Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Inner Palace: Zhen Huan Biography 《后宫:甄嬛传》

Quote Originally Posted by msdustrain View Post
    i'm not a fan of the novel, acturally i dont like the novel at all. but i think highly of the drama. it's airing in taiwan now, and will air in mainland on 26th. hope the statistics are good. i heard that every episode is sold at 150,000 USD, and at least 4 TV stations have bought it.
    yes it spent much time making thouse beautiful clothes .i love them i like the second part of the play which Zhenhuan became a "bad "woman and began to revenge

I have to say it again, the costumes/sets/props are just divine and so incredibly elaborate. Everything must've cost a fortune! In recent years, the only other drama I can think of that matches the opulence of this is "Hong Lou Meng" (Dream of a Red Mansion)--but in a different way. HLM's sets/props felt sort of "muted/hazy" (fitting for the "dreamlike" quality of the drama), while Zhen Huan Zhuan is much more bright and luxurious-looking.

On episode 6 and loved LDX's first appearance. Also continue to love Sun Li and Jiang Xin's excellent performances (Ada Choi is quite good as well). Apart from that though, I am still pretty bored. It is a VERY well-written story, and does a great job of giving us a look into the lives of the women in the "hou gong" (no sugar-coating and unrealistic shenanigans like the other court dramas--definitely the best I've seen recently). But overall, watching a bunch of women scheme and duel it out for what feels like very trivial matters just doesn't manage to capture my attention... T_T I'll definitely continue to watch it and I hope its imminent nationwide airing gets popular, because this is such a wonderfully-crafted, high-quality drama (plus I adore several of the actors)...but I wish it were shorter since it feels like a lot of repetitive stuff to slog through. Like, if they condensed it all into 30 eps or so maybe I would find it a lot more exciting.

As for the emperor: I don't even mind so much that this YongZheng is not young or handsome (although of course I would prefer that!), but he just does not fit my image of at all. (I guess it doesn't help that Tang Guoqiang's YZ is so firmly etched in my mind...) I think I would actually prefer the emperor in this drama be middle-aged (not to mention it is more realistic), it's just that Chen Jianbin does not have the "qi zhi" to be an emperor. He comes off as way too soft/lazy, not at all imposing and hardworking like YZ is supposed to be. And I know this story is totally fictional (I was forewarned about it thanks to the post/review on JoleCole's drama blog) but it really irks me that they decided to make the emperor in this story Yongzheng. Couldn't they have chosen a lesser-known emperor, so the butchering of history isn't that glaring?? Eugh!

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    I have to say it again, the costumes/sets/props are just divine and so incredibly elaborate. Everything must've cost a fortune! In recent years, the only other drama I can think of that matches the opulence of this is "Hong Lou Meng" (Dream of a Red Mansion)--but in a different way. HLM's sets/props felt sort of "muted/hazy" (fitting for the "dreamlike" quality of the drama), while Zhen Huan Zhuan is much more bright and luxurious-looking.

On episode 6 and loved LDX's first appearance. Also continue to love Sun Li and Jiang Xin's excellent performances (Ada Choi is quite good as well). Apart from that though, I am still pretty bored. It is a VERY well-written story, and does a great job of giving us a look into the lives of the women in the "hou gong" (no sugar-coating and unrealistic shenanigans like the other court dramas--definitely the best I've seen recently). But overall, watching a bunch of women scheme and duel it out for what feels like very trivial matters just doesn't manage to capture my attention... T_T I'll definitely continue to watch it and I hope its imminent nationwide airing gets popular, because this is such a wonderfully-crafted, high-quality drama (plus I adore several of the actors)...but I wish it were shorter since it feels like a lot of repetitive stuff to slog through. Like, if they condensed it all into 30 eps or so maybe I would find it a lot more exciting.

As for the emperor: I don't even mind so much that this YongZheng is not young or handsome (although of course I would prefer that!), but he just does not fit my image of at all. (I guess it doesn't help that Tang Guoqiang's YZ is so firmly etched in my mind...) I think I would actually prefer the emperor in this drama be middle-aged (not to mention it is more realistic), it's just that Chen Jianbin does not have the "qi zhi" to be an emperor. He comes off as way too soft/lazy, not at all imposing and hardworking like YZ is supposed to be. And I know this story is totally fictional (I was forewarned about it thanks to the post/review on JoleCole's drama blog) but it really irks me that they decided to make the emperor in this story Yongzheng. Couldn't they have chosen a lesser-known emperor, so the butchering of history isn't that glaring?? Eugh!
    The original author actually wrote the script for this series too. At first, she chose an unknown Tang Dynasty emperor, but SARFT shot it down. In the end, she rewrote the script and chose YongZheng since the Yongzheng era somewhat parallels the basic story frame of her novel.
    Need to stop being lazy...

^ What! Why would SARFT refuse that and then give the go ahead for butchering YongZheng's rule?? T_T

tonight at 7:30pm!! Anhui TV and Dongfang TV!
    I need HD~~~ this drama is so pretty that i must watch it in HD!
    http://msdustrain00.wordpress.com/
    My blog about Asian drama.

I've heard rumours that this broadcast will be a longer, uncut version...I wonder if that's true?

Anyways I'm up to ep 25 now (only 1/3 of the way through... ) and the story is definitely getting more interesting (although still rather slow-paced for my taste, though extremely well-written indeed!). I still find Zhen Huan to be too much of a "Mary Sue"-ish character so far though--I hear she gets more manipulative and scheming in the second half though so I'm looking forward to that. (Though, I feel like Zhen Huan is the successful, well-written version of what YZ utterly failed to accomplish with Ruby's character in MRXJ--she was supposed to be a "nice naive" girl who entered the palace and was forced to become more cruel/manipulative to survive...well I completely failed to see any of that with Ruby's Dou Yifang, she just came off as annoying and Mary Sue throughout the entire series. On the other hand Zhen Huan is a much more 3D, complex character who actually DOES undergo a gradual, but very realistic and complex character change as a result of her surroundings. Funny enough the same voice dubber did both DYF and Zhen Huan...so I keep getting Dou Yifang flashbacks whenever Zhen Huan speaks, haha. )

In fact all the characters in Zhen Huan Zhuan in general are very well fleshed-out, no one is black-and-white good or evil but you understand all their motivations and actions...they also all have very distinct personalities and almost everyone undergoes gradual character changes. I don't think I've seen any other drama accomplish this aspect so well! (In terms of entertainment value though it still falls a bit short for me, but then again that is just my own personal preferences...)
    Last edited by mango_cake; 03-27-12 at 02:38 AM.

I've heard rumours that this broadcast will be a longer, uncut version...I wonder if that's true?

Anyways I'm up to ep 25 now (only 1/3 of the way through... ) and the story is definitely getting more interesting (although still rather slow-paced for my taste, though extremely well-written indeed!). I still find Zhen Huan to be too much of a "Mary Sue"-ish character so far though--I hear she gets more manipulative and scheming in the second half though so I'm looking forward to that. (Though, I feel like Zhen Huan is the successful, well-written version of what YZ utterly failed to accomplish with Ruby's character in MRXJ--she was supposed to be a "nice naive" girl who entered the palace and was forced to become more cruel/manipulative to survive...well I completely failed to see any of that with Ruby's Dou Yifang, she just came off as annoying and Mary Sue throughout the entire series. On the other hand Zhen Huan is a much more 3D, complex character who actually DOES undergo a gradual, but very realistic and complex character change as a result of her surroundings. Funny enough the same voice dubber did both DYF and Zhen Huan...so I keep getting Dou Yifang flashbacks whenever Zhen Huan speaks, haha. )

In fact all the characters in Zhen Huan Zhuan in general are very well fleshed-out, no one is black-and-white good or evil but you understand all their motivations and actions...they also all have very distinct personalities and almost everyone undergoes gradual character changes. I don't think I've seen any other drama accomplish this aspect so well! (In terms of entertainment value though it still falls a bit short for me, but then again that is just my own personal preferences...)
    i completely agree with you!!
    Sun Li is very very good!!
    Chen Jianbin is OK, i think he could be better...
    you must watch to the very end! the plot gets better and better!
    http://msdustrain00.wordpress.com/
    My blog about Asian drama.

Yeah, not a fan of Chen Jianbin in this drama... T_T (Probably my one main complaint...but oh well.)

Sun Li is a really good actress and has done a fantastic portrayal as Zhen Huan...but for some reason I find myself liking the other characters a lot more than Zhen Huan. Maybe because so far, Zhen Huan has had such an easy time (comparatively). I actually like Hui Gui Ren (although her acting is slightly wooden at parts), and Hua Fei (Jiang Xin is amazing in here!) as well as Cao Gui Ren more than Zhen Huan...I think it's due to the writing though.

Another thing I have to say is--this drama really gave me a different perspective on the "hou gong". Before, I never knew there were so many different "levels" among the palace women (guan nu zi < da ying < chang zai < gui ren < pin < fei < gui fei < huang gui fei < empress). I always thought it was just like 3 or 4 levels (since most series only focus on the higher-up ladies, i.e. the empress, gui fei, and fei while ignoring the many others at the bottom). It's crazy that these girls have to work so hard for "promotions" in the palace...kinda resembles the officials in the court who have the 9 "levels" they work their way up. (Except of course, the "hou gong politics" seems so superficial and trivial in comparison to the "court politics" since really...it doesn't make much actual difference in the world... )
    Last edited by mango_cake; 03-28-12 at 04:00 PM.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/73914afbjw1drotaqgknrj.jpg')

Another thing I have to say is--this drama really gave me a different perspective on the "hou gong". Before, I never knew there were so many different "levels" among the palace women (guan nu zi < da ying < chang zai < gui ren < pin < fei < gui fei < huang gui fei < empress). I always thought it was just like 3 or 4 levels (since most series only focus on the higher-up ladies, i.e. the empress, gui fei, and fei while ignoring the many others at the bottom). It's crazy that these girls have to work so hard for "promotions" in the palace...kinda resembles the officials in the court who have the 9 "levels" they work their way up. (Except of course, the "hou gong politics" seems so superficial and trivial in comparison to the "court politics" since really...it doesn't make much actual difference in the world... )
    I think it depends on the dynasty/kingdom, too. Certain ones have a more elaborate levels than others.

I think one of the reasons why the characters get very fleshed out portrayals though is that they get so much time to develop the story. The story itself could really be condensed into no more than 40-50 episodes but they made it into 70+...OMG. I guess we'll just have to take the bad with the good. But yea, the fact that a lot of these matters (at least in the begining) are so trial makes the amount of time portraying the events seem pretty excessive. I suppose it's like watching one of those "family" dramas where they start portraying all the daily problems everyone face, except these problems arn't as relatable considering the setting.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

^ Yeah, I went to read up on the different "levels" for the women in court and some of the dynasties had seriously complicated hierarchies! O_o

Anyways I really wish they cut this drama in half. I got up to the mid-30s episodes and I got so bored I stopped watching last week. T_T I still want to finish it though so I think I will give it another try next week... (unless it ends up like BBJX, which I watched 10 eps of, got so bored I stopped watching...and then never ended up continuing it despite intending to do so... ) I dunno, these palace dramas just seem to put me to sleep.

I think part of the reason is, I am finding Zhen Huan really annoying at this point. I think I am supposed to sympathize with her character but I just can't. (In fact I probably sympathize much more for Hua Fei than Zhen Huan, lol.) Not a fault of Sun Li because she's doing an incredible acting job, I just don't find the character likable. And it's really hard to continue a series when I find the plot boring, I dislike the main character, and am pretty ambivalent/negative towards most of the other characters too. I do like 17th prince but his appearances are so few at this point; I also like/pity Hua Fei but also dislike her at the same time; the Empress is still ok right now but is ALSO starting to show her more scheming/manipulative side so I have a feeling I won't like her for much longer.

^ Yeah, I went to read up on the different "levels" for the women in court and some of the dynasties had seriously complicated hierarchies! O_o
    just realized that letv.com has little clips of "history lessons" with the drama. it's actually pretty interesting. the lecturer talks a little bit about how women are chosen for the palace, how they are ranked, and some workings of the "hou gong". His voice is a bit annoying but he is hilarious. you should check it out if you have time.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/71b654e6gw1drt9ov5kytj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/71b654e6jw1drur8cfqorj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4094/94455766.png')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3834/30658257.png')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/611d62b2jw1drwqdx9qq4j.jpg')

I should've watched it when I could (i.e. a few months ago) because now it's been taken off youtube, which means I have to watch it on Chinese streaming sites (slow buffering speed). Even though 后宫 dramas aren't my thing, I'm just going to skim through a few episodes for the original book and Sun Li.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

I'll try to put it on my Youtube channel when I have time. I haven't seen the complete series as I was busy, but from the few episodes I caught, it looks like a highly critically-acclaimed-type series. And the book is now being sold in all the major bookstores. But I need to get into the right mindset for such a long heavy-going series - it has like 70 episodes?!! Right now I'm in the home town of Hunan TV itself watching all their 'lei' series bcos I'm on holiday and dun want to think, LOL.
    I ship Shi-Harem

Thanks, xiaolong. It's fine if you don't though-the company's really tight now on any episodes of Inner Palace appearing on Youtube.

Haha. I was marathoning through most Hunan's drama trailers, and so far not many of them have caught my eye (despite the fact that some of them have a few artists I like leading them). It just annoys me that I see Zhang Han/Zheng Shuang everywhere these days.
    The only production in which I have actually watched some episodes of is 凰图腾, and how they squish everything in the last few episodes isn't really to my liking.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    I'll try to put it on my Youtube channel when I have time. I haven't seen the complete series as I was busy, but from the few episodes I caught, it looks like a highly critically-acclaimed-type series. And the book is now being sold in all the major bookstores. But I need to get into the right mindset for such a long heavy-going series - it has like 70 episodes?!! Right now I'm in the home town of Hunan TV itself watching all their 'lei' series bcos I'm on holiday and dun want to think, LOL.
    Hello! you can watch the series here, on tudou: http://zone.tudou.com/hgzhz with chinese subs, not all the episodes are there, they post 2 per day. the quality is great!