Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would you like to see in a new 笑傲江湖 / Smiling Proud Wanderer TV series?

Default Who would you like to see in a new 笑傲江湖 / Smiling Proud Wanderer TV series?

It's being a while, almost 10 years, since the last adaptation of 笑傲江湖 / Smiling Proud Wanderer in 2001, not counting the modern spin-off 黑糖群侠传. And SPW being one of the most popular Jin Yong books, I'm hoping the producers will think about making a new adaptation soon!

If a new SPW TV series is coming out, who would you like to see in it??

Here's my wishlist!

Linghu Chong - Hu Ge
    Hu Ge had said in a interview that his favourite wuxia character is Linghu Chong, I really want to see him act it out and he'll be good at it too if it was his favourite char! And plus his expertise with ancient dramas, and geat performances in Chinese Paladin 1 & 3, Legend of the Condor Heroes, The Myth, etc makes him the perfect choice imo!

Ren Yingying - Liu Shishi
    Liu Shishi is in the same company as Hu Ge and has been in a number of TV series with him, but each time his love interest is always someone else! So I reckon Liu deserves "女一号" (first lady) role with Hu Ge this time! Ren Yingying is a complicated character with many different faces and emotions. But we have seen from Liu Shishi that she can act out the cold, the cute, the fierce, the bossy, the loving, and many different styles from her works such as Legend of the Condor Heroes, Chinese Paladin 3 and Clothing the World.

Yue Lingshan - Jing Tian or Yang Mi
    Jing Tian - An upcoming actress (and a singer too) - young, very cute and very lively. She's from Beijing Dance Academy so she should be okay with the martial arts moves. She hasn't been in any wuxia series yet, but here's a great place to start!
    Yang Mi - Perfect for a character like YLS, and it'll be Chinese Paladin 3 all over again.

Lin Pingzhi - Qiao Zhenyu
    He did a great job as CJL in Book & Sword 2009. And I loved watching him getting his poor *** kicked around in DoMD, he'll be in for more in SPW.

Yue Buqun - Li Jie
    Yes, the Lin Pingzhi from 10 years ago! It wouldn't be hard to make him look a bit older now to fit Yue Buqun. He's got the kind and caring look, and the scheming, villainous look. He'd also be continuing his tradition of castrating himself to learn the Bixie Sword Manual!

Dongfang Bubai - Kong Lin
    With her usually short hairstyle, I reckon Kong Lin looks more like a man than most other actresses. With a bit of work it should be easy to make her look gender neutral. And I loved her performance of Huang Rong in Return of the Condor Heroes!

Ren Woxing - Elvis Tsui
    Elvis Tsui has been in so many wuxia movies and TV series that whenever I think of a villainous, powerful, middle-age man in wuxia I immediately think of him! I don't think he's acted Ren Woxing before, so we can add Ren Woxing to his long list of wuxia villians.

Lan Fenghuang - Eva Huang
    I didn't think much of Eva Huang initially, in fact I felt she was the least deserving of the 四小花旦 title. However after seeing her as Wen Qingqing in Sword Stained with Royal Blood, I thought she'll be pretty good in wuxia series. She probably won't want to act in a minor role like Lan Fenghuang, but I'm also hoping that the new adaptation will feature more of Lan Fenghuang's story, and it's a wishlist anyway hehe!
    Last edited by Laboomsikashod; 12-21-10 at 07:28 AM.

They usually do a reboot every decade, but the 2001 CTV version was properly done and assembled to perfect...probably one of the best series to date i have scene from CTV where more focus was on storyline, costumes and scenery, choreograph sword fighting scenes and NO CGI...brings back memories of watchin WUXIA series from the 80s to mid 90s...

I think Liu Shishi would be so fit as Ren Yingying. She has definitely cold and firm appearance, without leaving her beauty and pure persona.

But I don't think about pairing her with any of Hu Ge or Yuan Hong anymore. I think it's too much now, and it's time to find her new companion...
    Safety First!!
    No work is so urgent that you can forget safety!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovejunkfood View Post
    I think Liu Shishi would be so fit as Ren Yingying. She has definitely cold and firm appearance, without leaving her beauty and pure persona.

But I don't think about pairing her with any of Hu Ge or Yuan Hong anymore. I think it's too much now, and it's time to find her new companion...
    I don't think Liu Shi Shi is pretty enough to be Ren Ying Ying. She looks pretty average to me ( I was actually and still am confused as to how she made it as an actress....but I think mainland China has a different standard of beauty than Taiwan/Hong Kong). Liu Shi Shi looks a little like Liu Yi Fei, but not as pretty. If anything, Liu Yi Fei is probably a better choice as Ren Ying Ying (In my opinion anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by NarutoSakura View Post
    I don't think Liu Shi Shi is pretty enough to be Ren Ying Ying. She looks pretty average to me ( I was actually and still am confused as to how she made it as an actress....but I think mainland China has a different standard of beauty than Taiwan/Hong Kong). Liu Shi Shi looks a little like Liu Yi Fei, but not as pretty. If anything, Liu Yi Fei is probably a better choice as Ren Ying Ying (In my opinion anyway).
    i agree that liu yi fei is prettier than liu shi shi, but i dont think liu yi fei could carry the role of ren ying ying either. i just dont see the fit. idk, maybe its because xu qing did such a good job of the role in the 01 version that i cant really see anyone else in that role. the 2001 version will always be classic to me.

hu ge makes good ling hu chong.
    ling pinzhi should be played by oy yang ke from the one with hu ge.
    ren ying ying should be played by yang mi, or tang yan. either one could play that role or play ling hu chong sister.

after seeing the myth hu ge will play good ling hu chong, n i think it fits him very well. actually hu ge is very versatile. he'll be good to play duan yi, yang guo, zhang wu ji. most of the characters from jin yong or gu long novels, hu ge will fit to play the roles.

but for the girls i'll really like to see tang yan, yang mi, liu yi fei again.

I don't think Liu Yifei will be in TV for a long time as she wants to concentrate on her movie career. It's a pity because she was way more successful in TV than movies. None of her movies have really blown people away. Hopefully the new Chinese Ghost Story will be her breakthrough movie.

Anyway, for Ling Hu Chong, I agree Hu Ge is the best choice. For Ren Ying Ying, I see Yang Mi more than Liu Shi Shi. Just think the Hu Ge-Yang Mi pairing is much better than with Liu Shi Shi.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 11-21-10 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mido-Ban View Post
    ling pinzhi should be played by oy yang ke from the one with hu ge.
    LOL the guy that played ou yang ke from the new LOCH actually DID play lin pingzhi in the 2001 version of smiling proud wanderer!! haha. he was damn good too =D

really? after you mention that is him. well he looks better in lotch 08, but i guess his character in lotch08 got me interested in his acting etc.

didn't the guy who play ling pin zhi in state of divinity 2000 with richie ren played ling pin zhi in the 80s version?

also i thought yuen woo ping was making a movie version of smiling proud wanderer? i last remember that takashi kaneshiro was suppose to play ling hu chong, n li ya pengs lotch huang rong(forgot her name) was suppose to play ren ying ying.

^I think you mean Zhou Xun. I've heard that too, although I haven't heard too, though I haven't heard any updates since, like, February. I don't know much about XAJH, but I really like Zhou Xun and she can do pretty much any role. I can't say any preferences before I find out more about RYY's charactger, though.

I don't think any of LYF or Yang Mi would fit Ren Ying Ying. Both of them look so vulnerable, but Ren Ying Ying, for me, seems to be a beautiful and tough girl. I don't think I can bear to see LYF's unexpressive figures as Ren Ying Ying.

I really wonder who will fit the role of Dongfang Bubai? Should the role be played by a man or a woman?
    Safety First!!
    No work is so urgent that you can forget safety!

The guy who played Lin Pingzhi in 2001 did a great job of it, but he may be a little old now to play that role again, as LPZ is a young man. Hoping a newcomer will take that role, but LPZ's story is so sad... filled anger, tears, betrayal and revenge, it will definitely be a challenge.

As much as I like and respect Lui Yifei, I do not see her as Ren Yingying at all. Yang Mi would be all right, although I think she'd fit best as the jealous and talkative Wen Qingqing instead!

also i thought yuen woo ping was making a movie version of smiling proud wanderer? i last remember that takashi kaneshiro was suppose to play ling hu chong, n li ya pengs lotch huang rong(forgot her name) was suppose to play ren ying ying.
    Here's the Wuxiasociety thread about the movie: http://www.wuxiasociety.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4597

Latest updates from that thread (which is from back in Feb 2010) is that LHC will now be played by Daniel Wu or Huang Xiaoming and RYY will be either Zhou Xun or Li Bingbing. Huang Xiaoming would make a perfect LHC I reckon, seeing what he can do as Yang Guo and Wei Xiaobao, and Li Bingbing is pretty good for RYY too, I'll be going for those two. However I'm personally against it being made into a movie as too much detail will be lost.

And there hasn't been any news about this movie for a while, not sure if it's just a rumour or something...

I really wonder who will fit the role of Dongfang Bubai? Should the role be played by a man or a woman?
    I believe DFBB is usually played by a woman. It would look horrendous for a male actor to be wearing make-up, woman's clothing and acting like a woman! (or crawling all over Yang Lianting!)

Quote Originally Posted by Laboomsikashod View Post
    I believe DFBB is usually played by a woman. It would look horrendous for a male actor to be wearing make-up, woman's clothing and acting like a woman! (or crawling all over Yang Lianting!)
    Actually, DFBB in the 1996 TVB version is played by a guy.

Latest updates from that thread (which is from back in Feb 2010) is that LHC will now be played by Daniel Wu or Huang Xiaoming and RYY will be either Zhou Xun or Li Bingbing. Huang Xiaoming would make a perfect LHC I reckon, seeing what he can do as Yang Guo and Wei Xiaobao, and Li Bingbing is pretty good for RYY too, I'll be going for those two. However I'm personally against it being made into a movie as too much detail will be lost.

And there hasn't been any news about this movie for a while, not sure if it's just a rumour or something...

HXM and LBB would my top two picks as well, although i cant help but wonder if they might be a little too old for the roles now...

in the 2001 version, i believe Dong Fang Bu Bai was played by an actual man. He was very good though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    HXM and LBB would my top two picks as well, although i cant help but wonder if they might be a little too old for the roles now...

in the 2001 version, i believe Dong Fang Bu Bai was played by an actual man. He was very good though.
    The good thing is that LHC is older than most other JY protagonists, I think he's around 26 at the start of the novel. So if HXM can play a ~20 year old WXB back in 2007 I reckon he should be okay with a 26 year old LHC in the next few years! I think LBB is about the same age as Zhou Xun. I'm not sure how old RYY is compared to LHC, does anyone know?

I found on some websites that Mao Weitao who played DFBB in 2001 is female, but she often plays male roles in Yue opera.
    http://www.china.org.cn/english/NM-e/107781.htm
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...-Factual-Error

Anyways, I'm hoping that a female actress would play DFBB. I thought Brigitte Lin's version was very good.
    Last edited by Laboomsikashod; 11-23-10 at 11:52 PM.

The good thing is that LHC is older than most other JY protagonists, I think he's around 26 at the start of the novel. So if HXM can play a ~20 year old WXB back in 2007 I reckon he should be okay with a 26 year old LHC in the next few years! I think LBB is about the same age as Zhou Xun. I'm not sure how old RYY is compared to LHC, does anyone know?

I found on some websites that Mao Weitao who played DFBB in 2001 is female, but she often plays male roles in Yue opera.
    http://www.china.org.cn/english/NM-e/107781.htm
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...-Factual-Error

Anyways, I'm hoping that a female actress would play DFBB. I thought Brigitte Lin's version was very good.
    oh okay my mistake then, sorry

If the choices aren't limited to living Chinese artists only, I'd sell my car to be able to watch a Westernized XAJH series in which HSH Grace Kelly plays Ren Yingying and Audrey Hepburn plays Yue Lingshan. With the experience of playing the Don, Marlon Brando would be perfect as Ren Woxing. Clint Eastwood's image of a badass would make him an excellent choice for the role of Xiang Wentian. Charlie Chaplin must be included in the cast as 1 of the 6 Immortals too. To be more realistic, though, I'd like to see Gao Yuanyuan play RYY. She's 30+ already but her beauty is still great, not far off from that of a 20 year old actress, and unlike some popular contemporary fellow actresses, she knows how to act. For the role of Yue Lingshan, judging by her performance in Lian Cheng Jue, I think Shu Chang would fit this role as she has that cute appearance and playful disposition of the Yue Lingshan in the book.

Looks like this is on a number of other people's wish lists as well...

Mocked up XAJH 2011 opening theme - http://www.56.com/u66/v_NTY4MjM1MDM.html

With cast as follows:
    令狐冲 LHC - 胡歌 Hu Ge
    任盈盈 RYY - 安以轩 Ady An
    岳灵珊 YLS - 杨幂 Yang Mi
    林平之 LPZ - 袁弘 Yuan Hong
    仪琳 Yilin - 刘诗诗 Liu Shishi
    任我行 RWX - 黄秋生 Anthony Wong
    岳不群 YBQ - 赵毅 Zhao Yi (Qiu Chuji in LOCH08)

^ ooh i actually think that ady would be a pretty good choice for ren ying ying, not that i consider it. she did pretty well in the role of zhao min, and for some reason i find the characters slightly similar.
    although i don't really want to see YH in a role where he castrates himself and becomes all feminine...but it would be a good role to exercise his acting!