Thread: Bu Bu Jing Xin 《步步惊心》 - Nicky Wu, Liu Shi Shi, Kevin Cheng, Yuan Hong

Oh btw just like to share this MV I saw on youtube. I think this is one of the best 4RX MV out there. Music, choice of scenes etc were perfect.. Just wow!

Oh btw just like to share this MV I saw on youtube. I think this is one of the best 4RX MV out there. Music, choice of scenes etc were perfect.. Just wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Vienne94 View Post
    From what I remember in the book, 14th didn't ask for RuoXi. Getting those two together was purely Kangxi's idea. As for 14th not marrying anyone else during that time, it was never mentioned in the book if he did or not. Anyway there's only one Di fujin position but he can have as many Ce fujin's as he wants. He could have had like 20 for all we know, Tong Hua never mentioned how many women he had at the end(earlier in the book it was said that 14th had like 4 fujins). So to answer your question, we don't know if he waited or not.

Personally I don't think he did, I think he asked for RuoXi later on to save her from a life of hard labor. He knew she was in love with someone else so what's the pointing of waiting for someone who won't return his feelings. On the other hand, I can see 4th not marrying anyone else or even visiting his wives much during the time that RuoXi was punished and sent to the laundry dept.
    Oh thank you for the explanation. I thought Di'fujin & Ce'fujin is the highest 2 position (hence, only 1 woman each) , everybody after that is just concubines (there can be many). I guess I was wrong.

I know that 14th married RX just to save her. But when he visited RX in the laundry dept, I got impression that he was the one that asked Kangxi.

Am I the only one that still stuck here? I am way behind than everybody else

thanks for the info though....you really know your stuff. 13 is really crazily young to be married I think =p thank goodness the tv increased her age, to be less creepy. but i must say I think this is a really decent piece of work, worth watching, and much better than gong. although the bit about the xiunv selection process was somewhat 'changed' in this show. It shows RX having to stay within the palace as a maid; whereas what really happened was that those who are not selected may go home and their parents would arranged their marriages - but it simply meant that they wouldn't be able to marry those of the royal houses (and their relatives). The maid-selection process was altogether another category and there shouldn't be a chance that in the real scenario that a person of RX's background would ever need to be a serving maid. Either she marries the emperor himself, or one of his sons, cousins, nephews etc...or get sent home. (If I remembered correctly they go through quite a fair bit of screening and those with potential whom were chosen but not arranged a marriage would be forced to remain single until the higher ups make a decision - worse scenario for the girl)

Quote Originally Posted by ubeliesel View Post
    I think basing on the book, 4th was 13 years older than RX, while RX and 8th had a ten year age gap. So when RX came to the Qing dynasty, she was 13, 4th was 26 and 8th was 23. 14th was 10 years younger than 4th, so he was around 16 at that time.. Although I think the book made him, 13th and 10th even younger than that.

As to how young they married, we can peg it at 4th's age when he married Lady Ulanara, his Difuj'in- he was just 13 years old, and she 12. They had their first child (who died young) when 4th was already 19 though. So by the time RX came to the past, all of them should've had a few wives already (and a few kids too), although again the book made it out like only 9th prince and older had wives..

As for their ages in the drama, RX was 16, so 4th is supposed to be 29 etc. But then this would've messed up the actual historical progression of the story since 4th was supposed to have ascended the throne when he was 44, too short a time frame for the supposed 18 years that RX had stayed in the past at that point (at least 3 years short, I think). So what I'm guessing is that only RX's age got bumped up, and the rest stayed the same age, so 4th was still 26, 8th 23, 13th 18, 14th 16 etc.

LOL I think I veered off topic there. Sorry. I sort of obsessed about their ages while watching the drama.. Keke
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Icha Parvati View Post
    Yeah, I agree with what you said about princes and their harem of women... also that RX was 4's first and only true love. Sigh... sigh...

You must have read the threads from the beginning eh? I wrote that comment a while ago. Good on you. I haven't read the whole threads, I just skipped through the first hundred...
    well i just finished the show and is looking around for comments from others - took me awhile before i actually go watch it. (i almost fainted from the rubbish i get from gong, and then just when i thought gong was horrible, the new hzgg just beat gong in terms of thrash-drama. im glad i watched this show, it's definitely alot better!!)
    o wilku mowa...♪

LOL! I actually have purposely avoided Gong because of these intelligence... but now I'm tempted to watch it for a few eps just to know how bad it is! LOL!

But yeah, even just from the costumes and the story, BBJX is much better than many other Qing dramas (let alone Gong). I'm gonna go home and watch BBJX again from ep 1 now...

Quote Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
    Oh thank you for the explanation. I thought Di'fujin & Ce'fujin is the highest 2 position (hence, only 1 woman each) , everybody after that is just concubines (there can be many). I guess I was wrong.

I know that 14th married RX just to save her. But when he visited RX in the laundry dept, I got impression that he was the one that asked Kangxi.

Am I the only one that still stuck here? I am way behind than everybody else
    I haven't read the book (can someone release the official English version pls, nicely bound hardcover??), so I don't know the first bold one.

As for being stuck, I'm also still HERE!!! I'm either haunting BBJX thread or Nicky Wu or Xing Ming Shi Ye (cos I'm a die hard fan of Nicky). So yeah, I'm the same....

LOL! I actually have purposely avoided Gong because of these intelligence... but now I'm tempted to watch it for a few eps just to know how bad it is! LOL!

But yeah, even just from the costumes and the story, BBJX is much better than many other Qing dramas (let alone Gong). I'm gonna go home and watch BBJX again from ep 1 now...
    LOL, it's so bad I skipped some episodes and just went off to see how it ends. The script is a major rip-off (I think it rip-offed from bbjx too in a sense) but more because gong is like a qing-dynasty version of hana yori dango (aka meteor garden) with 8th as Domyouji & 4th as Hanazawa. 9th & 10th stick around just like the lesser members of the F4. Like hanayoridango, Qingchuan falls for 4th, before finally settling for 8th. The timeline is pretty blurred in gong because they make it seemed like it all happened in a year or two =p whereas BBJX slowly build up the show, and characters supposedly aged through the years.

But then again, after watching new hzgg, I'd decidely forgive gong. I mean, what could be more horrible than new hzgg? (and they could actually film that long....churning that much crap?!)

I wished they would do a BBJX sequel though. But I think it would be quite hard to do justice to the original story cos it's just so brilliant.
    o wilku mowa...♪

LOOK!!! 13th & Min Min are indeed face twins!!!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/87ece784gw1dnjqb15zq2j.jpg')
    Last edited by xiaolong; 11-29-11 at 10:41 AM.
    I ship Shi-Harem

Cute! I love Minmin for 13 more actually... But she was indeed too young for him! And the Mongolian prince was super cute too, so in the end I'm fine with it.

Lucre, I also don't understand how ppl can film long, boring series till 50s or 60s episodes! I think 20s or 30s eps would have to do. Longer than that, I think it's being forced for commercial purposes. Unless the original story was also long, like The Condor Trilogy.

BBJX has just the right number of episodes, IMHO, without dragging it for the sake of screen time.

Eh, wow! We're finally in page 300! Yay!

Only the majority of the 'cast' have left the building...

Cute! I love Minmin for 13 more actually... But she was indeed too young for him! And the Mongolian prince was super cute too, so in the end I'm fine with it.

Lucre, I also don't understand how ppl can film long, boring series till 50s or 60s episodes! I think 20s or 30s eps would have to do. Longer than that, I think it's being forced for commercial purposes. Unless the original story was also long, like The Condor Trilogy.

BBJX has just the right number of episodes, IMHO, without dragging it for the sake of screen time.

hopefully they also do tong hua's other novels. =p after reading two other novels from her when i watched this series which was supposed to be an adaptation of her novel i was quite prepared for the show to end up tragic. lol.

new hzgg sounded like it's really filmed just for the sake of filming, or trying to cash-in on some popularity of the original hzgg. (i couldn't finish it, not even half of it even, watched a few episodes and leave it there. i don't want to know what more crap they can do with this.)

minmin is cute i agree, but i like the 'realism' involved here. she may like 13 at first but she don't get her way (not like the usual sappy tagline 'love wins all' nonsense.) but at least she got a pretty decent catch too. better than marrying 13 whom already had a horde of wives.
    o wilku mowa...♪

I haven't read the book (can someone release the official English version pls, nicely bound hardcover??), so I don't know the first bold one.

As for being stuck, I'm also still HERE!!! I'm either haunting BBJX thread or Nicky Wu or Xing Ming Shi Ye (cos I'm a die hard fan of Nicky). So yeah, I'm the same....
    Yeah, I thought Nicky was cute back then....then I saw this drama with YH (main attraction), LSS and Nicky. And this thread was pretty active, so I guess that was a good sign for a good drama. Glad I gave it a go and had chance to see Nicky in action again.

Now Gong....I went to its thread, saw some pics of the main leads and I can't just bring myself to watch it. There's no way they can compete with Nicky's 4th and there are no other eye candy like Kevin, YH or LGX there. I'm just gonna save myself trouble and avoid that drama.

Why Tong Hua didn't release an english version of this book? I thought she lives in NY? It would be easy for her to translate to English if she knows english herself or has connection to people that speaks good english to translate for her. Money-making opportunity there! I'd buy the book in a second!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    hopefully they also do tong hua's other novels. =p after reading two other novels from her when i watched this series which was supposed to be an adaptation of her novel i was quite prepared for the show to end up tragic. lol.
    Tangren will be adapting another Tong Hua novel - Da Mo Yao (Ballad of the Desert). Filming will start in March 2012. Leads are likely to be Hu Ge, LSS and Wallace Huo (although this is not confirmed yet). At least the men don't have to go bald since it's set in the Han Dynasty.

Yu Zheng, the producer of Gong, will be adapting the sequel to Da Mo Yao - Yun Zhong Ge (Song in the Clouds), starring Qiao Zhenyu and Mickey He (who was 4th Prince in Gong). Not sure who the leading lady is, though Yang Mi was hotly rumoured at one time. She's moved on to movies, so I doubt she'll be filming this.
    Last edited by xiaolong; 11-29-11 at 07:15 PM.
    I ship Shi-Harem

I'm still here too, but mainly just lurking To celebrate this thread reaching 300 pages, here's the "sequel" video to "Vixen." If you thought the last video was wrong...

BTW, I took some liberties with the translations, just because some things just don't make sense in English as it does in Chinese, but the main gist is still there. Enjoy
    Bu Bu Jing Xin English Fantranslation: http://bubujingxinenglish.blogspot.com/

Congrats to the BBJX thread for making it to 300 pages! We're almost at the 6000th post! Again thanks to everyone who helped provide pictures, videos, analysis, thought provoking questions, historical background info, etc.

I'm here too! I've just been lurking around..and in the same threads too.

I actually just rewatched the whole drama again with a friend over the weekend. Poor girl, she's a bucket of tears now. After the 4th time of watching it, it still makes me cry. Everyone's ending was soo tragic!!! Nicky's crying was superb.

Zheng Kai (郑凯) was the Mongolian Prince and was also Han Ming in Qing Shi Huang Fei - I found that I kept looking out for him throughout QSHF.

He's actually not much younger than 13th...born in 1985. And also has the height (1.81m)! Guess he's one of those HAWT but underrated actors milling around China's TV industry.

I remember LXX, ChineseChik and myself having a discussion about him. Everytime he appeared in the QSHF BTS shots, we were like *admiration* Seriously HOT, but his acting is just run-of-the-mill - either that or he hasn't gotten a role which can showcase his acting skills.

Pardon me...ahem!
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://sp2.yokacdn.com/photos/rss/2010/09/10/1284049061_69245.jpg')
    Last edited by xiaolong; 11-29-11 at 08:20 PM.
    I ship Shi-Harem

Quote Originally Posted by cutzie View Post
    I'm still here too, but mainly just lurking To celebrate this thread reaching 300 pages, here's the "sequel" video to "Vixen." If you thought the last video was wrong...

BTW, I took some liberties with the translations, just because some things just don't make sense in English as it does in Chinese, but the main gist is still there. Enjoy
    This is soo wrong but so awesome lol!

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Tangren will be adapting another Tong Hua novel - Da Mo Yao (Ballad of the Desert). Filming will start in March 2012. Leads are likely to be Hu Ge, LSS and Wallace Huo (although this is not confirmed yet). At least the men don't have to go bald since it's set in the Han Dynasty.

Yu Zheng, the producer of Gong, will be adapting the sequel to Da Mo Yao - Yun Zhong Ge (Song in the Clouds), starring Qiao Zhenyu and Mickey He (who was 4th Prince in Gong). Not sure who the leading lady is, though Yang Mi was hotly rumoured at one time. She's moved on to movies, so I doubt she'll be filming this.
    Ok don't kill me but.... I'm not thrilled with Hu Ge and LSS as the leads for DMY. As much as I love Hu Ge in CP1,3, LOCH08, Young Yang Warriors, etc., I think he's a bit lacking in the seduction department. He just doesn't have that smoldering look that YH and Nicky has. Plus I think feel like he's too nice to play the part of General Huo, who is a bit abrasive and temperamental at times, charming and flirtatious at other times.

And LSS, while I think she did a good job as RuoXi, she didn't wow me (especially towards the end) and I don't see her as Yu'er. Yu'er kinda reminds me of Huang Rong, smart, fearless, devoted, and of course beautiful. If anything, Yu'er is less cruel and more loving. Anyway I'm still not convinced that LSS can pull off this role. I think Yang Mi or Ady An would be a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by annbug View Post
    This is soo wrong but so awesome lol!
    OMG! hahahhahaha.... why is 13th always the vixen?