Thread: Who would GJ pick: HR or YG

Default Who would GJ pick: HR or YG

If either YG or HR had to die, and GJ had to pick one, which one would he pick to live?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I think he would pick YG. For some reason, GJ feels like he owes YG and if he has a choice to either save YG or HR, he would definitely pick YG.

Being GJ, righteous person, he will pick YG and die with HR.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    I think he would pick YG. For some reason, GJ feels like he owes YG and if he has a choice to either save YG or HR, he would definitely pick YG.
    In ROCH, he's seen to allow HR to die in his place, but he puts his life on the line to save YG, but I don't think it's a simple matter of picking YG over HR. Fundamentally, he'd pick the country over both, and if it means having to stay alive, then that's what he'd do. However, he's already rationalised this with country over family, and HR made it even more immediate in his mind, so he was able to immediately let HR go. However, when they were at the Mongol camp, this argument wasn't made quite so immediate, so he instinctively tried to save YG at the cost of his own life. In Xiangyang, before HR made the argument for him, he was similarly going to put HR ahead of himself.

In the end though, I think wkeej is right, not because GJ is righteous, but because YG is close but still an outsider, so he'd save the close relation, but die alongside the person who's an extension of himself. If YG is in the mix, there is no choice to save HR, because GJ and HR are the same person, and GJ would save YG.

Seeing that he would chop off his own daughter's arm, he would definitely pick YG. No questions asked. -.-;;;
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    In ROCH, he's seen to allow HR to die in his place, but he puts his life on the line to save YG, but I don't think it's a simple matter of picking YG over HR. Fundamentally, he'd pick the country over both, and if it means having to stay alive, then that's what he'd do. However, he's already rationalised this with country over family, and HR made it even more immediate in his mind, so he was able to immediately let HR go. However, when they were at the Mongol camp, this argument wasn't made quite so immediate, so he instinctively tried to save YG at the cost of his own life. In Xiangyang, before HR made the argument for him, he was similarly going to put HR ahead of himself.

In the end though, I think wkeej is right, not because GJ is righteous, but because YG is close but still an outsider, so he'd save the close relation, but die alongside the person who's an extension of himself. If YG is in the mix, there is no choice to save HR, because GJ and HR are the same person, and GJ would save YG.
    But if GJ puts country in front of everything else, then depending on the situation, he may pick HR over YG as HR probably aids in him fighting off the Mongols more consistently while YG wanders in and out.

Nobody acts rationally while trying to save someone from certain death with no time to think.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I think Guo Jing will sacrifice himself to save both of them if he could. If not, he'd "tong gui yu jin" with Huang Rong to fulfil their promise, and let Yang Guo live.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Nobody acts rationally while trying to save someone from certain death with no time to think.
    This more or less.

I'd value my own life infinitely more than a stranger's, but if I saw him about to get hit by a car I'd try to save their life even knowing there is some % chance I'd get killed or seriously injured in the process. The numbers don't work out but it's what would happen.

Likewise Guo Jing, if surrounded by GWM etc, wouldn't take the chance to flee and leave Huang Rong behind even if he would let her die in some other circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    In fiction they can.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Sidebar question: Is GJ technically a trailor to his adopted country of Mongolia, by modern terms he would have been a citizen on Mongolia having been born there and received military ranking?

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    Sidebar question: Is GJ technically a trailor to his adopted country of Mongolia, by modern terms he would have been a citizen on Mongolia having been born there and received military ranking?
    The concept of nationality as we understand it today wasn't really in place at the time. In those days, people more readily identified with their tribe or ethnic group rather than their government.