Thread: Are there any TV adaptations that cover the start of HSDS?

Default Are there any TV adaptations that cover the start of HSDS?

The part about Guo Xiang and Zhang Junbao at Shaolin, or how they set up Emei and Wudang?

Quote Originally Posted by Laboomsikashod View Post
    The part about Guo Xiang and Zhang Junbao at Shaolin
    HSDS '86 did this part.

I would think most adaptations do; it's sort of indispensable.

Does the '86 version cover it in some detail?

From the only two that I've watched, 2003 skipped it altogether and 2009 only had a brief section about Jueyuan and He Zudao and didn't include Guo Xiang at all. (and I was really hoping to see Yang Mi replay her part in HSDS '09 too! )

It dedicated thirty of an available forty minutes to it, so I guess it was detailed enough.

Several big fight scenes: Gwok Seung vs. Shaolin monks. Shaolin monks vs. Ho Juk Do. Gok Yeun vs. Ho Juk Do. Cheung Gwun Bo vs. Ho Juk Do. Gok Yeun vs. Shaolin monks.

Must've been an action packed 30 min! I shall go and watch the first episode! (...or rather the 2nd episode hehe...) Thanks Ken.

Btw I also read online about this series called Young Zhang Sanfeng (少年张三丰) about Zhang Junbao. It doesn't include Guo Xiang, but instead has a girl called Qin Sirong who ZJB loved and who ended up founding the Emei sect after leaving ZJB... Has anyone seen this series? Was it good and was its storyline related to HSDS?
    Last edited by Laboomsikashod; 11-19-10 at 08:16 AM.

Btw I also read online about this series called Young Zhang Sanfeng (少年张三丰) about Zhang Junbao. It doesn't include Guo Xiang, but instead has a girl called Qin Sirong who ZJB loved and who ended up founding the Emei sect after leaving ZJB... Has anyone seen this series? Was it good and was its storyline related to HSDS?
    A number of TV studios have used the legend of Cheung 3 Fung as the basis for series over the years, but these do not necessarily conform to the Jin Yong interpretation of Cheung 3 Fung. In such series, Jin Yong characters are off-limits.

From the only two that I've watched, 2003 skipped it altogether and 2009 only had a brief section about Jueyuan and He Zudao and didn't include Guo Xiang at all. (and I was really hoping to see Yang Mi replay her part in HSDS '09 too! )
    The '86 did it pretty good imo. It covered most of what actually happened in the novel even though you definitely do need some background information to actually see the relevance of the scene. If you never read/saw ROCH it's not a particularly important scene, but if you like connecting things it'll give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    A number of TV studios have used the legend of Cheung 3 Fung as the basis for series over the years, but these do not necessarily conform to the Jin Yong interpretation of Cheung 3 Fung. In such series, Jin Yong characters are off-limits.
    I think the Wudang 7 heroes were in the Young ZSF series. Are they Jin Yong characters too or were they historic figures?

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    The '86 did it pretty good imo. It covered most of what actually happened in the novel even though you definitely do need some background information to actually see the relevance of the scene. If you never read/saw ROCH it's not a particularly important scene, but if you like connecting things it'll give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside.
    I just watched that episode, it was great! detailed and stuck true to the novel. Totally agree, one of the main reasons I wanted to see these scenes in adaptations is the much needed link it makes with the rest of the trilogy, which gives the warm and fuzzy feeling!

However, as you said, perhaps only producers who make LOCH, ROCH and HSDS in sequence will have any real incentives to include these scenes. I'm still disappointed that Zhang Jizhong only included a much watered down version, even though he made LOCH and ROCH beforehand, and he made ZJB look like a 10 year old kid instead of a 17 year old!

I think the Wudang 7 heroes were in the Young ZSF series. Are they Jin Yong characters too or were they historic figures?
    They were apparently historical figures, although the historical versions were quite different from the Jin Yong versions, from what I understand.