Thread: Thousand year Ginseng

Default Thousand year Ginseng

The thousand year ginseng was a present given to Guo Xiang for her 16th birthday by I-can't-remember-who. It is "claimed" to be able to eradicate various poisons and (most importantly) extend the life of the one who eats it.

What does everyone think happened to it?? If it really can do what is claimed to do, then it is possible for something like a 150 year old XLN running around in HSDS. Personally, I hope that didn't happen because it is just plain ridiculous. Maybe Z3F got it somehow, that's how he's able to walk around healthily when he's 110 or something.

Didn't she talk HR and GJ into taking it to extend their lives then HR and GJ agreed to use it to help the troops in the seige at Xiangyang an? I realize that that does not necessarily establish where it ended up, but that is what I vaguely recall. I waited through the entire last section of the book for it to be the way everyone got saved, but it never showed up again.

The thousand year ginseng was a present given to Guo Xiang for her 16th birthday by I-can't-remember-who
    This is where I come in to expose the ELOC.

It was Bai Cao Xian, a keeper of herbal treasures.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

It was Bai Cao Xian, a keeper of herbal treasures.
    I wonder if his stash was bigger than the Indian Monk, East Heretic Wong Yerk See, or Leung Tze Yung's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    These Thousand Year Ginseng never work as advertised anyway...
    Nope.

If they worked, you'd get ads about them in your email inbox everyday eh?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    These Thousand Year Ginseng never work as advertised anyway...
    It doesn't work in real life, but it works in wuxia. They are available in some Chinese herbal stores and cost up up few thousand dollars each. Personally I wouldn't try it. I think it does more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Nope.

If they worked, you'd get ads about them in your email inbox everyday eh?
    If they worked as described, you won't be able to buy them because they will worth million of dollars each. Only multimillionaires or billionaires can able to afford it
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 05-08-11 at 03:42 PM.

Are these thousand year ginsengs really a thousand years old?

Quote Originally Posted by devilz91 View Post
    Are these thousand year ginsengs really a thousand years old?
    I doubt it. They are probably 50 or 100 years old. Well, the older they are the stronger they are. If you use them, your blood pressure might be skyrocketed and your life could be done .

I think they are 1000 years old, hence the name. In the wuxia world of cause. I don't know if they really exist now but since we are talking in wuxia terms, then they must be 1000 years old, that's what makes it special and that's the reason for all the stories about longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I doubt it. They are probably 50 or 100 years old. Well, the older they are the stronger they are. If you use them, your blood pressure might be skyrocketed and your life could be done .
    There's a reason for legends that you'll become an immortal after consuming 1,000 years old ginseng.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    There's a reason for legends that you'll become an immortal after consuming 1,000 years old ginseng.
    Legend is legend! It's not necessary true. If the legend is true, then all the emperors would have long life. People in modern day would search for those 1000 years old ginseng and sell for millions of dollars. Well, life is better that there is no magical medicine. It's better that those 1000 years old ginseng doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Legend is legend! It's not necessary true. If the legend is true, then all the emperors would have long life. People in modern day would search for those 1000 years old ginseng and sell for millions of dollars. Well, life is better that there is no magical medicine. It's better that those 1000 years old ginseng doesn't work.
    Its a joke on your sentence/statement... to become an immortal is to leave the mortal world a.k.a. your life will be done after consuming it...
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree