Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: What do you think of this quote?

  1. #1
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default What do you think of this quote?

    "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  2. #2
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,376

    Default

    The intuitive mind will get you killed if you're not careful.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  3. #3
    Senior Member ByTmE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    District of Columbia
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    My first instinct: It's helpful to be intuitive. However, you better keep your opinions to yourself because the rational minds might label you as "judgmental" or "irrational" because the logic of the intuitive mind might not mesh with the logic of so called rational minds.

    My second instinct: Oh, what am I trying to say? Please define intuitive mind versus rational mind.
    I like me.

  4. #4
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    My first instinct:
    My second instinct:
    I see that you are using your intuitive mind a lot.

    You can define the terms anyway you like since this is not my quote. It's quoted by someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    The intuitive mind will get you killed if you're not careful.
    I kinda has the same thought as you. But, I'm surrounded by people who value intuition very highly and think that intuition and what your heart wants is always good and right.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  5. #5
    Senior Member Snafu3721's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    698

    Default

    It just depends on one's personal opinion on the value of intuition vs logic.

    If you prize logic more than intuition, then the original quote is null and void. Because you wouldn't think that you are honoring a servant while forgetting the gift. It would be the other way around.

    On a tangential note-- What your heart wants is not always good and right. If a gorgeous sexy girl walked by in a skimpy outfit, many men's instinct (which is the most primal gut feeling a person can have) would be to ravage her sexually. But our logic and understanding of modern society's norms and values usually prevents one from doing so.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ByTmE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    District of Columbia
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I see that you are using your intuitive mind a lot.

    You can define the terms anyway you like since this is not my quote. It's quoted by someone else.


    I kinda has the same thought as you. But, I'm surrounded by people who value intuition very highly and think that intuition and what your heart wants is always good and right.
    LoL I agree with you on the last note. I tend to keep my intuition to myself in daily life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post


    On a tangential note-- What your heart wants is not always good and right. If a gorgeous sexy girl walked by in a skimpy outfit, many men's instinct (which is the most primal gut feeling a person can have) would be to ravage her sexually. But our logic and understanding of modern society's norms and values usually prevents one from doing so.
    A bit frightening to hear actually. Well, it's not like I'm a gorgeous sexy girl who wears skimpy clothes, however your description caused me to form a mini "mind movie".
    I like me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Candide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    ( @ )( @ )
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    Civilization is built around the rational mind. It puts shackles on poor human behaviours and channels our intuition & energy towards useful pursuits for society.

    The Age of Decadence starts when we begin to overvalue intuition and only pay lip service to the rational mind. Which is right now.

    But, I'm surrounded by people who value intuition very highly and think that intuition and what your heart wants is always good and right.
    You probably work with lots of women and gay men.

    Intuition, as the earlier example shows, is amoral. The result of following one's intuition or instinct can be disastrous and evil. It is the rational mind that creates morals, virtues and laws that hold society together (both unwritten and written social contracts). Without them, you won't be able to sit here and discuss intuition vs rational safely.

    ByTmE, you have no idea how much of your personal safety is due to all the men around you acting completely against their instinct, in accordance to an unwritten social contract, to protect you. The day you take that for granted and alienate men from your life is the day you will lose that safety. Women do not understand how admirably strong a man's restraint is against his own primal instinct. Think about the horniest time of month for a woman (when you just can't get your hands off your man), and imagine that on a typical day, a man has 20 times that amount of testosterone flowing through his body, while biologically, he's programmed to spread his seeds far & wide.

    Having said that, no evil is greater than the dark side of the feminine unshackled from the rational mind of society (i.e what's happening to our society right now), but that's for another topic.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

    "I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
    Rational mind is wise but unpopular and politically incorrect whereas intuitive mind is popular and politically correct but unwise.

  9. #9
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Reading this article relating to this topic. Not yet finish reading. The writer said intuition is always right, but, to differentiate between intuition, wishful thinking, projection, thought and emotion is the difficult part.

    http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/...n-always-right
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  10. #10
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    This is a funny example someone wrote about intuition, imagination, ego and logic.

    Example:
    Your son is should be at school, but you just had a quick flash of information: you see an image of him walking home or you hear an inner voice tell you "He's on his way home". Logic kicks in; Of course he's not coming home, he should be at school. You hear again; "He's on his way home".
    Imagination says yeah and he sure looks funny wearing that clown hat and a red nose and oh my those shoes look more like pink bunny slippers oh that is so funny, I wonder what he'd look like with curly green hair and.....
    Ok, Logic says: "Now that's just outrageous, my son is wearing his uniform and he's at school."
    Intuition says again: "He's on his way home".
    Ego jumps in: "Be quiet! Stop telling her his coming home, how can he be?"
    Intuition says; "He's on his way home".
    Ego says: "Yeah but, he can't be."
    Logic chides in: "Right, I took him to school myself and school is not over til 3 o'clock. It's only 12:30."
    Intuition says: "He's on his way home"
    Imagination butt's in: "Your right, not a clown suit, that's not cool at all, but don't you think that uniform is dull, why not electric blue instead of navy? Yeah, yeah, that would be so cool because you could see him easily at night too and...."
    Ego says: "Now who's going to take the blame if you're wrong? What if she looks bad, what if her hopes are raised for nothing, I mean come on theres no way you can be right because there is no such thing as being psychic! What if she ends up in the funny farm, however can she look good then?"
    Intuition says: "Ok, it's up to you to think what you will, but he's still on his way home."


    Source:http://ezinearticles.com/?Intuition-...tion&id=506342
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,919

    Default

    Intuition and rational thinking go hand-in-hand in life.

  12. #12
    Senior Member remember_Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    3,541

    Default

    Remember the gut feeling you have? The feeling you get when your home phone rings, and you know who the caller could be before you picked up the phone and answer 'Hello'? That is intuition at work. Your tuition can messed up when you're distracted by other issues.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

    I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

  13. #13
    Registered User JamesG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Remember the gut feeling you have? The feeling you get when your home phone rings, and you know who the caller could be before you picked up the phone and answer 'Hello'? That is intuition at work. Your tuition can messed up when you're distracted by other issues.
    In my teens, I used to drive my Dad nuts when I would suddenly get up from watching television and head for the phone just before it rang. I 'knew' one of my buddies was calling me. Sometimes it was real, but most times the time of the call was pre-arranged.
    We worked this both ways.

  14. #14
    Senior Member IPlayWow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."


    The end justify the mean?

  15. #15
    Senior Member mind_wander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    This is a funny example someone wrote about intuition, imagination, ego and logic.

    Example:
    Your son is should be at school, but you just had a quick flash of information: you see an image of him walking home or you hear an inner voice tell you "He's on his way home". Logic kicks in; Of course he's not coming home, he should be at school. You hear again; "He's on his way home".
    Imagination says yeah and he sure looks funny wearing that clown hat and a red nose and oh my those shoes look more like pink bunny slippers oh that is so funny, I wonder what he'd look like with curly green hair and.....
    Ok, Logic says: "Now that's just outrageous, my son is wearing his uniform and he's at school."
    Intuition says again: "He's on his way home".
    Ego jumps in: "Be quiet! Stop telling her his coming home, how can he be?"
    Intuition says; "He's on his way home".
    Ego says: "Yeah but, he can't be."
    Logic chides in: "Right, I took him to school myself and school is not over til 3 o'clock. It's only 12:30."
    Intuition says: "He's on his way home"
    Imagination butt's in: "Your right, not a clown suit, that's not cool at all, but don't you think that uniform is dull, why not electric blue instead of navy? Yeah, yeah, that would be so cool because you could see him easily at night too and...."
    Ego says: "Now who's going to take the blame if you're wrong? What if she looks bad, what if her hopes are raised for nothing, I mean come on theres no way you can be right because there is no such thing as being psychic! What if she ends up in the funny farm, however can she look good then?"
    Intuition says: "Ok, it's up to you to think what you will, but he's still on his way home."


    Source:http://ezinearticles.com/?Intuition-...tion&id=506342
    Thank you for sharing Kidd,it is a good way of putting into perspective.All these work hand in hand it all depends on which goes first.The intuition does pops up randomly,so yeah a give or take.The imagination and ego can is very conflicting at times like a tog-of-war.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Similar Threads

  1. Quote of the Day (Gulong)
    By Ren Wo Xing in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-09, 10:30 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-29-07, 07:09 PM
  3. Strange quote!
    By jactkwn in forum Singapore TV Series
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-05, 09:42 AM
  4. Inserting a quote into a message
    By AnalyticChick in forum Technical Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-15-04, 08:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •