Page 207 of 207 FirstFirst ... 107 157 197198199200201202203204205206207
Results 4,121 to 4,131 of 4131

Thread: Random Thoughts II

  1. #4121
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    OK. How did my response to your post get above yours?
    Yes, interesting. We post at the same time, in terms of minutes.

  2. #4122
    Senior Member skoo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    239

    Default

    A reminder for myself: "We are not perfect human beings, nor do we have to pretend to be, but it is necessary for us to be the best versions of ourselves we can be."
    Sim neej aws...

  3. #4123
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    453

    Default

    I have to agree, don't want to regret something later on in life. =)

  4. #4124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Bummed that I'm not going to the shooting range today. It would've been my first time firing a gun. Oh well, next time..
    Careful you don't go all gun nutty afterwards.

    I've been going roughly twice a month but now that I'm living by myself again I'll have a lot more time to do things like hit the range or build a solar cooker.

    My advice for shooting is to try dry firing first to develope a sense of trigger control. Dry firing means pressing the trigger with no ammo in the gun. Your goal is to make sure your sights stay aligned to the target as you press the trigger. The front sight should be in focus as you aim with everything else including the rear sight and target out of focus. Also make sure you have a solid grip on the gun as you do this.

    Of course you need to learn about gun safety first but i assume the person taking you will cover that.

    Oh, I should point out that some rifle rounds are really loud even with ear protection on, and ejected casings can hurt -especially if they are really hot.

  5. #4125
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    SC has been driving this around lately:

    Saw an ad for Back to the Future in Concert but it's not playing any place close to me. Probably my favorite movie of all time.

  6. #4126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,882

    Default

    Going to sleep. It is 11.41 pm at my side. Hope that everyone sleep well today.

  7. #4127
    Senior Member skoo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Going to sleep. It is 11.41 pm at my side. Hope that everyone sleep well today.
    Thanks. Hope you're feeling better wkeej. It's the afternoon here, about 3:52 pm, and I'm exhausted. Long day at work. Went to the wrong court building with my client so we had to run (with my heels on) 8 blocks to the right one. Now, I have blistering feet.
    Sim neej aws...

  8. #4128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Thanks. Hope you're feeling better wkeej. It's the afternoon here, about 3:52 pm, and I'm exhausted. Long day at work. Went to the wrong court building with my client so we had to run (with my heels on) 8 blocks to the right one. Now, I have blistering feet.
    Yes, relatively well. slept for 7 hours quite soundly. Why must you go to the court?

  9. #4129
    Senior Member skoo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Yes, relatively well. slept for 7 hours quite soundly. Why must you go to the court?
    I go to court to support my clients.
    Sim neej aws...

  10. #4130
    Senior Member skoo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    Careful you don't go all gun nutty afterwards.

    I've been going roughly twice a month but now that I'm living by myself again I'll have a lot more time to do things like hit the range or build a solar cooker.

    My advice for shooting is to try dry firing first to develope a sense of trigger control. Dry firing means pressing the trigger with no ammo in the gun. Your goal is to make sure your sights stay aligned to the target as you press the trigger. The front sight should be in focus as you aim with everything else including the rear sight and target out of focus. Also make sure you have a solid grip on the gun as you do this.

    Of course you need to learn about gun safety first but i assume the person taking you will cover that.

    Oh, I should point out that some rifle rounds are really loud even with ear protection on, and ejected casings can hurt -especially if they are really hot.

    If I do go all nutty, I will let you know.

    Thanks for the advice. Any other advices? He was going to introduce me to some rifles and shotgun. I'm kind of scared since I'm still a beginner.
    Sim neej aws...

  11. #4131
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    If I do go all nutty, I will let you know.

    Thanks for the advice. Any other advices? He was going to introduce me to some rifles and shotgun. I'm kind of scared since I'm still a beginner.
    I would start with a rifle chambered in 22lr first because of the low recoil and fairly quiet report. A larger caliber rifle like a 223 or 308 in an AR/MSR platform or a bolt action might look cool but they are not pleasant to shoot. I can pretty much shoot hundreds of rounds of 22lr without fatigue but with the larger calibers I probably can't do more than 50 before fatigue starts to affect my aim. As for shotguns I've only fired 30 rounds total: 5 slugs and 25 target loads against trap (discs that fly away from you). The slugs were loud with high recoil but the target loads weren't bad.

    With rifles it's important to have a consistent cheek weld so you place your cheek on the rifle stock at the same place every time. Also make sure to brace the stock securely against your shoulder "pocket". Pause your breathing mid exhale before shooting. Try not to flinch.

    I actually find rifle shooting to be stressful while pistol shooting to be relaxing.

Similar Threads

  1. Random Thoughts of Wuxia
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 354
    Last Post: 08-22-15, 11:09 AM
  2. Random Thoughts -- about Love
    By PJ in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 08-04-15, 01:52 PM
  3. Random Thoughts
    By kay &!* in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5269
    Last Post: 11-25-10, 02:07 AM
  4. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-17-10, 12:05 AM
  5. what are your thoughts on accented singing?
    By jiang bao in forum Music
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-05-08, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •