Thread: Sammul Chan leaves TVB

Default Sammul Chan leaves TVB

Sammul Chan leaves TVB

Actor Sammul Chan, who starred in a string of popular Cantonese dramas like The Academy trilogy and Survivor’s Law, has left Television Broadcasts Limited (TVB), the major TV station in Hong Kong.
    The star of the upcoming Chinese series Love At Dusk revealed that he has not renewed his contract with TVB.
    For decades, TVB is known as the cradle that nurtures a string of acting talents that went on to become household names. Among them were Tony Leung Chiu-wai, Carina Lau, Maggie Cheung, Stephen Chow and Andy Lau.
    Chan, 32, shot to stardom playing an ambitious lawyer in 2003’s Survivor’s Law, but compared to peers like Raymond Lam and Ron Ng, he was given mostly supporting roles during his TVB days.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.dailychilli.com/images/stories/2011/01/13_15/sammul.jpg')
    Sammul Chan (left) was noted for his portrayal as a young police officer in The Academy trilogy. The series also starred Ron Ng (right).

Despite so, he denied that was the reason of his departure.
    “Each company has its strengths and weaknesses. What matter to me are the roles. Recently, there’s a shift in my career focus. Out of consideration for a bigger market, I decided not to renew my contract with TVB.

“I would rather have more freedom and explore new territories,” said Chan, who gained a huge following in China following his starring roles in China-produced television series like Schemes of a Beauty.
    Despite being a free agent now, Chan did not rule out the possibility of returning to the station in the future.
    “TVB is where I grew up. It had provided me with opportunities along the past ten years. So I’m grateful. Although I’m now based in China, it does not mean that I’ve forever left TVB. Who knows? I might return after one or two years,” he said.
    Chan's last TVB series, a historical drama called Relic of an Emissary, is set to air later this year.

Link
    http://www.dailychilli.com/happening...han-leaves-tvb

Is this rumour ?
    He most underated TVB tiger of 2000an .
    Last edited by galvatron; 01-15-11 at 12:38 AM.

I'm upset about this news. I prefer watching TVB series over Mainland series. But, now that he decided to focus 100% in Mainland series, I won't be able to watch him in TVB series anymore. Well, hope he change his mind and sign a 1 year 1 series contract like Bowie does with TVB.

Chan, 32, shot to stardom playing an ambitious lawyer in 2003’s Survivor’s Law, but compared to peers like Raymond Lam and Ron Ng, he was given mostly supporting roles during his TVB days.
    Sammul himself chose this route. He chose freedom over TVB promotion. While his peers are all managed by TVB, he is not. That's why his opportunities are less compared to his peers. He has been with the same manager for 10 years.

TVB now started sending their managed actors (Ron, Myolie, Tavia) to Mainland to film, but, Sammul started earlier. Haha, I think TVB started sending their actors to act in Yu Zheng series after Sammul became popular in China due to acting in Yu Zheng's series. YZ might be constantly being criticised of copying, but, there's no denying that his series are popular in China.

If Sammul is going to focus in China, I hope he can participate in other producers' series. So far, all the series he participated in are Yu Zheng's series.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-16-11 at 06:37 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Good for Sammul. TVB doesn't have the resources to promote so many people at the moment so regarding his career, it is a wise move to focus on mainland series. He has been widely popular in his last few series in mainland China and he is very fluent in Mandarin so why not take this opportunity and explore his choices? They definately pay more than TVB does and he will get more promotion and recognition for his work. If he succeeds, his future salary will increase even if he decides to resign with TVB again.

I support Sammul in this decision. Good luck to Sammul.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

He can still focus on China market and signed per series contract with TVB. In this way be cane increase his popularity in mainland China and maintain his visibility in HK. I guess he wants total freedom from TVB rules. Maybe he wants to appear in ICable and ATV as well and speak whatever language he wants in whatever channel?

So, I have to watch Yu Zheng's series if I want to watch him in the future? Not very fond of draggy love story which Yu Zheng loves to do.

Update: No wonder he focus on mainland China. He finally able to sing one themesong by himself (he sings the themesong of 煙雨斜陽), something that TVB has not let him do for ages.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-16-11 at 10:26 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

hope sammul will have a good career, but he was definitely not underrated. in fact, id say hes overrated.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    hope sammul will have a good career, but he was definitely not underrated. in fact, id say hes overrated.
    I don't think he's underrated nor overrated, and while I do enjoy watching him, I don't think he has the screen presence required to be a main lead. I've always preferred seeing him as a supporting character, and I think he has a lot of charisma in comedic roles (more so than guys like Ron and Raymond or even Bosco). In "The Four" he was my favorite constable next to Raymond as he provided much comedic relief whenever there was tension in the atmosphere.

I rarely watch China productions, so I'm going to miss seeing Sammul. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.