Thread: What is a girly girl?

Default What is a girly girl?

I think I'm pretty feminine. I'm a makeup loving, mani-pedi getting, and skirt wearing female [had 15 laid out for the season, in fact]. However, I've noticed that most guys and girl would not categorize me in the girly girl category. That makes me think that there other personality characteristics, which cannot be obviously seen, that makes a woman ultra feminine. But I don't know what they are. I had asked a guy friend what he thought about the girly girls in his life, and he replied that most of the them suffered from being overly dependent of their male partners. Please, I don't believe that. Dependence makes you really feminine? I ask because this is important to me. I'm a little bit slighted that others would think that I'm not a true "girl"...though I'm not heavily leaning towards the masculine side in their opinions either.

So, what are some physical and behavioral characteristics that a female may have that would cause you to put them into the "girly girl" category?
    I like me.

I don't really know what classifies a girly girl. I mean, what's a boyish boy?
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    I don't really know what classifies a girly girl. I mean, what's a boyish boy?
    Never came across that term... but I guess that's your point... Girly girl IMO means the conventional/traditional type of girl; weak, submissive, sweet, teary, likes to be pretty, wears dresses... you know, not at all like the modern cows girls are these days... at least according to some men's opinions (the cow).
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

A girly girl in my view likes light colors, pink, light blue, green, purple, yellow etc.

Partakes in activities commonly associated with women, or activies that lack a vulgarity. Cooking, keeps plush toys etc.

Emphasises feminine features, long hair, skirts, clothes with lighter colours, sunflower dresses (this is for the how I met your mother fans), earings, voice etc.

Likes things that are cute e.g plush toys, animals like cats and bunnies.

Anything that is girly, is what a guy would be made fun of for having.

Boyish charm=Boyish boy.

Girly girl=dresses only in dresses and acts cute, expects a man to take on traditional man roles like changing her oil and fixing her whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Anything that is girly, is what a guy would be made fun of for having.
    My favourite response by far. Though it only applies to straight guys, no?
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

-Rarely leaves the house without doing her hair and make-up
    -Wears a lot of skirts/dresses/blouses/high heels/accessories (as Banh Bi mentioned)
    -Owns plenty of handbags/perfume
    -Always carries spare lipstick/gloss in her purse
    -Loves PINK/shopping/taking photos/painting her nails (or getting acrylics)
    -Prefers to drink everything with a straw
    -Usually high maintenance
    -Aware of all the latest fashion and make-up trends

This list is not exhaustive, but you get the general idea. Anyway, just because you're not into all or most of these things, doesn't mean you're not feminine.
    Last edited by skylee; 10-23-10 at 01:37 AM.

Whenever I think of a girly girl, I think of those typical cutesy, doll-eyed Asian girls in Asia with their long curled hair and pink frilly skirts. A lot of them will appear weak with annoying whiny voices. But don't underestimate them. Incredibly manipulative. Evil, with the big E. =)

stay in the kitchen
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by skylee View Post
    -Wears a lot of skirts/dresses/blouses/high heels/accessories (as Banh Bi mentioned)

This list is not exhaustive, but you get the general idea. Anyway, just because you're not into all or most of these things, doesn't mean you're not feminine.
    I also think lacking in the athletic department can sort of count as a girly-girl trait. Reason why I said sort of is because of Maria Sharapova(?) who seems to dress girly with pretty color dresses and dangly earings, but can hit the tennis balls pretty hard.
    Less Than Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    Whenever I think of a girly girl, I think of those typical cutesy, doll-eyed Asian girls in Asia with their long curled hair and pink frilly skirts. A lot of them will appear weak with annoying whiny voices. But don't underestimate them. Incredibly manipulative. Evil, with the big E. =)
    ::GASP:: hahahaha
    I like me.

most people around me would categorize me as 'girly'. i like cute stuff, frilly bits, a hopeless romantic, smiles very often and speaks softly. always in dresses and skirts; and people on various occasions had compared me with 'dolls' (and im sure they don't mean chuckie!)

i also tend to get along better with male supervisors than female ones (although that's usually true even for boyish girls, boyish boys...im not so sure about girly boys though); that's why the only way for girly girls like me to survive relatively unharmed is to work in a male-infested environment.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by skylee View Post

I'm currently stuck on and off with this one and unable to go away . Just can't stand the childish and the throaty voice when she want something, make me want to spank her really bad. It's all pink, everything is pink, damn.

i like heels, handbags, and fashion. i take care of myself, likes pink, cupcake, and hello kitty. i dress up everyday and look presentable. my nails change colors every week. i wear eyeliner and straighten my hair every day. my clothes are quite colorful and feminine.
    but i'm by no means a 'girly girl'
    girly girls are girls that are afraid to do dirty work i think. they'd work-out at the gym/do yoga but probably won't see them hiking or riding a bike. they like their shrimps already peeled and freak the **** out if they have to go on a 2 day camping trip. if that's the case, expect them to bring a suitcase for a month's-worth trip lol.

whiny *****s
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    Indeed.

Your preferred pattern of diction alone has earned you a permanent reprieve from that particular label.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    i like heels, handbags, and fashion. i take care of myself, likes pink, cupcake, and hello kitty. i dress up everyday and look presentable. my nails change colors every week. i wear eyeliner and straighten my hair every day. my clothes are quite colorful and feminine.
    girly girls are girls that are afraid to do dirty work i think. they'd work-out at the gym/do yoga but probably won't see them hiking or riding a bike. they like their shrimps already peeled and freak the **** out if they have to go on a 2 day camping trip. if that's the case, expect them to bring a suitcase for a month's-worth trip lol.

whiny *****s
    oh well, anyone who sees me in RL will described me as a girly ~

even though i never do makeup, and the nature of my job is pretty much 'dirty work' ~ (ship construction); whereby even men don't always want to be in it.

and i don't really appear independant. an ex-colleague once described me as '小鸟依人'; another friend said she wished she could be more like me, 'feminine'; the kind where the guy can feel he's macho and see his worth because i will happily lighten my burden and drop it on anybody and everybody who is willing to shoulder. ^o^

sometimes i like the idea that some people had the conservative thinking of 弱女子 ~ so im not expected to take out too much work.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Do girls who giggle a lot count?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Do girls who giggle a lot count?
    Hm...not sure? I know lots of girls who laughter sounds like giggling, I'm one of them. Perhaps, maybe the ones who giggle mindlessly alot? I've only ever encountered those while I was in high school though haha and can't quite remember if they were girly girls or not.
    I like me.