Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
Results 261 to 271 of 271

Thread: The Snow is Red

  1. #261
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    I always get frustrated watching Snow is Red. The lackluster Andrew character and Gong Suet's sister. I only liked Lawerence and Bonnie's character. Who knew he'd be killed off.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

  2. #262
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I felt the series storyline has a weakness. It's repetitive. It's always Lip Siu Fung try some scheme attack wulin and sabotage by Gong Suet, and story repeat. Also, after watch the whole series, I still don't know what's the aim of Siu Fung's Ming Ngok. What did she hope to achieve. I remember there was a scene where she said in front of her tomb that now some many years, her Ming Ngok Sect has some achievement. What achievement? Scaring wulin?
    I think it was from being nothing to being ones of the biggest sects in wulin.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  3. #263
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I never got why ATV preferred Andrew to Lawrence. But I knew Lawrence was involved in a scandal with a rich other woman at the time.

    I think after the versatile ones like Kwong Wah, Nick Cheung, Jackie Lui left, ATV got left with with Gilbert and Lawrence and a hunch of newbies. ATV then started to cooperate with Taiwan and give the Taiwanese actors the leads.

    I remember Lawrence as the scholar who killed his prostitute mum in Justice Bao. It was a short but sad story but very good from both artistes. I don't agree with the killing but he was very hesistant and his mum willingly died for him. BTW, the actress who played his mum also played Princess Wan Lor in Magic Crane.

    Lawrence was great as Chor Kong Nam (?) In Swordsman. But the story was weird and the pairings were
    I haven't seen any atv series past 2000 so I don't know as it is harder to find atv series here back then. Mostly tvb series at the rental places. So are you saying that atv series past 2000 all had Taiwan lead? I do not know. I do notice they were promoting Andrew heavily. He's okay I guess, just dislike his character in snow is red. I think Gilbert is also very good, but look like Gilbert and Lawrence didn't do so well in tvb, always got bad roles.

    I have nothing against Damian Lau, I think he is a very good actor but thought it was weird pairing of him and Erica or Kristy. I think he look better with Patricia chong ching yee. I thought he was pretty good as Chor Kong Nam, it caught me off guard because he seem to be very good friends with Damien and was always righteous. I thought more people noticed him after swordsman but it seems like he just got more villain roles if not 3rd of 4th lead, if not film extra. I didn't know he was involve in a scandal with a rich woman. I recall there was an article back in 05 his gf was rich also. Can't recall exactly.

    Lawrence was in two cases in justice pao. The first one was the scholar that killed his mom. I did notice it was same actress who played Princess Wan Lor. I like her but I thought it was weird that they made her play the mom there. I don't think she was that old yet. But they had very good chemistry and it made me sad. She was very understanding and willingly died for him. Made me cry. You saw he was hesitant and also regretted it. I thought it was interesting he refused help from his biological father. The ending made me cry so much. In the end, he was just dead above the mother's grave, does that mean he just killed himself?

    his other case was as the salt bandit leader with wong yim na. I thought they had good chemistry together.

  4. #264
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I felt the series storyline has a weakness. It's repetitive. It's always Lip Siu Fung try some scheme attack wulin and sabotage by Gong Suet, and story repeat. Also, after watch the whole series, I still don't know what's the aim of Siu Fung's Ming Ngok. What did she hope to achieve. I remember there was a scene where she said in front of her tomb that now some many years, her Ming Ngok Sect has some achievement. What achievement? Scaring wulin?
    I think she just wanted to rebuilt what her grandfather had. She saw how her mom suffer.


    Your right, Kristy was always mean to her mom and nice to everyone else. She was quick to acknowledge David as her father but refuses to call mimi mother and I thought that was sad.

  5. #265
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I always get frustrated watching Snow is Red. The lackluster Andrew character and Gong Suet's sister. I only liked Lawerence and Bonnie's character. Who knew he'd be killed off.
    I totally agree =)

  6. #266
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I haven't seen any atv series past 2000 so I don't know as it is harder to find atv series here back then. Mostly tvb series at the rental places. So are you saying that atv series past 2000 all had Taiwan lead? I do not know. I do notice they were promoting Andrew heavily. He's okay I guess, just dislike his character in snow is red. I think Gilbert is also very good, but look like Gilbert and Lawrence didn't do so well in tvb, always got bad roles.
    I think the influx of Taiwanese actors hit around the mid 1990's til late 1990's, (Vincent Jiao, Steve Ma, the guy who played Lok Ping in TGOD, the dude who played the guy who was obsessed with Gong Suet in TSIR), not for every series, but only for the main ones. And then ATV started to employ outside help like Felix Wong, Simon Yam, Kent Tong, Lawrence Ng and Donnie Yen instead of using or training their own stars.

    Gilbert was actually grabbed from Malaysia where he stayed a few years after leaving TVB. Poor Lawrence has been stick in ATV since the beginning. Whoops, forgot about Eric who was the only ATV-bred actor who was promoted and to him for being so great!

    Before 2000 hit, ATV had already fallen into bad management and they only had Eric, Andrew and Kenneth Chan (who they nabbed from TVB) left and they were in nearly everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Lawrence was in two cases in justice pao. The first one was the scholar that killed his mom. I did notice it was same actress who played Princess Wan Lor. I like her but I thought it was weird that they made her play the mom there. I don't think she was that old yet. But they had very good chemistry and it made me sad. She was very understanding and willingly died for him. Made me cry. You saw he was hesitant and also regretted it. I thought it was interesting he refused help from his biological father. The ending made me cry so much. In the end, he was just dead above the mother's grave, does that mean he just killed himself?

    his other case was as the salt bandit leader with wong yim na. I thought they had good chemistry together.
    Yes. He killed himself to atone for his sins and be with his mum. I didn't watch the other story.



    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I have nothing against Damian Lau, I think he is a very good actor but thought it was weird pairing of him and Erica or Kristy. I think he look better with Patricia chong ching yee. I thought he was pretty good as Chor Kong Nam, it caught me off guard because he seem to be very good friends with Damien and was always righteous. I thought more people noticed him after swordsman but it seems like he just got more villain roles if not 3rd of 4th lead, if not film extra. I didn't know he was involve in a scandal with a rich woman. I recall there was an article back in 05 his gf was rich also. Can't recall exactly.
    I love Damian on screen but for him to play a young guy at his age was too much. Even his acting could not save it. I didn't mind if he ended with Mak Lai Hung/Mak Ging Ting, but gosh, not Erica or Kristy. I didn't know which was worse, pairing Kristy with Damian or pairing her with Norman!

    It was a scandal because they were not officially dating and he escorted to her to a few balls. So rumours started that he was selling himself and then it got out of control. I think Lawrence teaches golf now. His restaurant closed down in China though.
    Last edited by charbydis; 07-13-15 at 08:32 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  7. #267
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    808

    Default

    I do remember steve ma in a few series. But I think they still use their own artist like Stephen Au, Gilbert, Andrew and Eric. But they did use Norman and Damien a lot, No offense to both Damien or Norman they are wonder actors. Then it was ex tvb actors. But your right, always outside help. Wish they could have promoted their own artists.

  8. #268
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Did not know about the scandal, sad how the news and gossip can really destroy someone's career. Sadness...
    Oh I didn't know his restaurant closed, but yes I did hear about the golf thing. Sometimes I just rewatch old series for Lawrence, Erica, and Wong Mei.

  9. #269
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    I am so happy. I managed to find the full 40 ep version of TSIR in cantonese on youtube. I have waited nearly two decades for this.

  10. #270
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I am so happy. I managed to find the full 40 ep version of TSIR in cantonese on youtube. I have waited nearly two decades for this.
    Whoops. Not youtube, but tudou i just found secret battle of the majesties as well in full cantonese version so i am over the moon. Yippee!

  11. #271
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    808

    Default

    I like Erica and Lawrence but can't really get myself to watch part two of secret battle of the majesties....
    Everytime I watch Snow is Red, I just watch it for Lawrence and Bonnie =)

Similar Threads

  1. snow is red
    By Goofy in forum On Reviews
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-02-10, 04:56 AM
  2. Replies: 73
    Last Post: 05-23-09, 10:55 AM
  3. The Snow Queen
    By Sunlight_zero36 in forum Japanese/Korean Dramas
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 01-15-08, 01:20 AM
  4. Snow White
    By bella25 in forum Japanese/Korean Dramas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-07, 02:41 PM
  5. Snow and the Seven
    By 31770 in forum Movies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-18-06, 12:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •