Thread: Times when heroic/good wuxia characters had to kill a loved one for the world's good?

Default Times when heroic/good wuxia characters had to kill a loved one for the world's good?

Can you think of situations in wuxia wherein a good/heroic character needed to (and successfully carried out) the killing of a loved one/friend/student for the good of the world? For some reason, the former loved one/friend/student turned evil, and much to the good character's regret, he/she had to kill the traitor for the good of the world and/or justice.

The only example I could think of is Cheung 3 Fung's execution of Sung Ching Sheu at the end of HSDS (and, if it's novel canon and not a TVB innovation, the similar execution of Cheun Jen Sect third generation member Chiu Tze Ging by his teacher, Wong Chui 1). Are there any others?

I don't think Zhang Sanfeng killed Song Qingshu for the world's good, but as punishment instead. Which I why I think Jin Yong changed it in the 3rd edition; as a good Daoist, Zhang Sanfeng had no reason to kill Song Qingshu.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    I don't think Zhang Sanfeng killed Song Qingshu for the world's good, but as punishment instead.
    In a sense, that punishment is also for the good of the world: it's a powerful message to the rest of the world that the Mo Dong Sect upholds justice and makes no exception for its own members when they go wayward.

Zhao Zhijing's execution was a TVB invention. As shown in the 2003 adaptation, Zhao Zhijing was stung to death by the jade bees, and the novel explains it further as his fumbling and dropping the bottle, smashing the bottle and splashing himself with honey, thus attracting the bees.

It wasn't carried through as the situation changed, but Guo Jing was prepared to assassinate Tolui to permanently drive the Mongols away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    I don't think Zhang Sanfeng killed Song Qingshu for the world's good, but as punishment instead. Which I why I think Jin Yong changed it in the 3rd edition; as a good Daoist, Zhang Sanfeng had no reason to kill Song Qingshu.
    What is the new change in the 3rd edition?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    What is the new change in the 3rd edition?
    Apparently, in ed. 3, Sung Ching Sheu finally succumbs to the critical injury that his martial uncle Yu Lin Chou inflicted upon him at Shaolin.