Thread: Random Thoughts II

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I do not own any Apple products though I use quite a fair bit of MacIntosh in the computer lab when I was a uni student.
    For Apple products, I would say Macbook, Macbook Air or Macbook Pro are great. They are worth it and the price is reasonable (if you get the basic model) as it can last you years (like 10 years). When you have problems, you can bring it to Apple store to fix for free. For iPhone, it's way way overpriced. iPhone can break easily and new model come out every year. After all, it's only a phone where you can get it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    I see. It was hard to capture the red moon from my phone. It's weird because I can capture it by video though. It was an awesome sight
    I had the same experience with my iPhone when I tried to take a pic during the last few minutes of the supermoon eclipse. When I switched to video it showed up but very low quality. I missed out on most of the eclipse so it just looked like the moon was partially obscured by clouds on a clear night.

Random thought: When you get older, at times, do you wonder whether life will be better if you were an orphan, unmarried and childless so that there is no one you need to take care of except yourself.

Random thought: When you get older, at times, do you wonder whether life will be better if you were an orphan, unmarried and childless so that there is no one you need to take care of except yourself.
    It's fortunate that I was not an orphan. Most orphans were abused/molested/raped at the orphan homes when they were children. They are no hero like in wuxia. However, there is a good chance that I could end up unmarried and childless for the rest of my life .

I've been on this forum since 2003. I was 18 at the time. So much has changed in life. Back then it was all about watching TV shows, go on this forum, go out get drunk, meet girls and etc... Now it's about saving up for a place, struggling to make ends meet and moving to the next step with my significant other. What's amazing is that after all these years, a few of us are still around on this forum to chat it up. It's definitely not as busy as before, but it's really awesome to see us still contributing to this forum. I'm more of a lurker these days, but nice to see you guys still posting.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Driverless cars will be available in the future (about 5 years or 10 years). When they are available, would you get one? Personally, I would as they seem to be safer and car company would accept full responsibility in case of accident. In other word, your insurance would be a lot cheaper. However, I acknowledge the car would be more expensive and cost more to maintain. My current car will last me about another 5 to 10 years, so my next car could be a driverless car. I guess I should wait for a few years after they are available. By then, they would become cheaper. I guess it will make my tutoring job a lot easier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

I wonder how much one of those cars will cost... very interesting, I wonder if accident rates would be lower.

Trying for a project by JV'ng with another company, then I found out that company I'm JV'ing also has submitted their own proposal for the same project. So it is no hope for me.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Driverless cars will be available in the future (about 5 years or 10 years). When they are available, would you get one? Personally, I would as they seem to be safer and car company would accept full responsibility in case of accident. In other word, your insurance would be a lot cheaper. However, I acknowledge the car would be more expensive and cost more to maintain. My current car will last me about another 5 to 10 years, so my next car could be a driverless car. I guess I should wait for a few years after they are available. By then, they would become cheaper. I guess it will make my tutoring job a lot easier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car
    I would wait to make sure the driverless car be safe enough to be in it. I don't want it to be a recall.
    Last edited by skoo78; 10-13-15 at 07:44 PM.
    Sim neej aws...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    Trying for a project by JV'ng with another company, then I found out that company I'm JV'ing also has submitted their own proposal for the same project. So it is no hope for me.
    Hang in there. There are other opportunities in the near future. btw, what kind of projects?
    Sim neej aws...

I would wait to make sure the driverless car be safe enough to be in it. I don't want it to be a recall.
    Good point. I would wait for a few years and see how things go. If the price is good and they are safe, then I would get one.

Hang in there. There are other opportunities in the near future. btw, what kind of projects?
    Its a building project for an airline. I was hoping this would be my breakthrough.

Edit: I found out that we actually submitted our proposals for two different projects with a few months gap. But the person-in-charge for the projects are the same person. At that person considered it to be the same proposal, not a different one.
    Last edited by Ace High; 10-15-15 at 02:17 AM.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Random thought: Would you prefer to die young (<50) with lots of money to give away (say US$5 million) or old (>80) with no money?

Random thought: Would you prefer to die young (<50) with lots of money to give away (say US$5 million) or old (>80) with no money?
    <50? That is short. I am 37, that means I have less than 13 years left.

Money is important but I don't need a lot of money. My expense is pretty low. All I am asking for is being healthy so I can keep tutoring students, something I love doing.

Random thought: Iz it true that there are more mosquitoes when the weather is dry as compared to when it is wet/rainy?

Random thought: Iz it true that there are more mosquitoes when the weather is dry as compared to when it is wet/rainy?
    Well, I don't think mosquitoes fly in the rain as their wings get too heavy. But after the rain, the mosquitoes hatch and come out.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Die young!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Change, Change, Change!!!!!
    On these days and ages, too many people want CHANGE but the vast majority of the CHANGES are for the worst, not for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Change, Change, Change!!!!!
    On these days and ages, too many people want CHANGE but the vast majority of the CHANGES are for the worst, not for the better.
    Like what?

In front of my favorite local coffee shop stands one of those old red British public phone kiosks, like the kind you would see in London and other British cities during the 20th Century. The kiosk has been there since the outdoor strip mall that hosts the coffee shop was built in the late 1980s, but the working pay phone that was once installed inside the kiosk is long gone (stopped functioning and was removed some time in the early 2000s). Outside the kiosk, the owners of the strip mall have installed a plaque that reads "Pay phone is no more. Cell phone closed this door."

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://preview.turbosquid.com/Preview/2014/07/03__19_07_29/view_A.jpg1477c490-7f58-4f56-8354-c9193edc16adLarge.jpg')