Page 35 of 250 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts II

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    If she gets me into trouble (because I'd be working closely with her), I'll collect evidence of her poor attitudes/behaviours and serve them to her supervisors for breakfast. Yes, I am unkind towards her kind because I've seen and worked with too many of them.
    Thanks for the input. The only time she could get me into trouble is, I get blamed for bad supervision over her. I just don't know whether, til that senario happens, she would back out and point fingers on me or not. I do think that there are things which she can do without supervision. She just needs some initiative or common sense given her work experiences. Her work ethic is pathetic.

I have just updated with more details as I didn't have time to empty them off my mind earlier today. Hope to read more handy advise from you. Thanks.

Today, someone called regarding a job vacancy and agreed to a 4.00 p.m. interview. She did not show up until 5.00 p.m., after calling at 4.30 p.m. to try her luck to see if I was still in the office. She did not even ask to speak to me; she just asked the random employee who answered the phone to see if I was still in without asking them to convey a message to me. I could have left anytime after 4.30 p.m., but since I didn't and she managed to see me, she ended up getting an earful from me about keeping appointments, trustworthiness, punctuality and responsibility.
    Punctuality is definitely a problem for this interviewee. Are you the only person who will be interviewing her? It seems as though she is afraid to get a earful from you for the lateness hence, she initiate a dodgy step by taking an entrance from the "backdoor", hoping to get a "fresh voice" to tend to her interview. Though she still get it in the end hahaha.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

What is wrong with me, i've literally been craving and eating oatmeal every day!!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Hope to read more handy advise from you. Thanks.
    Do consider gathering evidence as a course of action. Record the evidence of poor attitude, shoddy work, etc, in the form of a log, with date and time, but with MINIMAL use adjectives/adverbs that might be seen as "weighting" the thoughts/emotions of the reader.

Example: (Date, Time) Person A was told by Person B (the supervisor) not to use the pointer (long stick) as a cane. Shortly after that, Person A hit Person C with the pointer, leaving marks on both forearms.

From this description, what can adjectives can you use on Person A?
    Answer: Insubordination (not following supervisor's instructions), disregard for Person C's well-being.

When there are sufficient entries in the log (one entry per incident; use sub-entries if the incident consists of many smaller incidents), a pattern of the person's attitude/behaviour will emerge. Anyone reading the log will come up with some adjectives that will be repeated throughout the log. Then, the severity of person's misbehaviour will be apparent.

Are you the only person who will be interviewing her? It seems as though she is afraid to get a earful from you for the latenes.... Though she still get it in the end hahaha.
    Unfortunately for her, yes. All first-time interviewees have to go through me. Besides listening to the interviewees' answers to my questions, I also look for non-verbal signs of suitability. Sometimes, I simply say: "Convince me that we should hire you." So far, no candidate has been able to answer this question yet.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Unfortunately for her, yes. All first-time interviewees have to go through me. Besides listening to the interviewees' answers to my questions, I also look for non-verbal signs of suitability. Sometimes, I simply say: "Convince me that we should hire you." So far, no candidate has been able to answer this question yet.
    what do you mean by non-verbal? body language, posture, etc.?
    haha what are you looking for as an answer to that last question?
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

sometimes, there are so many spams in our beautiful site. Feel that taking a chopper and chop chop chop, I mean delete, delete delete.

It's more like this: I know the difference between a real need in the kids (I would be patient) and pure nonsense (I would be an authoritative disciplinarian).
    Think more mischief than nonsense?

Sometimes, I simply say: "Convince me that we should hire you." So far, no candidate has been able to answer this question yet.
    I like it. I sometimes ask that question to the hiring employer: "Why should I work for you instead of one of your competitors?" It's a tough question and the answer I get tells me a lot about the person and the company (for example, if the person can't answer it, that means he can't think of any great reason to work for the company; as an ambassador for the company, that's not a good thing).

If I were asked your question by an employer, I would say that my resume and our interview should speak for my qualifications and fit, and I trust your ability to select the best candidate.
    Last edited by PJ; 02-09-11 at 12:21 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I imagined you asking me that question. I got a little bit scared.

I've been sleeping in too late again.
    I like me.

Watch finale of Paris Hilton's My New BFF season 2. First time I watch this show. Don't know what to say about it. The idea of looking for a BFF in a reality TV show and people competing to be your BFF by doing task and completing obstacles is kinda lame. But, the show is entertaining nonetheless. Kinda fun watching the antics of the BFF hopefuls.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-10-11 at 12:11 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

lol@kidd You're a really open minded person. I would just haha I will try to adopt this attitude the next time I'm asked to watch a Jennifer Aniston film.
    I like me.

I know it's not a good idea to get too close to a playboy, but I just can't help it!

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    lol@kidd You're a really open minded person. I would just haha I will try to adopt this attitude the next time I'm asked to watch a Jennifer Aniston film.
    What's wrong with Jennifer Aniston films? I haven't watch them, but, I thought they are just the usual romantic comedies?
    Last edited by kidd; 02-10-11 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I know it's not a good idea to get too close to a playboy, but I just can't help it!
    Yes, they are charming aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    What's wrong with Jennifer Aniston films? I haven't watch them, but, I thought they are just the usual romantic comedies?
    Romantic comedy is one genre that I tend to stay away from. I'm not a fan of those movies at all. I guess that means I'm not a fan of the types of films that she makes. IMHO, Aniston is not really a good actress and not really attractive enough to buy a ticket to "just to look at her" on screen. I've sat down to watch 10 or 15 minutes of a couple of her movies when they're shown on cable...I didn't find the movie or the actress to be impressive at all.

No offense to JA fans. I did like one work of hers, "Friends" because Phoebe was my favorite friend.
    I like me.

Romantic comedy is one genre that I tend to stay away from. I'm not a fan of those movies at all.
    Oh yeah, You are the girl who likes horrors and nightmares.

A recent experience reminded me that you can hardly ever judge a book by its cover, and a person by first impression.

I was looking for a therapist. The first therapist I called, I was instantly turned off by her casual attitude. There was no rapport on the phone, but I scheduled an appointment anyway, but I was fully expecting the worst. The 2nd therapist I called looked great on paper. She had more experience in what I was looking for, and she just looked more like someone who is going to help people.

Well, to my great surprise, the therapist that I was instantly turned off by on the phone, turned out very comfortable talking to in person, and she offered me great advice. On the other hand, the therapist that looked great on paper, I had little rapport with in person, and was less helpful.

Sadly, first impressions (in this case, on paper and on the phone) are often wrong.

^ Nice to know you have found a therapist that suits you. A therapist you have good rapport with is good.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    what do you mean by non-verbal? body language, posture, etc.?
    Most candidates know/practise the basic stuff like decent body language and posture, but I still get odd ones, like body odour, inappropriate dressing, bad front teeth. In the past, I would check basic reading/writing and info-processing skills by making them fill a form, but now, in an effort to be more environmentally friendly, we only generate/use the form after we have made the hire. I also look for eye contact, sufficient confidence without bragging, and a whole bunch of personal attitudes that may come across silently while the person is speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
    haha what are you looking for as an answer to that last question?
    PJ (quoted below in bold) provides something that you might want to consider saying if ever asked that question.

I like it. I sometimes ask that question to the hiring employer: "Why should I work for you instead of one of your competitors?" It's a tough question and the answer I get tells me a lot about the person and the company (for example, if the person can't answer it, that means he can't think of any great reason to work for the company; as an ambassador for the company, that's not a good thing).
    Haha! How true! I like candidates who turn the tables on me, but these are very rare around here.

If I were asked your question by an employer, I would say that my resume and our interview should speak for my qualifications and fit, and I trust your ability to select the best candidate.
    I won't ask you the question, as I tend to use it for insistent candidates that I've already rejected moments earlier.

I imagined you asking me that question. I got a little bit scared.
    If you are as confident and secure in yourself and your abilities to make a positive contribution to the employer as PJ is, you won't be scared. Being scared (and it can come across in non-verbal ways) just gives the interviewer more ammo to reject you for the job.

---

There was this applicant whom I had to interview over the phone due to scheduling issues, and nothing she offered in terms of age, relevant experience, educational qualifications and even communication skills fitted our needs. But she was really insistent, so I said (quite flatly ): "Convince me that we should hire you." She hung up without a further word.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 02-10-11 at 06:46 AM.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Does it matter? Will that turn me from a Zhang Cuishan into a Song Yuanqiao in your perception?
    Ah ha! Your reluctance to disclose the truth may have already betrayed you. Hmm...I must say, a well-established teacher with 15+ years of experience does place you in a older, matured age group.

Let's see...according to the wiki page, Song YuanQiao was 42 and Zhang CuiShan was 24 when Zhang Wu Ji was born. Ten years later, Song is 52 and Zhang is 34. Thus, you must be referring yourself as Zhang CuiShan of 10 years later, because you have 15+ years of teaching experience, you can't be 24. Haha! You're definitely in the 30s age group.

I need to stop doing things last minute.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

^^lol story of my life!
    I like me.