Thread: Shaolin-Andy Lau ,Nicholas Tse ,Jacky Wu Jing, Xing Yu, Fan Bingbing

Default Shaolin-Andy Lau ,Nicholas Tse ,Jacky Wu Jing, Xing Yu, Fan Bingbing

Shaolin philosophy

Director Benny Chan explores the peaceful and benevolent aspects of Shaolin kung fu in his latest flick.
    SHAOLIN: A legendary, almost mystical name that inspires awe and wonder, and evokes images of bald-headed monks with incredible kung fu skills.

But there is another side to the legendary Shaolin temple that is seldom focused upon in movies, TV series and comics – the contemplative, benevolent and peaceful side that uses its martial arts not for waging war, but to defend peace.
    It is this softer and more philosophical side of Shaolin that Hong Kong director Benny Chan chose to focus on when planning his remake of the iconic 1982 film The Shaolin Temple (which starred a very young Jet Li).

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ecentral.my/archives/2011/1/21/movies/p2andy.jpg') Cold-hearted: In Shaolin, Andy Lau’s character starts off as a ruthless and ambitious warlord who stops at nothing
    “Most of the movies about the Shaolin temple focus on the kung fu, the fighting and the action. I wanted to portray a different side of Shaolin – the more philosophical, peaceful and benevolent side of it,” said the director at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday.
    Chan, whose previous works include New Police Story and Rob-B-Hood, was in town with actor Andy Lau to promote the movie.
    The result of Chan’s approach is a much more contemplative and dramatic take on the Shaolin way of life, one that makes the most of the acting prowess of its main stars Andy Lau and Nicholas Tse, both of whom are not true martial arts exponents

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ecentral.my/archives/2011/1/21/movies/p3nicky.jpg') Power-crazy: Nicholas Tse plays the treacherous Cao Mang, a former protégé of Hao Jie (Andy Lau) who follows in his exmaster’s ruthless footsteps in his unrelenting pursuit of power.

Set in the early 20th century after the fall of the Qing Dynasty, Shaolin features a China torn apart by war between feuding warlords seeking to expand their power.
    Lau plays Hao Jie, an arrogant and powerful warlord who is forced to seek refuge at the Shaolin temple when he is betrayed and tragedy befalls his family.
    There, he learns the way of the Shaolin temple, finds his own inner peace and repents from his former evil ways.
    However, when he discovers his former protégé Cao Mang’s (Tse) plans to betray his countrymen, he is forced to confront his past and make a stand together with the Shaolin monks.
    Besides Lau and Tse, the movie also stars Jacky Wu Jing, Xing Yu, Fan Bingbing (who plays Hao Jie’s wife) and features a special guest appearance by Jackie Chan.
    Most of the movie was filmed in China’s Zhejiang province, at a custom-made set that is almost an exact replica of the real temple, and cost 10mil yuan (RM4.6mil) to build.

Link
    http://ecentral.my/news/story.asp?fi...915&sec=movies

Have anyone watch shaolin here already ?

I've watched it. Great acting all around. Not a martial arts extravaganza, that's for sure, for which I'm glad, since it would've ruined the drama.

I haven't seen anything like this before. This seem to be very interesting.

Yeah, this is one of my favourite Mandarin movies to date

I really liked this movie. All around it's a very well rounded emotionally touching movie with bits of humor to offset the tragic happenings.