Thread: Why did Wuyazi ask if Elder Kurong attended his chess game?

Default Why did Wuyazi ask if Elder Kurong attended his chess game?

It's strange b/c:

1. Elder Kurong is an old, wise Buddhist monk. Why would he bother with trivial worldly affairs like this? What was Wuyazi thinking?

2. After all, Wuyazi was looking for a young & handsome man to become his heir. Elder Kurong is as far as you can get from this criterion.

3. Even if Elder Kurong solved the chess game, would anyone expect him to obey Wuyazi's upcoming demands?

Someone (or was it me?) had suggested maybe there's some history about Elder Kurong that Wuyazi knows, that we don't know about.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    It's strange b/c:

1. Elder Kurong is an old, wise Buddhist monk. Why would he bother with trivial worldly affairs like this? What was Wuyazi thinking?

2. After all, Wuyazi was looking for a young & handsome man to become his heir. Elder Kurong is as far as you can get from this criterion.

3. Even if Elder Kurong solved the chess game, would anyone expect him to obey Wuyazi's upcoming demands?

Someone (or was it me?) had suggested maybe there's some history about Elder Kurong that Wuyazi knows, that we don't know about.
    Wuyazi was probably worried that the old bugger would turn up and solve the damn chess game. He likely did not want to pass his internal power and sect to some ancient geriatric.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Do you guys think Huang Yaoshi or Kunlun Three Saints He Zudao could have solved the puzzle? These guys were the go geniuses of their time, fully deserving of their reputation.

He Baizi would enjoy trying to solve the puzzle, but although his passion for go surpasses all others, his skill would not be enough.

And would HYS just accept having his inner power destroyed? He has too much pride for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
    Do you guys think Huang Yaoshi or Kunlun Three Saints He Zudao could have solved the puzzle? These guys were the go geniuses of their time, fully deserving of their reputation.
    If taking words literally, no:

若不是虚竹闭上眼睛、随手瞎摆而下出这着大笨棋来,只怕再过一千年,这个“珍珑”也没人能解得 开。

Had Xuzhu not closed his eyes and made a move in random, probably even after 1,000 years this game would not be solved.

HYS lived less than 1,000 years after Xuzhu, so it is implied he's no good.

But yes, I'm sure HYS can solve it.

I wonder if a genius like Huang Yaoshi has ever wondered why Hong Qigong or Ouyang Feng was equal to him in martial arts. Were they more talented physically? Is it because he spent time on poetry and other things? He's so damn arrogant I'm surprised he was more or less content with having not 1, not 2, but 3 equals and a superior.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I wonder if a genius like Huang Yaoshi has ever wondered why Hong Qigong or Ouyang Feng was equal to him in martial arts. Were they more talented physically? Is it because he spent time on poetry and other things? He's so damn arrogant I'm surprised he was more or less content with having not 1, not 2, but 3 equals and a superior.
    He WASN'T content. He had thought he had worked hard and exceeded OYF and H7G for instance in LOCH but it turned out they were equal again.

Yeah but I mean he seemed as not content as any other martial artist would be; I expected him to be even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    It might have something to do with the choices he made.

H7G and Yideng learned MA passed down from others, while HYS created his own. Not sure about OYF. That puts HYS above the other 2 in terms of my respect in this category.

On the other hand, I don't really see HYS being content with solely learning others' MA, which is probably why he went down the other, arguably harder path.
    Last edited by PJ; 08-05-14 at 10:29 PM.

I'm sure that's part of the reason, but I can't help but think that Huang Yaoshi should react more like Lu Fengxian from Dagger Li; being almost devastated that anyone is equal to or superior to him.

He already wins in creativity.

Huang Yaoshi never really gave me the impression that he cared about whether he was the World number 1 or not - he might have trained himself so as to not lose out compared with the others and to be as good as he can be, but I don't think he really intended to challenge the other three for the purpose of gaining some title.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Huang Yaoshi never really gave me the impression that he cared about whether he was the World number 1 or not - he might have trained himself so as to not lose out compared with the others and to be as good as he can be, but I don't think he really intended to challenge the other three for the purpose of gaining some title.
    In LOCH, it was explicitly stated he thought he bested OYF and H7G. I frankly think he cared, at the beginning of LOCH. However, I think as the story progressed and more events transpired (his daughter falling in love, OYF going crazy), I think HYS stopped caring about that number 1 title anymore; as did H7G. As for YD, he saw past it long ago, so no need for any discussion on it.