Thread: Help with identifying a movie

Default Help with identifying a movie

I recently remembered a rather nice movie which I watched at least 25-30 years ago, and have no idea what the title is, or even who the actors are. The plot is as follows:-

A great martial artist, Shangguan Zheng sets out on a journey around wulin with his daughter and 3 disciples to challenge other masters for the title of 江南拳王. One of his opponents, Sha Zhentian, is killed after the duel by an unknown assassin, and everyone blames Shangguan because when they arrived he was standing over Sha's dead body, having fought off the assassin. Sha's son, Shaoying, knowing his dad was killed, but not knowing by who (his family didn't want him going out and getting himself killed before he was ready) leaves home and searches for a master to train under, finally finding Shangguan. After watching and following Shangguan's group for a while, he is finally accepted when he correctly guesses why Shangguan's last opponent lost the fight (weapons master who could use all weapons was master of none). Shaoying gets bullied a lot by his 3 martial brothers, but works very hard and finally earns their respect when he wins the last fight which Shangguan needed to win to get the title of 江南拳王. Shangguan had a cold, so the other master proposed that they send 3 disciples out for a best of 3 fight. The decider was won by Shaoying (who actually took on all three enemies at once).

Heading home, he is horrified to learn from his relatives that the person he needs to seek revenge on is Shangguan himself. He recalls meeting an old man who once told him "if you someday need another master, look me up". He meets up with another secretive master who teaches Shaoying the "last three moves of Baiwei" to counter Shangguan's "Nine moves of Baiwei". Shaoying challenges Shangguan and wins, although he hasn't got the heart to kill him.

The secretive master arrives and reveals that he is Shangguan's old martial brother Gu Yingfeng who poisoned their master, stole the last three pages of the Baiwei manual from Shangguan, and also murdered Sha Zhentian to frame Shangguan. A tired Shaoying attempts to fight Gu but is no match, until Shangguan recalls that his teacher once taught him that Baiwei moves counter each other. By watching the fight, he prompts Shaoying to use three of the nine moves which directly and spectacularly counter Gu's three moves, ending with Shaoying killing Gu with a very very painful kick between his legs. Everyone lives happily ever after.

I can picture the faces, the fights, the names, the music, but have no clue what the movie is called, and it's driving me nuts!!
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 11-08-10 at 03:36 AM.