Thread: Random Thoughts II

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Yes. what is the current mission comparing to the past, Ken?
    NATO was originally organized to counter the threat of Soviet (e.g. Communist) expansion in Europe. That was its primary purpose from when it was created in 1949 until the end of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Ever since that time, NATO's mission has shifted to peacekeeping and security in the Atlantic Zone (e.g. Western Europe and East Coast of Canada and U.S.), and its primary adversary has been extremist terrorist groups such as Al-Qaeda and ISIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    NATO was originally organized to counter the threat of Soviet (e.g. Communist) expansion in Europe. That was its primary purpose from when it was created in 1949 until the end of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Yes

Ever since that time, NATO's mission has shifted to peacekeeping and security in the Atlantic Zone (e.g. Western Europe and East Coast of Canada and U.S.), and its primary adversary has been extremist terrorist groups such as Al-Qaeda and ISIS.
    Is it stated anyway? Has the former "peacekeeping and security in Atlantic Zone" ever used?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Is it stated anyway? Has the former "peacekeeping and security in Atlantic Zone" ever used?
    Yes. NATO played a huge role in helping to end the Baltic War of the 1990s, and has been key in European and North American security in the post-9/11 world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yes. NATO played a huge role in helping to end the Baltic War of the 1990s, and has been key in European and North American security in the post-9/11 world.
    Thanks for the info
    Sim neej aws...

Didn't drive today. First time in my 15 yrs that I'm going to take the city bus. Nervous for two things: One, I'm afraid of getting lost. Second, hanging out with the crazy strangers in the bus.
    Sim neej aws...

Didn't drive today. First time in my 15 yrs that I'm going to take the city bus. Nervous for two things: One, I'm afraid of getting lost. Second, hanging out with the crazy strangers in the bus.
    Never drove in the last 25 years though I have a driving licence. Still valid.

I take the bus twice a week to work. Take your headphones with you. People tends to chat you up less when you have your headphone with you. Count the stops and watch out for nearby landmarks to make sure you don't forget to get off. Itll be OK!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Uncle's got cancer. Stage 4.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I take the bus twice a week to work. Take your headphones with you. People tends to chat you up less when you have your headphone with you. Count the stops and watch out for nearby landmarks to make sure you don't forget to get off. Itll be OK!
    Thanks. Yesterday, my friend took me home instead. I guess I was lucky... Today...Hmm......I should just take the bus for the fun of it. Need to clear some thoughts anyway...
    Sim neej aws...

Aww....sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. As of now, spend as much time with him and support him through this hard process. Wish and pray for you and your family well.
    Sim neej aws...

oh no, sorry to hear, will pray for your family. Try to spend as much time with your uncle as you can.

Anyone has the same experience as me? Do your toenails grow slower than your fingernails? I cut/trim the former every fortnightly while the latter weekly.

Aww....sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. As of now, spend as much time with him and support him through this hard process. Wish and pray for you and your family well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    oh no, sorry to hear, will pray for your family. Try to spend as much time with your uncle as you can.
    Thanks. But he is in HK while I am trapped in Australia. I cannot take leave from work as we are understaffed. But my mum will be going back next week to see what she can do (its her brother-in-law). As a family, we have understood that all is just a cycle of life. If there is life then there is death. I am not devastated about what is to come but upset that I cannot see him for the last time. Thank you for your prayers.
    Cyril Connolly

maybe when your mom visits, she can go on skye or wechat on her phone so you can talk to him?

Anyone has the same experience as me? Do your toenails grow slower than your fingernails? I cut/trim the former every fortnightly while the latter weekly.
    I don't think I do. I don't observe my toenails and fingernails that closely.
    Sim neej aws...

Thanks. But he is in HK while I am trapped in Australia. I cannot take leave from work as we are understaffed. But my mum will be going back next week to see what she can do (its her brother-in-law). As a family, we have understood that all is just a cycle of life. If there is life then there is death. I am not devastated about what is to come but upset that I cannot see him for the last time. Thank you for your prayers.
    You're welcome.
    Sim neej aws...

I feel like a fool.
    Sim neej aws...

I feel like a fool.
    Cyril Connolly

I feel like a fool.
    Care to elaborate what happened?

Care to elaborate what happened?
    Making quick decisions without thinking twice. This happens to me all of the time when under pressure. Urgh. SMH.
    Sim neej aws...