Thread: Bu Bu Jing Xin 《步步惊心》 - Nicky Wu, Liu Shi Shi, Kevin Cheng, Yuan Hong

Though I absolutely adore this drama and its faithfulness to the original novel, there are a few things that I thought the series could have been done better.

- I think TongHua left the question of YongZheng's legitimacy to the throne sorta ambiguous and IMPLIED through RuoXi's perspective that he did usurp the throne. The drama, however, just blatantly stated he usurp the throne. PERIOD. Since this topic remains a big Qing Dyansty mystery with most historians believing YongZheng succeeded legitimately, it would have so much better if the series just leave it open to interpretation than outright say he stole the throne from 14th.

- I read that there are actually quite a few viewers who haven't read the novel mistaken RuoXi's reluctance to directly answer 13th's question about "how far did your relationship go with 8th?" and just replied "Does it really matter?" as a hint that she had a full consummated relationship with 8th. In the novel, we know her relationship with 8th only lasted 3 months and they never consummated their relationship. But the drama made it seem like RuoXi was trying hide something and seeing extent of 4th's fury when he found about the relationship, it made some believe that RuoXi and 8th had a full-blown love affair. This misunderstanding actually distracts the viewers from recognizing the main reason behind 4th/RuoXi's breakup.

- Like many here, i wish the ending was tad bit more optimistic!! At least let Zhang Xiao get modern 4th's contact info~~!! Or modern 4th should come back with some tissue for her!!

Quote Originally Posted by cherieluv View Post
    What I meant was she, RuoXi, even with her knowledge of how cruel YongZheng was (rmber she has the advantage of hindsight, coming from the future) before starting an affair with him, chose to lie in bed with a murderer. I have no doubt she fell in love with him later.
    I think it's sorta unfair to judge the actions of YongZheng with modern sensibilities. In historical context, what he did was perfectly legal cuz his decree was the LAW. I recognize that his actions were rather frightening and cruel, but YuTan's espionage work was deemed as treasonous and probably warranted the extermination of her clan under Qing law. Compared to Empress Wu of Tang, Empress Lv of Han and some of the Ming Dynasty emperors like Zhu YuanZhang, I think YongZheng was probably much nicer. Anyway, wasn't the Qing Dynasty also known for their 10 Methods of Cruel Torture? Steaming alive and having your body pulled apart by 5 horses were just 2 of the methods out of the infamous 10.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 09-25-11 at 02:56 PM.
    Need to stop being lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by fuyuko View Post
    sorry, I don't get it. So what's the problem again? Is it that she chose to lie in bed w/ a murderer (are you being literal here or figurative w/ the lie in bed?) knowing that he would be a murderer later due to her hindsight? What's wrong w/ self preservation, being practical and rational in that environment when she really can't rely on anyone but herself? So you mean one is not considered to be "truly in love" if one is practical and rational? Sorry for so many questions...
    No need to get carried away. We are talking about a drama here, lol.

Sleeping with the murderer - figuratively.

Did I not mention "no doubt she fell in love with him later"?

Just downloaded 36 instrumentals but I can't find instrumental in the part 4th came to visit and hug RX on bed after she had miscarriage. Also in the part 4th was mad when he heard LX already died and tried to find her letter. I've gone through all the soundtracks a bunch of times but I couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Ge-C.Liu View Post
    The full versions of One Persistent Thought (Yi Nian Zhi Zhuo) and The Season of Waiting (Deng Ni De Ji Jie) has been released!!

Yi Nian Zhi Zhuo:http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/66MmNcW9O-E/ (notice the different starting tune, yet again)

Deng Ni De Ji Jie: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/D2JrMuGosT4/

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/681ab3edgw1dlhq8vzhtzj.jpg')
    How to download them?

I cheated like most of you and watched the last 2 episodes on YouTube. Cried too much (rarely does a drama EVER make me cry), so i had to watch the happy episodes during 10th Prince's birthday celebration to comfort myself. I'm not even a LongShi shipper, but man! Why did they move me so much to tears? Really kudos kudos to LSS' leap in acting skills to bring out awesome chem even with an actor I don't care for, so much that I'm moved to blubbering tears (and believe me, I'm too cynical to cry most of the time).
    My avatar is a tribute to the world's hottest stallions - Peter Ho, Kevin Cheng, Nic Tse.

Quote Originally Posted by pookagege View Post
    How to download them?
    I'll PM you the way to download from tudou.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

pm me also. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Anyway, wasn't the Qing Dynasty also known for their 10 Methods of Cruel Torture? Steaming alive and having your body pulled apart by 5 horses were just 2 of the methods out of the infamous 10.
    OMG ewww...I guess most TV shows really sugarcoat the torture don't they, I don't think I've seen stuff that gruesome before. >_<

...Do I want to know what the other 8 methods were...??

Could you pm me too? I love esp the two songs.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps that's the problem. RuoXi is too practical and rational. She could not have loved 8th very much because when you truly love someone, you would follow them to their death. She would rather let the bloodied hands of a murderer make love to her for self-preservation.
    Uh, tbh, I think that only happens in idol dramas *cough* Jade Palace Lockheart *cough*. How often does that happen in real life? Maybe I'm being a bit cynical here but I doubt love like that exists in real life. Ppl can break up over sooooo many issues be it their parents or financial difficulties. RX is not blind. She's not going to fall deep in love with a man not willing to save himself. Yes, you could also say RX didn't love 8th enough. But 8th did not love RX enough either.

As for 4th being cruel.. there is of course no doubt that he was cruel. But do take note that he was never once cruel to RX. In fact, compared to 8th, he was a lot more honest in his feelings which I think was something that RX treasured a LOT. When 8th offered to make her Empress in order to make her stay (like he really would!), I already knew their relationship was a gone-case. This guy does not understand RX at all.
    And while Yongzheng was cruel, he was actually a very good emperor. Which emperor in those days will not kill traitors and people who potentially threaten their power? Yongzheng killed those that betrayed/hurt him in the past or will potentially hurt him and his loved ones in the future. Not defending murder here, but I think you give too much credit to 8th. You like 8th a lot, I assume? He's actually quite scheming. Rmb him plotting against 4th in the earlier episodes? I think he would have done the same if he assumed position as emperor. I think power just does that to people. Point is, Yongzheng was historically known to be a good emperor kind to his people.

Sorry, I'm just a bit protective of RX. I didn't like the part where you said she would rather "let the bloodied hands of a murderer make love to her for self-preservation". She didn't make love to 4th for her own preservation! She loved 4th at that point. Also, I do not think she knew (at that point of time) that he would kill so many ppl around her just to protect her... She left him later precisely because of that!
    Last edited by Mwahaha; 09-25-11 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    OMG ewww...I guess most TV shows really sugarcoat the torture don't they, I don't think I've seen stuff that gruesome before. >_<

...Do I want to know what the other 8 methods were...??
    I was curious and went to google them and uhhhh it made me feel quite sick. Shall spoiler tag it for poor souls. I'll make it brief here. The document I read was a lot more detailed.

click to show/hide spoilers

1) Peeling the skin off the criminal until the person dies (Usually takes approximately a day)
    2) Chopping the criminal's body (literally!) into two at the hip
    3) Chopping the hands, ears, head.... *nauseous* into many pieces + digging eyes out
    4) Made into meat sauce?! WTHHHHH.
    5) Using a bow. (This one's pretty kind) Basically, criminal=arrow and you pull the bow until the person dies of suffocation
    6) Steaming (Yutan's death)
    7) Dissemination of body using 5 horses (shown in drama!)
    8) Castration

.... Do I have to go on? I don't really have the mood to finish typing all 10 but there seems to be more than 10. The list is quite long D:
    The bottom ones are milder though! (some form of relief?)
    Last edited by Mwahaha; 09-25-11 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mwahaha View Post
    .... Do I have to go on? I don't really have the mood to finish typing all 10 but there seems to be more than 10. The list is quite long D:
    The bottom ones are milder though! (some form of relief?)

I can't say Yongzheng was milder than his counterparts in previous dynasties! But maybe since these methods have the victims dying rather quickly (hopefully), they could be a little "milder" than what Wu Zetian did.

It's a well known fact that Wu Zetian cut off the arms and legs of all the other concubines after she ascended to power and left them to die rotting in their stools and piss in human-sized pots.
    My avatar is a tribute to the world's hottest stallions - Peter Ho, Kevin Cheng, Nic Tse.

Quote Originally Posted by straw View Post
    pm me also. thanks.
    Could you please PM me as well? I love the instrumentals.

Quote Originally Posted by munianci View Post

I can't say Yongzheng was milder than his counterparts in previous dynasties! But maybe since these methods have the victims dying rather quickly (hopefully), they could be a little "milder" than what Wu Zetian did.

It's a well known fact that Wu Zetian cut off the arms and legs of all the other concubines after she ascended to power and left them to die rotting in their stools and piss in human-sized pots.
    Oh my, ew! I just read one that was extremely disturbing.
    For women that betray/kill their husbands, they....

Hang her on a tree... with a long stick at the bottom and lower her until her (yknow)... is slightly above the stick... and then... and then... they suddenly release the rope such that she falls at such speed that the stick penetrates her all the way up to her mouth

Starting to think Yutan actually died a pretty comfortable death. At least she died pretty quick with her whole body intact. And poison is like a luxurious way to die
    But phew, I'm SOOO glad these are no longer legal.
    Last edited by Mwahaha; 09-25-11 at 09:56 AM.

Oh my gosh, that's actually really terrible! Um...what the hell! I guess people in Ancient China were really creative?

On a totally different note, I still haven't watched the ending but I took a sneak look ahead and randomly landed on 8th and Ruoxi's last scene together. I was crying uncontrollably even then and I still cry thinking about it. I don't know what I'm going to do when I watch the ending. Maybe think of the poor women who killed their husbands and remind myself that Ruoxi had it better than them by an infinite amount?
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

What I meant was she, RuoXi, even with her knowledge of how cruel YongZheng was (rmber she has the advantage of hindsight, coming from the future) before starting an affair with him, chose to lie in bed with a murderer. I have no doubt she fell in love with him later.
    Perhaps that's the problem. RuoXi is too practical and rational. She could not have loved 8th very much because when you truly love someone, you would follow them to their death. She would rather let the bloodied hands of a murderer make love to her for self-preservation.

In the book, RouXi mentioned that she was a fan of the historical Yong Zheng, back when she was still Zhang Xiao. She thought him good Emperor who was harsh but fair in his treatment of his brothers in their struggle for the throne. But later on when she got to know all the princes, they were no longer just names in the history books. That's when she started to change her mind about Yong Zheng and his treatment of his brothers. Plus she didn't know about the specifics of how he dealt with the officials/servants that got in his way. If she did, she might have been a lot more scared of him...

I think you are right that she didn't truly love 8th. Her romance with 8th wasn't pure like her love for 4th because she had an agenda from the start. She knew how 8th felt about her and wanted to use his feelings to save him (and 9th, 10th & 14th) from their sad fates. It’s not that she didn't have feelings for him at all, but I think it was out of pity and gratitude more than love.

You say if you truly love someone, you would be willing to follow them to their death. As a romantic, I tend to agree. But in RouXi's case, the love of her life is doing all the killing? What's a girl to do? When she learned the full extent of his cruelty, she had three choices:
    1. To turn a blind eye at what was happening around her and just love 4th unconditionally (which is what she tried to do over and over again)
    2. To stand up to him and try to get him to change his ways (she tried this method when 8th was punished)
    3. To leave (so that she will not be the cause of anyone’s death and in order to not witness anymore of this dark side of 4th)

In the end, she had no other choice but to leave. She couldn't NOT care about the other princes and other people in the palace where she has spent the last 19 years of her life. That's like asking someone to cut off their friends and family and just watch them suffer.
    Yong Zheng had all those years of built up hatred and revenge burning in his heart. It's safe to say he really needed some anger management counseling but that wasn't an option. Like 13th said, "What a mess."

Quote Originally Posted by munianci View Post
    I cheated like most of you and watched the last 2 episodes on YouTube. Cried too much (rarely does a drama EVER make me cry), so i had to watch the happy episodes during 10th Prince's birthday celebration to comfort myself. I'm not even a LongShi shipper, but man! Why did they move me so much to tears? Really kudos kudos to LSS' leap in acting skills to bring out awesome chem even with an actor I don't care for, so much that I'm moved to blubbering tears (and believe me, I'm too cynical to cry most of the time).
    LOL, I turn on the waterworks pretty frequently to be honest, so I was crying a lot through out the series. Darn Tong Hua and the cast for doing such an awesome job! To balance it out so that my eyes aren't always red the next day, I follow up BBJX with an episode of Glee.

Quote Originally Posted by Vienne94 View Post
    I think you are right that she didn't truly love 8th. Her romance with 8th wasn't pure like her love for 4th because she had an agenda from the start. She knew how 8th felt about her and wanted to use his feelings to save him (and 9th, 10th & 14th) from their sad fates. It’s not that she didn't have feelings for him at all, but I think it was out of pity and gratitude more than love.
    I've been reading the comments as an anonymous user for a while and thought I would share my thoughts on this. Haha.

I think RX did truly love 8th. I think during the height of their romance, she gave him her all and was really devoted to him. But alas, there are many obstacles hindering the path of eternal bliss (eg. his fight for the throne and imminent death) that she decided to break up with him. For a relationship to last, you need both heart and mind to be in sync with one another. Her heart was thoroughly with 8th Prince during that period but her mind couldn’t accept him knowing that she won’t have a future with him. That is not to say she didn’t love him because her heart was there. And ultimately in the end, even though she couldn’t be together with him, she was still constantly looking out for him and caring for him. When 4th punished 8th, RX also knelt in commiseration. And their last farewell scene, although she was still passionately in love with 4th, she still cared for 8th. So I don’t think you can really say that she never loved 8th.

That being said, I’m firmly on the 4th/RX ship. Because their love was just so passionate and fiery that 8th’s and RX’s never was. She did love 8th but had her apprehension. I think with 4th she also had a tinge of hesitation but it was seeing him sacrifice so much for her (with the arrow and his persistent pursuit of her) that made her fall deeply in love with him. Of course, she knew he was the future king so technically, it made sense to hide under the biggest tree. So here, both mind and heart was in sync. But its so tragic that after everything, they just couldn’t be together. It was like the more they loved each other, the more hurt they inflicted. Its so dysfunctional but so poetically beautiful. Ahh, my heart is in agony. They're just such a beautiful couple but so flawed.

Both are such amazing relationships in their own way and I think in both of them, RX was committed to both 4th and 8th. That's not to say she cheated on either of them because I think she clearly settled her feelings for 8th before starting a relationship with 4th.

As someone who haven't read the novel, I guess if you knew that you are going to be reborn as a cockroach, what's there to talk about? 4th was so cruel, he could only be reborn as the lowest form of life.
    Could be. But then I'm one of the subscribers of the theory that the modern dude Zhang Xiao met in the museum is the reincarnation of Yongzheng. So... after Yongzheng died and the soul was reborn into (...insert the lowest form of life possible), it must have done good things, for immediately afterwards (perhaps 2-3 births later), it was born human again.

Or YZ's soul was born as a very troubled soul in the next birth, and he learned his lessons well. That's why his next birth lives were not that bad later. When the 2011 YZ met ZX, he is practically a saint now, compared to Qing YZ.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust View Post
    you know what they say about quiet people

I think the reason he becomes so unrecognizably cruel later on is because he keeps all his emotions so closely in checked for so long...or maybe the power just went to his head
    Yes, could be. People who suppressed his emotions for so long could go very wild/uncontrollable in later stages of life.

Oh, btw, from the information around here, I still believe that RX truly loved Four, and not just trying to be practical and chose the more powerful side. She could have left Four earlier if she did not love him too much. But she loved him very much, even surpassing her love to Eight (with my limited knowledge due to low watching time, I also think she loved Eight, but not as much as she loved Four).

Oh, my darling Kevin is soooo freakin' ADORABLE!!!

@鄭嘉穎KC:若蘭走了,明慧也不在了,我.......也不想活了.....不想活了
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/6afad977jw1dli1v6qnsbj.jpg')

He says Ruolan has left, Ming Hui is no longer here, I don't wanna live anymore.

And William Peng says, 8th brother, don't cry, you still have 14th.