Page 72 of 250 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 5000

Thread: Random Thoughts II

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Depends on what you want to do as a volunteer. Older people need to be aware of their physical limitations (especially when it comes to health) and endurance when volunteering.

An indirectly-related case in point: A lot of people talk about getting retirees (aged at least 55 and above) to be teachers, especially in "easy" centres of learning like preschools. Unfortunately, as a preschool teacher/supervisor, I do not agree. As a person aged 55 and above, how much of stair-climbing can do you in a day, even if it's just one floor up and one floor down? How many times a day can you carry a crying child or a number of them, especially up/down a flight of stairs, before your legs and back give way? How many times can you sit down (either on a low child-sized chair or the floor, which tends to be worse) and get up in quick succession while doing classroom activities? How fast can you run/move when responding to real and perceived emergencies? What will you do during gym class and dance practice? Will you exercise and dance with them, or just stand around, give instructions and expect the kids to know how to do it? I have many reasonably healthy relatives who are aged 55 and above, and some of them were once school teachers, but I will greatly discourage them if they ever want to start teaching in preschool.

---
    btw, I stopped working when I was 28 and undertook volunteer work full-time for 2 years before returning to work. There were a lot of early mornings, late nights, running around from home to hospital to another home to morgue to home to crematorium, drug users, depressed peoples ... that sort of thing, so being "younger" and more "energetic" was an advantage.

---
    What do you want to volunteer in / as / for ?

I really admire people that volunteer to help other people with little or no compensation financially. I also want to do that however money becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Can't understand what you are saying. Care to elaborate?
    Well, my contractor just can't wait for a little while before proceeding with their work, despite has been repeatedly reminded that they must wait for my clearence first. All they need to do was to give me a simple phone call and they'll get they clearance within 15 minutes (after due inspection). However, they just went ahead on their own and expect I will authorised payment for that particular work, which amount to almost a hundred thousand of $.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I really admire people that volunteer to help other people with little or no compensation financially. I also want to do that however money becomes an issue.
    You don't have to do be a volunteer full-time. I went back to work after 2 years, and am still working to this day, many many years later, although I did take another year off to do some post-grad studies. For a start, you can look for opportunities to volunteer for a couple of hours during weekends, doing things that don't take up much of your time or require a scheduled regular commitment over a period of time, like chores/maintenance/gardening at shelter homes, serving in soup kitchens, etc.

Other types of volunteering can relate to your professional skills, e.g. maintaining computer networks for small local charitable organisations, tutoring kids in "technical" subjects like high-school chemistry and the like, etc. Volunteering professional skills seem like an easy way to start, but I've also met a number of professionals who are not keen to carry on with their "professional" life outside of the workplace, e.g. a friend who is an elementary school teacher would rather play the piano and sing (something that she does not do at work) with the elderly in her community center than tutor the kids who drop by.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

You don't have to do be a volunteer full-time. I went back to work after 2 years, and am still working to this day, many many years later, although I did take another year off to do some post-grad studies. For a start, you can look for opportunities to volunteer for a couple of hours during weekends, doing things that don't take up much of your time or require a scheduled regular commitment over a period of time, like chores/maintenance/gardening at shelter homes, serving in soup kitchens, etc.

Other types of volunteering can relate to your professional skills, e.g. maintaining computer networks for small local charitable organisations, tutoring kids in "technical" subjects like high-school chemistry and the like, etc. Volunteering professional skills seem like an easy way to start, but I've also met a number of professionals who are not keen to carry on with their "professional" life outside of the workplace, e.g. a friend who is an elementary school teacher would rather play the piano and sing (something that she does not do at work) with the elderly in her community center than tutor the kids who drop by.
    Thanks for some great ideas. I will most likely try to volunteer for a few hours to begin with to see how things are going.

Depends on what you want to do as a volunteer. Older people need to be aware of their physical limitations (especially when it comes to health) and endurance when volunteering.

An indirectly-related case in point: A lot of people talk about getting retirees (aged at least 55 and above) to be teachers, especially in "easy" centres of learning like preschools. Unfortunately, as a preschool teacher/supervisor, I do not agree. As a person aged 55 and above, how much of stair-climbing can do you in a day, even if it's just one floor up and one floor down? How many times a day can you carry a crying child or a number of them, especially up/down a flight of stairs, before your legs and back give way? How many times can you sit down (either on a low child-sized chair or the floor, which tends to be worse) and get up in quick succession while doing classroom activities? How fast can you run/move when responding to real and perceived emergencies? What will you do during gym class and dance practice? Will you exercise and dance with them, or just stand around, give instructions and expect the kids to know how to do it? I have many reasonably healthy relatives who are aged 55 and above, and some of them were once school teachers, but I will greatly discourage them if they ever want to start teaching in preschool.

---
    btw, I stopped working when I was 28 and undertook volunteer work full-time for 2 years before returning to work. There were a lot of early mornings, late nights, running around from home to hospital to another home to morgue to home to crematorium, drug users, depressed peoples ... that sort of thing, so being "younger" and more "energetic" was an advantage.

---
    What do you want to volunteer in / as / for ?
    I hope to go to the less developed countries to teach. Some years ago, I was giving free tuition at a Buddhist institution. It was fine as the students were willing to learn. But I gave up quickly. Only two lessons. My reasoning then was that I perceived that I do not gel well with the other teachers. E.g. they were organizing an event and I was invited to participate. I gave some viewpoints and they said they will need to discuss more. To think about it, it is a lousy reason to quit. I am there to help others and yet I am affected by my ego.

I hope to go to the less developed countries to teach. Some years ago, I was giving free tuition at a Buddhist institution. It was fine as the students were willing to learn. But I gave up quickly. Only two lessons. My reasoning then was that I perceived that I do not gel well with the other teachers. E.g. they were organizing an event and I was invited to participate. I gave some viewpoints and they said they will need to discuss more. To think about it, it is a lousy reason to quit. I am there to help others and yet I am affected by my ego.
    Are you saying Buddhists are barbarians? You should be ashamed of yourself.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Are you saying Buddhists are barbarians? You should be ashamed of yourself.
    For the first sentence - No, I do not imply that. If you and otrhers think so, my sincere apology. Enlighten me on which part of my paragraph say so.
    For the second sentence - Yes, I agree that I am ashamed of myself because of my ego.

For the first sentence - No, I do not imply that. If you and otrhers think so, my sincere apology. Enlighten me on which part of my paragraph say so.
    For the second sentence - Yes, I agree that I am ashamed of myself because of my ego.
    Take it easy you didn't give that impression at all. Why be ashamed it didn't work it's not entirely your fault and most people wouldn't even care to try!!!

Can barbarians be Buddhists?

My last paper...and I am unwilling to write it.
    I like me.

How did you like Toronto?
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

What is the sound of one barbarian clapping?

If a barbarian falls in the middle of a forest, would anybody hear it?

I didn't get as excited as I should be, when this HK-Taiwan trip is going to happen. Maybe it was work/change that is bogging in my mind, and the next change that I am about to face. Sounds exciting, and I'm willingly ready to take on the change.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I'm now hopelessly in love with SNSD... especially Taeyeon.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

most people probably don't masturbate correctly.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Just came back from the final round of an inter-school age-group colouring competition that was organised by (another) local bank. We submitted 54 entries for the audition, from which 19 kids aged 4 to 6 chosen for the finals. 5 came away with prizes: Two SECOND PRIZES and one FIRST PRIZE for 4yo, plus one THIRD PRIZE and one FIRST PRIZE for 5-6yo.

I'm mighty pleased, yes, I'm mighty pleased!

Last year's announcement post: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...l=1#post926112
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 05-16-11 at 11:17 AM.
    Soon ... SOON!

I guess the main concern here is how resilient you would be physically and emotionally at age 60 when it comes to the crunch. "Less developed" covers a spectrum, so if the country is on the upper end of the spectrum, the volunteering conditions there would be better than those in countries at the lower end of the spectrum. The sort of conditions that your body can take physically (what your body can "tahan") will affect where you eventually volunteer, and thereon, what you would do as a volunteer.

Although I try to stay as healthy as I can, I cannot say for sure that I can do at age 60 all the physical things that I did at age 25-28 as a volunteer, which included walking for hours to reach remote mountain villages, carrying big/heavy boxes of supplies, working long hours on disaster sites with little rest, even seemingly trivial things like bathing in icy-cold rivers, drinking/cooking with water from rivers, etc, etc.
    Soon ... SOON!

I guess the main concern here is how resilient you would be physically and emotionally at age 60 when it comes to the crunch. "Less developed" covers a spectrum, so if the country is on the upper end of the spectrum, the volunteering conditions there would be better than those in countries at the lower end of the spectrum. The sort of conditions that your body can take physically (what your body can "tahan") will affect where you eventually volunteer, and thereon, what you would do as a volunteer.

Although I try to stay as healthy as I can, I cannot say for sure that I can do at age 60 all the physical things that I did at age 25-28 as a volunteer, which included walking for hours to reach remote mountain villages, carrying big/heavy boxes of supplies, working long hours on disaster sites with little rest, even seemingly trivial things like bathing in icy-cold rivers, drinking/cooking with water from rivers, etc, etc.
    I doubt I will be able to volunteer at age 60. I think I will be too old then? Anyway, I do volunteer work on ad-hoc basis. Helping a good friend of mine who is involved in an old folks home. E.g. helping old people to read/explain letters; buying food for old people; bringing them for medical appointments.

Seeing all these old people bring me a sense of sadness at times. Soon I will be like them and I will need help too.

I doubt I will be able to volunteer at age 60. I think I will be too old then? Anyway, I do volunteer work on ad-hoc basis. Helping a good friend of mine who is involved in an old folks home. E.g. helping old people to read/explain letters; buying food for old people; bringing them for medical appointments.
    Now I understand. Since you are already volunteering in a specific type of situation with specific needs/tasks, you can continue with similar activities when you are 60 or older. These activities don't require much physical exertion.
    Seeing all these old people bring me a sense of sadness at times. Soon I will be like them and I will need help too.
    Don't feel too bad. When we become 70, 80 or 90 years old, so long as our mental faculties are still intact (no serious dementia, etc), we would still be able to communicate, read and write more than a lot of people who are currently 70, 80 or 90 years old. So while we may need help moving around (perhaps we can't drive anymore), there are still things many things that we can do for ourselves, due to the learning, knowledge and exposure that we have had when we were young.
    Soon ... SOON!

just start or keep doing regular exercises like running. You will be surprised how many able 60s and up that are in excellent shape.