Thread: Was Wong Yung wulin's eighth best active known fighter at the end of LOCH?

Default Was Wong Yung wulin's eighth best active known fighter at the end of LOCH?

At the end of LOCH, the top seven known active fighters in the world were the four remaining original Greats, Chow Bak Tung, Kau Cheen Yan, and Gwok Jing. Was Wong Yung the eighth best active known fighter in wulin at the time, or was someone else still above her (but beneath the top seven)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    At the end of LOCH, the top seven known active fighters in the world were the four remaining original Greats, Chow Bak Tung, Kau Cheen Yan, and Gwok Jing. Was Wong Yung the eighth best active known fighter in wulin at the time, or was someone else still above her (but beneath the top seven)?
    Well, this depends how you want to classify "wulin". Do you want to restrict it to only the LOCH universe? Because technically Gongsun Zi, XLN, LMC, Qiu Qien Ci etc were all alive during the LOCH period and would qualify under the wulin umbrella.

If we're strictly using characters that have made appearanes in LOCH... then by the end of the book, she may very well be around 8th

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    Well, this depends how you want to classify "wulin". Do you want to restrict it to only the LOCH universe? Because technically Gongsun Zi, XLN, LMC, Qiu Qien Ci etc were all alive during the LOCH period and would qualify under the wulin umbrella.

If we're strictly using characters that have made appearanes in LOCH... then by the end of the book, she may very well be around 8th
    None of the above mentioned characters except maybe Gongsun Zi was her match. QQC is a cripple while XLN a toddler. I don't see LMC being able to defeat WY. But, LMC and XLN's nameless master should be able to spank her.
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

Was she better than Qiu Chuji, Ma Yu and Wang Chuyi?

Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    None of the above mentioned characters except maybe Gongsun Zi was her match. QQC is a cripple while XLN a toddler. I don't see LMC being able to defeat WY. But, LMC and XLN's nameless master should be able to spank her.
    Wouldn't QQC still be well during the end of LOCH? If she was a cripple already that would make Gongsun Luer older than Yang Guo. Or was she?

There was also that monk who fought off Li Mochou and Wu Santong and bought the Lu family several years of peace. Lu Chengfeng might still be alive and if he was he'd be able to beat Huang Rong, I'd think. I've always been upset that his fate was left so unknown - neither Huang Rong nor Li Mochou gave a clear account of what actually happened to him when Ouyang Feng chased Huang Rong into the Returning Cloud Villa.

I think someone like Ma Yu or Qiu Chuji should still be better than her. Her inner strength is really low compared to the two.

Ken stated active, so I guess all the above people mentioned wouldn't really count, not even Gongsun Zi since he stays in his valley.

I think LOCH didn't explore enough of wulin, and HSDS was the first to have that traditional wuxia template. Technically all the schools that say they have hundreds of years of history like Kongtong, Huashan, Ming, and all those other sects should have someone at the least stronger than Huang Rong, and possibly Guo Jing, and by definition are active since they belong in the sect.
    Last edited by tape; 12-15-10 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post

During the timeframe of ROCH, Gung Sheun Tze had become very powerful, but during the time of LOCH, Gung Sheun Tze had not reached such an advanced level yet. Kau Cheen Chek mentioned that until she taught Gung Sheun Tze some of her martial arts, his skills were not that good. Her training of him would have happened during or after the LOCH era.

Little Dragon Girl was a child during LOCH, and likely had only begun training in the martial arts.

Lee Mok Sau was around Wong Yung's age, and during the LOCH era, she was far from attaining her best martial arts level.

Kau Cheen Chek would likely have been at least equal to or perhaps better than Wong Yung during LOCH; I wonder if she was active or known to wulin at large during the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Was she better than Qiu Chuji, Ma Yu and Wang Chuyi?
    That would be the nearest point of reference. Technique-wise, I think that her mastery of Dog Beating Stick Technique would trump anything they have individually, but I don't know if Wong Yung's 9 Yum Jen Ging inner power cultivation had enabled her to reach their inner power level yet by the end of LOCH.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I think someone like Ma Yu or Qiu Chuji should still be better than her. Her inner strength is really low compared to the two.
    It's a toss-up. She had been training in the 9 Yum Jen Ging's inner power for some time by the end of LOCH, but I don't know if she had trained long enough to match or surpass those Cheun Jen Sect masters. Maybe, but maybe not. Hard to say.

Ken stated active, so I guess all the above people mentioned wouldn't really count, not even Gongsun Zi since he stays in his valley.
    That, and I think it wouldn't be until the ROCH era that Gung Sheun Tze would be that good.

I think LOCH didn't explore enough of wulin, and HSDS was the first to have that traditional wuxia template. Technically all the schools that say they have hundreds of years of history like Kongtong, Huashan, Ming, and all those other sects should have someone at the least stronger than Huang Rong, and possibly Guo Jing, and by definition are active since they belong in the sect.
    It's possible, but I doubt it. Had such martial artists been active during LOCH, they'd probably have some notoriety and consider training for the Mt. Hua Sword Tournaments considering they wouldn't be that far off the Greats' level. You do sort of wonder why wulin in general seemed so "dead" during LOCH other than the Greats and the few sects that appear in the story.

Now that I think back on it, I think as late as in ROCH, Huang Rong was said to be inferior to Qiu Chuji in either internal or overall martial arts, I forget which one. If that were the case, then LOCH Huang Rong would have no chance.

It's possible, but I doubt it. Had such martial artists been active during LOCH, they'd probably have some notoriety and consider training for the Mt. Hua Sword Tournaments considering they wouldn't be that far off the Greats' level. You do sort of wonder why wulin in general seemed so "dead" during LOCH other than the Greats and the few sects that appear in the story.
    Well you have to clarify what you mean by active member in wulin. Do you mean named characters in LOCH/ROCH, or characters that can be extrapolated to have existed? Shaolin should for sure have a couple old geezers that would stomp Huang Rong, and likely those really old sects like Kunlun and Ming. I don't think there's any chance that the leader of the Ming Cult at the time would be any lower than Huang Rong.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Well you have to clarify what you mean by active member in wulin. Do you mean named characters in LOCH/ROCH, or characters that can be extrapolated to have existed? Shaolin should for sure have a couple old geezers that would stomp Huang Rong, and likely those really old sects like Kunlun and Ming. I don't think there's any chance that the leader of the Ming Cult at the time would be any lower than Huang Rong.
    "Active" would mean known to most well-informed wulin veterans, and actually out in wulin participating in activities (mostly fights) rather than in seclusion.

"Active" would mean known to most well-informed wulin veterans, and actually out in wulin participating in activities (mostly fights) rather than in seclusion.
    So you mean named characters? We do not know who they know if there is no context for them to be referenced, or whether they are active or secluded.

It would make no sense for leaders of major sects to not be active, but they are not named, yet we know they exist through a recounting of legacy.

I'm only questioning because I thought it'd be fun to name characters that we know SHOULD have existed, like say the teacher of the Xuan Ming elder should have existed 40 years prior to HSDS, and would have been quite the menace to society especially if he was better than the Xuan Ming elders. All the people at Guo Xiang's little party are also supposedly world renowned, as Guo Jing extended invitations to them but didn't receive a response. They would likely be known by everyone and have high martial arts, but unknown to the reader until a reason for them to be mentioned is given.
    Last edited by tape; 12-15-10 at 03:52 PM.

Nope..
    I never image she is "better" than any of QCJ or MCF or Ma Yu in terms of "pure" martial art/skill even in the end of LOCH

I always felt that HR's martial arts were never truly that good; in fact, I believe that she was pretty average. She just wasn't keen on learning. If she was, she would had already likely been very strong the moment she left Peach Blossom Isle. Look at what HYS' disciples all achieved with just a few years with HYS. Plus, HR was his daughter and we can definitely expect even more favourable teachings with no hold-backs.

I always believe that HR could had been easily defeated by many fighters and she relied heavily on her quick wits and bizarre martial arts+the formations her daddy taught. Of course, more seasoned fighters can eventually break her formations. I believe she is definitely lower than QCJ, Wang Chu Yi and Ma Yu even with DBS. I think Mei Chao Feng can also defeat her. Heck, I think a crippled Ouyang Ke will also be able to hold his own against her.

Quote Originally Posted by hyoyatika View Post
    I always felt that HR's martial arts were never truly that good; in fact, I believe that she was pretty average. She just wasn't keen on learning. If she was, she would had already likely been very strong the moment she left Peach Blossom Isle. Look at what HYS' disciples all achieved with just a few years with HYS. Plus, HR was his daughter and we can definitely expect even more favourable teachings with no hold-backs.

I always believe that HR could had been easily defeated by many fighters and she relied heavily on her quick wits and bizarre martial arts+the formations her daddy taught. Of course, more seasoned fighters can eventually break her formations. I believe she is definitely lower than QCJ, Wang Chu Yi and Ma Yu even with DBS. I think Mei Chao Feng can also defeat her. Heck, I think a crippled Ouyang Ke will also be able to hold his own against her.
    Yeeeep she even quite fear against the cripple OYK at Sha Gu house in Lin An !!!! So even in the end of LOCH I don't think she is better than say MCF or QCJ..