Yang Guo and Murong Fu learning a zillion arts: trying to do too many things with no focus.
    My opinion:

Before Ma Yu, GJ was not good. After Ma Yu's lessones, GJ was quite good (related to his heroic act in the battle before he went to Central Plain). However, without 7 freaks' material, GJ may not be as good as he was. Same go for his lessons with H7G, I believe, without his martial art background from Ma Yu (or even 7 freaks) together with his previous combat experience, GJ may not do well when he was studying with H7G. So, basically, everything keep building up from one to another.

I believe 7 freaks' martial art is very practical and useful for GJ however he probably can make those skill practical & useful after he got lessons from Ma Yu and H7G (and even more after studying 9Yin). In my opinion, GJ's skill is very broad and good on most every type of skills and weapons in various situations (one-on-one, one-on-many, many-on-one for both duel and battle). Only Ma Yu and H7G' lessons cannot make GJ this far.

So, to me, every of his masters/teachers are very important. I mean everyone include his archery master/teacher as well. They are pretty much equally important but they play different significant roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    When someone writes or says the phrase, "Gwok Jing's martial arts teacher(s)," who comes to mind first: the Gong Nam 7 Freaks or North Beggar Hung 7 Gung?
    He also had another very important teacher whom you missed... Zhou Botong, who taught him the two-handed fighting technique, the 72 vacant fists and 9 yin. Before encountering ZBT, he was still a bit below Ouyang Ke with the full set of 18 dragon palms from H7G, but afterwards he could blow him away in one hit with double dragon-palms (though admittedly there was an element of surprise there) and could even last a short time against the likes of Ouyang Feng. The encounter with ZBT IMO also marked the point at which Guo Jing started transitioning from a decent fighter towards a great-level one.

There are a couple of ways of interpreting your questions when you say "foremost".

Having said that, the 7 freaks may have taught him the basics of kung fu, but Guo Jing is known "foremost" for his Xiang Long Shiba Zhang and I think H7G should be considerd his "foremost" teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    He also had another very important teacher whom you missed... Zhou Botong, who taught him the two-handed fighting technique, the 72 vacant fists and 9 yin. Before encountering ZBT, he was still a bit below Ouyang Ke with the full set of 18 dragon palms from H7G, but afterwards he could blow him away in one hit with double dragon-palms (though admittedly there was an element of surprise there) and could even last a short time against the likes of Ouyang Feng. The encounter with ZBT IMO also marked the point at which Guo Jing started transitioning from a decent fighter towards a great-level one.
    This is true, but because Gwok Jing and Chow Bak Tung never related to each other as student/teacher, it's hard to think of them that way despite the fact that Chow Bak Tung taught a variety of powerful and useful martial arts to Gwok Jing.

Learning from the 7 freaks is lame as MRF learning all these arts and not specializing in any of them, that was how weak GJ was...he didnt specialize anything from the 7 freaks....

the priest that taught GJ durin his childhood did more development to him then any of the 7 freaks did which didnt benefit him in anything, what he learnt from the priest was the foundation for him to learn high level arts...

now if you going to reward the 7 freaks, then your saying we should also award the person who taught HL18P to KF when he learnt most of his kungfu under his shaolin master priests, where he was already a strong fighter b4 elected to beggar leader