View Poll Results: Which is more annoying in ROCH?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yang Guo constantly whining and crying "Gugu, gugu!"

9 25.71%
  • Guo Fu's childishness, arrogrance and selfish antics

26 74.29%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which is more annoying in ROCH?

Post Which is more annoying in ROCH?

ROCH being a wonderful novel, has its fair share of annoying moments in which we sometimes just want to get away with it and continue on with the storyline without "them".

Which do you feel, between these two, is the most annoying thing in ROCH?

- Yang Guo constantly whining and crying "Gugu, gugu!"

OR

- Guo Fu's childishness, arrogrance and selfish antics
    ..ext88

what about XLN's constant "running away"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    That shits me more than both poll options.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Neither is as pathetic as [Qiu Qianren/Ci'en]'s drama.

"Everybody, look at me, I'm about to lose control; you don't want to miss it! For 16 years I've tried to contain it, but... but... oh wait, I'm ok. No, I'm not. Just kidding, I am. No. Yes. No. Yes. I mean, No. But yes."

Whatever.
    Last edited by PJ; 06-03-08 at 11:55 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

although pertaining to the topic, i don't remember YG going around whining or crying Gugu all that often.

Provoked by HR by the way. She was only trying to do what her naive mind thinks is best for YG. It's not her fault that she was brought up in an ancient tomb and taught to bury her emotions.

As for YG's "constant whining and crying for gugu," I guess I musta read a different version of ROCH... Yeah he loved his gugu a lot, but I wouldn't categorize any of his pining actions as "constant whining and crying."

The Qiu Qianren thing was poor writing on JY's part.

although pertaining to the topic, i don't remember YG going around whining or crying Gugu all that often.
    Well, my theory is that YG haters hate him so much that the hatred has clogged their senses so much that what is really in the novel is not what they remember. They prefer to bash some image they made up in their minds. That is, if they even bothered to read the novels in the first place.
    This account is retired.

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

Guo Fu, oh Guo Fu, if I ever met you in real life, no matter how charming you are, it's better for me if you're dead, else I'll lose my arm.

I hate her. So damn much.

But then, if she's not around, then I'd have less people to hate in ROCH.... which would make things less interesting.
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Neither is as pathetic as [Qiu Qianren/Ci'en]'s drama.

"Everybody, look at me, I'm about to lose control; you don't want to miss it! For 16 years I've tried to contain it, but... but... oh wait, I'm ok. No, I'm not. Just kidding, I am. No. Yes. No. Yes. I mean, No. But yes."

Whatever.
    That one is the one that bugs me. What's the point of all that? It doesn't progress the story at all. It would have been more interesting if Qiu Qanren had committed suicide or been killed when he was at Passionless Valley. But no, he just makes a nuisance of himself and then runs off. And later on becomes a plot contrivance for YG to get the 9-tail foxes so he can become friends with the Shi brothers. Meh.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

guo fu actually made ROCH interesting, but her role is too small. i expected a bigger role for her since she is GJ's daughter.

anyways, XLN constantly running away has got to be the worst (like mentioned above)

but i'll choose yg in those options
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    That one is the one that bugs me. What's the point of all that? It doesn't progress the story at all. It would have been more interesting if Qiu Qanren had committed suicide or been killed when he was at Passionless Valley. But no, he just makes a nuisance of himself and then runs off. And later on becomes a plot contrivance for YG to get the 9-tail foxes so he can become friends with the Shi brothers. Meh.
    Towards the end of ROCH, Jin Yong began to think to himself, "Oh, yeah. I've got a half dozen loose ends left over from LOCH that I haven't resolved. Well, since this is the last time we'll be seeing these characters, I'd better fix up those loose ends now."

Which in principle, at least, was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    Well, my theory is that YG haters hate him so much that the hatred has clogged their senses so much that what is really in the novel is not what they remember. They prefer to bash some image they made up in their minds. That is, if they even bothered to read the novels in the first place.
    Haha, that's what happens when people like me read bits and pieces of the novel, instead of the whole thing.

If only people nowadays remember how many times YG said the word "Gugu" in the novel, would we have a better idea.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    Haha, that's what happens when people like me read bits and pieces of the novel, instead of the whole thing.

If only people nowadays remember how many times YG said the word "Gugu" in the novel, would we have a better idea.
    well, there is a difference between saying "gugu" when he's addressing her and when he's saying "gugu" for pure emotive moods

well, there is a difference between saying "gugu" when he's addressing her and when he's saying "gugu" for pure emotive moods
    Well to please the YG bashers a bit, YG did think of his gugu a lot, every girl he (when young) met reminded him of gugu somehow, so maybe they can get annoyed at him for that.

YG and XLN really went through a lot of adversity as a couple. Far more than any couple deserves.

Anyway, I have yet to encounter a YG basher on SPC who is fair about hating him, i.e. not making up stuff about YG and XLN to fuel their hate. Then again, I only view the wuxia section sporadically (kinda burnt out about wuxia. I used to be at another wuxia forum and discussed a lot about wuxia then) so maybe I just missed one when there was one around. Nothing wrong with hating a character, but at least hate him/her for valid reasons.
    This account is retired.

Nothing wrong with hating a character, but at least hate him/her for valid reasons.
    Isn't "he/she annoys me" valid enough?

That's the thing with annoyances: not all of them have the weight of some universal truth behind them. Why does Janet's biting her nails when she's nervous annoy the hell out of Chrissy, but doesn't bother Jack at all? Goodness knows why! It just is.

From the first time I saw Andy Lau depict Yeung Gor in ROCH '83, the character just rubbed me wrong. What I've learned about the character since hasn't helped me like him much more. What do you want from me? An X+Y = Z mathematical theorem explaining why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

That's the thing with annoyances: not all of them have the weight of some universal truth behind them. Why does Janet's biting her nails when she's nervous annoy the hell out of Chrissy, but doesn't bother Jack at all? Goodness knows why! It just is.

From the first time I saw Andy Lau depict Yeung Gor in ROCH '83, the character just rubbed me wrong. What I've learned about the character since hasn't helped me like him much more. What do you want from me? An X+Y = Z mathematical theorem explaining why?
    relax ken. don't be so self absorbed.
    whoever says flyingfox was pinning at you?

but on topic, if he annoys you simply because he annoys you, then leave it at that. no one has the right or power to force you to think differently.
    but making false excuses such as "he's too whiny"...that's a different story

relax ken.
    No, I *can't* relax. I feel like I've been put upon constantly for WEEKS her and I'm getting fed up with it!

"he's too whiny"...
    If he weren't so whiny, it's likely I wouldn't have disliked him in the first place.

That's fine if that's the extent of the complaint since that is just an expression of subjective displeasure, but how many YG bashers stop their grievances by just saying that?

Like I have said before, there are numerous reasons you can hate on YG, valid reasons that are in the book. I personally don't like the adolescent YG either. There's no need to make up stuff.
    This account is retired.

I personally don't like the adolescent YG either. There's no need to make up stuff.
    You are NOT calling me a liar, are you?

I am so not in the mood for this right now...

No, I *can't* relax. I feel like I've been put upon constantly for WEEKS her and I'm getting fed up with it!
    good thing this was a public poll

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    If he weren't so whiny, it's likely I wouldn't have disliked him in the first place.
    but he wasn't whiny in the first place

You are NOT calling me a liar, are you?

I am so not in the mood for this right now...
    What is wrong with you? I wasn't even addressing you personally.
    This account is retired.