Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yang Guo with 18 Dragon Subdueing Palms

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    So how does XLN use Jade Maiden?! I'm assuming the real 2-person Jade maiden isn't two people standing side by side swing swords with only one arm each...

So how does XLN use a 2 person form by herself?
    We had this discussion in another thread where L/R doesn't make too much sense. Most skills require full body movement along with your motions so it makes no sense how you can use two different skills at once with anywhere near the same efficiency or power.

Even in swordplay I imagine covering your weakness is probably achieved by attacking the opponent from another angle so he can't exploit it, but at some point you can't really reach all angles from your lone position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The main goal of Left/Right Hand Technique is to confuse the opponent. If I use a stroke of Hong Lung 18 Palms in one hand (even if it's one of the very few that can be used with one hand) and a Vacant Fist in the other, the opponent is going to be confused because two very different kinds of martial arts are coming at him at the same time. That's going to crosswire him...perhaps long enough for me to exploit a weakness.

It's like this prank I used to play on friends in high school: I would look down at the ground and point downward, but I would say at the same time, "Look up in the sky! A bird!" My doing both at the same time (looking and pointing downward, but verbally commanding someone to look to the sky at a bird, where people usually expect to see birds) would completely crosswire them for a good five to ten seconds. Imagine if I pulled something like that on someone during a fight. This is essentially what the Left/Right Hand Technique does.
    I don't believe that's the point of L/R.

2 separate techniques coming from 2 separate arms isn't that special actually. Considering how most wulin fights aren't 1 vs 1... it's the same thing as having 1 guy fighting two opponents from different schools. But why then can GWM break even with two practitioners of Jade maiden YG + XLN, but sort of loose to ONE XLN with L/R?!
    Last edited by Snafu3721; 11-11-10 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    We had this discussion in another thread where L/R doesn't make too much sense. Most skills require full body movement along with your motions so it makes no sense how you can use two different skills at once with anywhere near the same efficiency or power.

Even in swordplay I imagine covering your weakness is probably achieved by attacking the opponent from another angle so he can't exploit it, but at some point you can't really reach all angles from your lone position.
    Exactly! Thanks for summarizing =)

That's why it doesn't MAKE SENSE why XLN can do Jade maiden by herself! Suppose on of the AT techniques was just jump down and slice dowards from the front while the complimentary CZ technique was to dash at the opponent and stab from behind. HOW DOES XLN pull that off?!

So we're left with either L/R is overrated or underrated. Cuz JY obvisoulsy shows XLN gaining HUGE benefits as well as GJ in LOCH vs OYK. But then, we're left to believe that attacking with 2 separate arms isn't physically possible ergo L/R shouldn't have granted it's users too many benefits...

This to me is one of the biggest mysteries of a JY created technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    Exactly! Thanks for summarizing =)

That's why it doesn't MAKE SENSE why XLN can do Jade maiden by herself! Suppose on of the AT techniques was just jump down and slice dowards from the front while the complimentary CZ technique was to dash at the opponent and stab from behind. HOW DOES XLN pull that off?!
    *Really* long, pincer-like arms, maybe?

Tentacles?

Well, her ribbons were sort of like tentacles...

Chinese swords are generally made for use with one hand (the other hand generally free for balance). Little Dragon Girl uses Cheun Jen Sect Sword Technique on one hand and Jade Maiden Sword Technique with the other. Neither sword technique is dependent on having two hands.

Hong Lung 18 Palms, however, is largely unusable with only one hand. A few parts of it can be used one-handed, but overall, it's a two-handed technique.
    Don't mean to knitpick but my understanding is chinese swords are meant to be complimented with a short knife. Which is why if you notice many sword forms the free hand sticks out the middle and index finger, to simulate a knife.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

i believe the she wouldn't be able to use all the stances herself but at least 70% to 80% of the moves. plus the effectiveness of her moves went up greatly since one person as two is more effectively executed then two separate people. probably after ZBt taught her L/R technique, there must have been additional theories since using two separate styles at once would result in the stances changing somewhat, so there must be some 'similar to DG9J formlessness' included in the theories, in order to adjust for the difference, without losing any power in the move. a type of essence over form. ZBt's vacant fist had the theory, 'the moves must be hazy, not to clear'. it's similar to DG9J and taiji a bit.
    Last edited by kyss of the sword; 11-11-10 at 09:47 AM.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Hong Lung 18 Palms is a two-handed technique. With only one hand, a martial artist would only be able to perform a few of the 18 palms. That would entirely change the character of the skill and it would no longer be Hong Lung 18 Palms.
    Couldn't he just call it Hong Lung 9 Palms? or if the sleeve could count as half an arm he could call it Hong Lung 13.5 Palms?

Quote Originally Posted by missouri.slim View Post
    Couldn't he just call it Hong Lung 9 Palms? or if the sleeve could count as half an arm he could call it Hong Lung 13.5 Palms?
    I suppose. It wouldn't be the same, though.

once again YG doesn't need two arm nor dragon palms to beat his opponents.

The main goal of Left/Right Hand Technique is to confuse the opponent. If I use a stroke of Hong Lung 18 Palms in one hand (even if it's one of the very few that can be used with one hand) and a Vacant Fist in the other, the opponent is going to be confused because two very different kinds of martial arts are coming at him at the same time. That's going to crosswire him...perhaps long enough for me to exploit a weakness.

It's like this prank I used to play on friends in high school: I would look down at the ground and point downward, but I would say at the same time, "Look up in the sky! A bird!" My doing both at the same time (looking and pointing downward, but verbally commanding someone to look at a bird in the sky, where people usually expect to see birds) would completely crosswire them for a good five to ten seconds. Imagine if I pulled something like that on someone during a fight. This is essentially what the Left/Right Hand Technique does.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qiLjaef_jM