Thread: Help my friend overcome TV addiction...

Default Help my friend overcome TV addiction...

I hope to help my friend overcome her TV and movie series addiction. There's nothing wrong if she watches movies to relax but I also do not think it's healthy letting time pass her by. There are more enjoyable and fulfilling things to do than sit there and watch for hours.

Help me get her out of the couch and live her life. Life is short!

Sometimes, it is tough. Because you may want to finish off the TV series. What I do is usually to fast-forward those not so important parts to get the gist of the scene.
    Another good way is to follow one series at a time. But this could lead to more stress as you could be following more than 1 series.

If your friend's habits become unhealthy, you may want to advise her to pay a visit to psychiatrist for advice/help.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Sometimes, it is tough. Because you may want to finish off the TV series. What I do is usually to fast-forward those not so important parts to get the gist of the scene.
    Another good way is to follow one series at a time. But this could lead to more stress as you could be following more than 1 series.

If your friend's habits become unhealthy, you may want to advise her to pay a visit to psychiatrist for advice/help.
    Yeah, just sitting or lying on her bed for days watching and eating unhealthy foods seems not right. Do you know of a psychiatrist or therapist that could help her with her issues?

Quote Originally Posted by tugmashed View Post
    Yeah, just sitting or lying on her bed for days watching and eating unhealthy foods seems not right. Do you know of a psychiatrist or therapist that could help her with her issues?
    Do not know any. Sorry about that.

I browsed online on ways to help my friend and I saw this counseling site which I think could help my friend overcome her addiction. I really am worried about her TV binging but her overall health.

Quote Originally Posted by tugmashed View Post
    I browsed online on ways to help my friend and I saw this counseling site which I think could help my friend overcome her addiction. I really am worried about her TV binging but her overall health.
    Yes, you should tell your about her "unhealthy" habit. To let her know that someone cares.

I am guilty of being addicted to TV series and I can watch 4 different series in the same period. Most of the time, I am just bored or lonely. I recently signed myself into doing stuff on the weekends and because I have commitments, I have lessened my dependence on TV series.

Maybe see if you can go on a small weekend trip together, preferably outdoors where there is no TV or internet or something physical where she won't have the time to be bored. Or if not, just go out for a movie and then shopping and then a group dinner. Once she sees an alternate way to spend her time, she may automatically give it up.

If she still falls back in, it may be depression. But talk to her about what you are worried about and see what she says. If she is OK with it, then see if she would want to see a therapist just to find out what may be causing her to do this.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly