Thread: Random Thoughts II

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Reading 'The Macho Paradox' made me thoughtful... and angry. Anger was inevitable as I recall some personal experiences.

I especially wonder about that particular two men who had to tell me their plans/fantasies of toying with women/****s/gold-diggers, or paying women for sexual favours.

I still wonder why they chose me to talk to about these things. >_>
    I also wonder about this! LOL You are one of those girls who are buddy types? I have mastered the ugly and condescending female stare--perhaps one day if we meet, I can teach it to you. If you can cultivate an icy upper class tone along with it, your presence will strike fear in the hearts of males who over step their boundaries of public decency.

Just kidding.

Well, not really. I find that most men I meet these days are quite nice, so my stare has lost its original coldness.

----

I was not chosen for the graduate assistant position. I have mixed feelings--relief and regret. I would really like to find a paying job (even min wage in my field/hence regret) however, the responsibilities of the position were really too demanding for a full time student---they wanted me to be on call!!

The search continues.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I also wonder about this! LOL You are one of those girls who are buddy types? I have mastered the ugly and condescending female stare--perhaps one day if we meet, I can teach it to you. If you can cultivate an icy upper class tone along with it, your presence will strike fear in the hearts of males who over step their boundaries of public decency.

Just kidding.

Well, not really. I find that most men I meet these days are quite nice, so my stare has lost its original coldness.

----

I was not chosen for the graduate assistant position. I have mixed feelings--relief and regret. I would really like to find a paying job (even min wage in my field/hence regret) however, the responsibilities of the position were really too demanding for a full time student---they wanted me to be on call!!

The search continues.
    Aren't you doing an internship right now? If it's that demanding then it's good that you didn't get it because now you still have a lot of time for your schooling and personal or family joy.
    Less Than Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by mi do ri View Post
    Aren't you doing an internship right now? If it's that demanding then it's good that you didn't get it because now you still have a lot of time for your schooling and personal or family joy.
    'Tis true. My internship has asked me to take on another workshop, too!
    I like me.

'Tis true. My internship has asked me to take on another workshop, too!
    Optimistically speaking, maybe the people that you are interning right now will hire you after the process is done. : ) Either way, you are getting the experience and knowledge that will help you a lot later on.
    Less Than Perfect

Just kidding.

----

The search continues.
    Good luck!
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Me: I am not performing well in 2 out 4 classes this term. I feel uninspired.
    MoM: Because you are not so smart.
    Me: Hey! I happened to be doing exceptionally well in the other 2!
    MoM: Because you are so smart.
    Me: ...O_o...there are no appropriate emoticons to express exactly how I felt in that moment. I was actually hoping for an *inspirational* pick-me-up. She does not love me as much today as she did last week! haha
    I like me.

I think I must've inherited the money saving/frugalness from my dad, my mom is a total spender. She spends $100 or more dollars in a day or even within three days without so much of a thought of how it is hard to earn money. Well, most of my mom's siblings don't spend money like her, the frugal gene must've skipped her. She spends money carelessly and don't know how to save for rainy days.

Yawn....so sleepy...been a long day...washed my car, ate dinner at a really, really good Korean/Japanese buffet with family.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

It was twenty years ago today...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qrHzaPPy70s/S9-l6LIF3zI/AAAAAAAAAxU/B7VarBWfL8Y/s1600/061107_majicjohnson_hmed_11a.hmedium.jpeg')

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qrHzaPPy70s/S9-l6LIF3zI/AAAAAAAAAxU/B7VarBWfL8Y/s1600/061107_majicjohnson_hmed_11a.hmedium.jpeg')
    Who is he?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Who is he?
    1980s basketball star Magic Johnson. Twenty years ago, he announced that he had to retire from professional basketball after a brilliant twelve-year career because he had contracted HIV.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2006/0505/nba_g_mjohnson_430.jpg')

In 1991, most people believed that contracting the virus was an automatic death sentence that would prove fatal within a few years...perhaps even a few months.

But Magic is alive and well today.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://blogs.laforward.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/magic-johnson-228x300.jpg')

1980s basketball star Magic Johnson. Twenty years ago, he announced that he had to retire from professional basketball after a brilliant twelve-year career because he had contracted HIV.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2006/0505/nba_g_mjohnson_430.jpg')

In 1991, most people believed that contracting the virus was an automatic death sentence that would prove fatal within a few years...perhaps even a few months.

But Magic is alive and well today.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://blogs.laforward.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/magic-johnson-228x300.jpg')
    An artist named Keith Haring died in the 90's because of AIDS. Even with medicines and stuff today, it still is a scary disease.

My new celebrity crush.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi7BH...eature=related
    Less Than Perfect

After HIV has triggered AIDS, there is no hope for the afflicted person. Death is certain to follow within a short time.

In 1991, doctors had virtually no weapons to stop HIV from causing AIDS. Now they do.

This scientist's work has made a great difference in the twenty years since Magic Johnson announced his HIV status.

Wow, very hot.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

There are indeed some poor people in this world. Hopefully, my small donation helps a bit.

After HIV has triggered AIDS, there is no hope for the afflicted person. Death is certain to follow within a short time.

In 1991, doctors had virtually no weapons to stop HIV from causing AIDS. Now they do.

This scientist's work has made a great difference in the twenty years since Magic Johnson announced his HIV status.
    How short is short? If given the right care and taken the right precautions, people can still live quite a few years even with "full blown" AIDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    How short is short? If given the right care and taken the right precautions, people can still live quite a few years even with "full blown" AIDS.
    When the disease first came to the U.S. during the early 1980s, physicians had little or no idea of how to manage it. Those patients often died in very short order (within months of diagnosis) because neither they nor their doctors knew to (or how to) manage the disease.

Today, it's somewhat better, but if AIDS has already emerged, the long-range diagnosis isn't hopeful.

When I get older, I am beginning to empathize with the old. No longer as healthy, fit, motivated, eager.

Sometimes I wonder if this was fate.

I grew up wondering why women were exclusively EXCLUDED in very close and personal areas like family.

I was expected to be a Christian because my father is one.
    I have my father's surname, with no traces of my mother's.
    I am considered a Cantonese simply because my father is a Cantonese; my mother isn't. There just isn't such thing as a half-Cantonese, half-something.

I grew up to be kind of a feminist (I say kind of because my thoughts aren't so pure at times).

I'm not going to take on my mother's last name anytime soon, though, partly because her family name's a difficult one (it sounds like the Chinese word NONE, which makes naming really difficult and my name will instantly turn negative).

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if this was fate.

I grew up wondering why women were exclusively EXCLUDED in very close and personal areas like family.

I was expected to be a Christian because my father is one.
    I have my father's surname, with no traces of my mother's.
    I am considered a Cantonese simply because my father is a Cantonese; my mother isn't. There just isn't such thing as a half-Cantonese, half-something.

I grew up to be kind of a feminist (I say kind of because my thoughts aren't so pure at times).

I'm not going to take on my mother's last name anytime soon, though, partly because her family name's a difficult one (it sounds like the Chinese word NONE, which makes naming really difficult and my name will instantly turn negative).
    Oh! You and I, we are so alike! haha

I have been told repeatedly that I am Cambodian solely because my father is. I don't mind this personally--in fact proud to be Cambodian. The only issue is the paternal side of the family doesn't really like me. Well, okay. They really dislike me, in fact. I am the only one who speaks the native language, celebrates the native holidays, and has lived in Cambodia for a long period of time---but I am least considered to be Cambodian because of the way I look. Oddly enough...my other cousins are mixed too and they don't get that crap.

I would not take on my mother's last name either hahaha ...too many corrupt officials in that line. If I did take on her last name...then Cambodians would just accuse me of being a traitor.

Can't please everyone, might as well please yourself. Besides, if I marry, I will just take his name and be done with it.
    I like me.

Oh! You and I, we are so alike! haha

I have been told repeatedly that I am Cambodian solely because my father is. I don't mind this personally--in fact proud to be Cambodian. The only issue is the paternal side of the family doesn't really like me. Well, okay. They really dislike me, in fact. I am the only one who speaks the native language, celebrates the native holidays, and has lived in Cambodia for a long period of time---but I am least considered to be Cambodian because of the way I look. Oddly enough...my other cousins are mixed too and they don't get that crap.

I would not take on my mother's last name either hahaha ...too many corrupt officials in that line. If I did take on her last name...then Cambodians would just accuse me of being a traitor.

Can't please everyone, might as well please yourself. Besides, if I marry, I will just take his name and be done with it.
    I'm sorry to hear what you have to go through simply because of how you look like. But it's okay, because you still have many people around you who loves and cares for you for the way you are.