Thread: Random Thoughts II

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    OK. How did my response to your post get above yours?
    Yes, interesting. We post at the same time, in terms of minutes.

A reminder for myself: "We are not perfect human beings, nor do we have to pretend to be, but it is necessary for us to be the best versions of ourselves we can be."
    Sim neej aws...

I have to agree, don't want to regret something later on in life. =)

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Bummed that I'm not going to the shooting range today. It would've been my first time firing a gun. Oh well, next time..
    Careful you don't go all gun nutty afterwards.

I've been going roughly twice a month but now that I'm living by myself again I'll have a lot more time to do things like hit the range or build a solar cooker.

My advice for shooting is to try dry firing first to develope a sense of trigger control. Dry firing means pressing the trigger with no ammo in the gun. Your goal is to make sure your sights stay aligned to the target as you press the trigger. The front sight should be in focus as you aim with everything else including the rear sight and target out of focus. Also make sure you have a solid grip on the gun as you do this.

Of course you need to learn about gun safety first but i assume the person taking you will cover that.

Oh, I should point out that some rifle rounds are really loud even with ear protection on, and ejected casings can hurt -especially if they are really hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    SC has been driving this around lately:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2010/10/back-tofuture-delorean-660.jpg')
    Saw an ad for Back to the Future in Concert but it's not playing any place close to me. Probably my favorite movie of all time.

Going to sleep. It is 11.41 pm at my side. Hope that everyone sleep well today.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Going to sleep. It is 11.41 pm at my side. Hope that everyone sleep well today.
    Thanks. Hope you're feeling better wkeej. It's the afternoon here, about 3:52 pm, and I'm exhausted. Long day at work. Went to the wrong court building with my client so we had to run (with my heels on) 8 blocks to the right one. Now, I have blistering feet.
    Sim neej aws...

Thanks. Hope you're feeling better wkeej. It's the afternoon here, about 3:52 pm, and I'm exhausted. Long day at work. Went to the wrong court building with my client so we had to run (with my heels on) 8 blocks to the right one. Now, I have blistering feet.
    Yes, relatively well. slept for 7 hours quite soundly. Why must you go to the court?

Yes, relatively well. slept for 7 hours quite soundly. Why must you go to the court?
    I go to court to support my clients.
    Sim neej aws...

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    Careful you don't go all gun nutty afterwards.

I've been going roughly twice a month but now that I'm living by myself again I'll have a lot more time to do things like hit the range or build a solar cooker.

My advice for shooting is to try dry firing first to develope a sense of trigger control. Dry firing means pressing the trigger with no ammo in the gun. Your goal is to make sure your sights stay aligned to the target as you press the trigger. The front sight should be in focus as you aim with everything else including the rear sight and target out of focus. Also make sure you have a solid grip on the gun as you do this.

Of course you need to learn about gun safety first but i assume the person taking you will cover that.

Oh, I should point out that some rifle rounds are really loud even with ear protection on, and ejected casings can hurt -especially if they are really hot.

If I do go all nutty, I will let you know.

Thanks for the advice. Any other advices? He was going to introduce me to some rifles and shotgun. I'm kind of scared since I'm still a beginner.
    Sim neej aws...

If I do go all nutty, I will let you know.

Thanks for the advice. Any other advices? He was going to introduce me to some rifles and shotgun. I'm kind of scared since I'm still a beginner.
    I would start with a rifle chambered in 22lr first because of the low recoil and fairly quiet report. A larger caliber rifle like a 223 or 308 in an AR/MSR platform or a bolt action might look cool but they are not pleasant to shoot. I can pretty much shoot hundreds of rounds of 22lr without fatigue but with the larger calibers I probably can't do more than 50 before fatigue starts to affect my aim. As for shotguns I've only fired 30 rounds total: 5 slugs and 25 target loads against trap (discs that fly away from you). The slugs were loud with high recoil but the target loads weren't bad.

With rifles it's important to have a consistent cheek weld so you place your cheek on the rifle stock at the same place every time. Also make sure to brace the stock securely against your shoulder "pocket". Pause your breathing mid exhale before shooting. Try not to flinch.

I actually find rifle shooting to be stressful while pistol shooting to be relaxing.

Need to start packing for my trip, any suggestions for China?

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Where are you going? I have been to Beijing, Shanghai, and the southern cities like Guangzhou, Shenzhen.

How must I have angry and agitated thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    First time to China? An international data plan for your smartphone and the right adapters for 220v if you need it. That helped me immensely in Europe but don't know if companies in China offer same. Preload maps of areas you plan to visit and install a translation app if you need one.

The last time I went back to Beijing was about 3 years ago in the winter. Also spent a couple of days in Sanya that time. As wkeej said it probably depends where you are visiting.

You need a few air pollution masks so you can go out on a smoggy day.
    A few Tylenol pills would be handy as well.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 09-06-15 at 11:42 PM.

How must I have angry and agitated thoughts?
    Menopause.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Menopause.
    Older.

It is 1111 pm at my side. Good-nite.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    You need a few air pollution masks so you can go out on a smoggy day.
    A few Tylenol pills would be handy as well.
    Last time I was at the airport in Beijing it looked like I was on some alien planet. That was with the rotating license plate policy in place. Each time I come back to the U.S. I'm struck by how quickly the sunlight burns me.

Speaking of sunlight I cooked an egg in a makeshift solar cooker over the weekend. 5 hours in the sunlight at about 81F. The whites turned white and the yolk was no longer liquidy but it looked a bit odd. Think I'll feed it to my cat instead.

One of my long-term clients (6 years of relationship) has just informed me that the company will be going back to Australia from Jan 2017. Looks like work will be down again for me from 2016. Anyway, at my age, that's life.