Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do ethnic Mongolian, Manchurian, and Tibetan readers get annoyed reading Jin Yong?

Default Do ethnic Mongolian, Manchurian, and Tibetan readers get annoyed reading Jin Yong?

Suffice it to say, 99% of Jin Yong's fans are likely Han Chinese, but his novels are likely also read by people in China of Mongolian, Manchurian, or Tibetan descent. I wonder if these readers are ever irked when reading Jin Yong novels that their people are generally depicted as evil characters.

These barbarians can read?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I don't know much about the Manchurian depictions, but I think he dealt with the Mongolians just fine. Genghis Khan, Jebeh, Toulai, and a few others were portrayed somewhat positively, and it's not really JY's fault that decided to conquer the world hundreds of years ago

The Mongolian mercenaries were not even Mongolian, and GWM redeemed himself. Actually, which characters are really bad? There has to be more decent than bad ones now that I think about it.

If anything, he might have had more "bad" Han characters. Pretty much all of HSDS were d-bags, half of SOD were d-bags, LOCH/ROCH barely had any people, and DGSD was pretty unlikeable too.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I don't know much about the Manchurian depictions, but I think he dealt with the Mongolians just fine. Genghis Khan, Jebeh, Toulai, and a few others were portrayed somewhat positively, and it's not really JY's fault that decided to conquer the world hundreds of years ago

The Mongolian mercenaries were not even Mongolian, and GWM redeemed himself. Actually, which characters are really bad? There has to be more decent than bad ones now that I think about it.

If anything, he might have had more "bad" Han characters. Pretty much all of HSDS were d-bags, half of SOD were d-bags, LOCH/ROCH barely had any people, and DGSD was pretty unlikeable too.
    Mongolian *soldiers* were often depicted in a negative light in ROCH and HSDS. They were frequently shown as marauding, murdering, sadistic scum who pillaged and raped with glee. Granted, some of that definitely *did* happen in history, but it wasn't balanced out with more positive depictions of Mongolian soldiers.

Not that Han Chinese soldiers got off easily: they were depicted as being just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Mongolian *soldiers* were often depicted in a negative light in ROCH and HSDS. They were frequently shown as marauding, murdering, sadistic scum who pillaged and raped with glee. Granted, some of that definitely *did* happen in history, but it wasn't balanced out with more positive depictions of Mongolian soldiers.

Not that Han Chinese soldiers got off easily: they were depicted as being just as bad.
    The LOCH/ROCH Mongolians were as neutral as they could be, and arguably they were portrayed more positively than they actually were in history. I can't imagine the honor, courage, and skill shown by Jebeh to be real, and is exaggerated in the positive sense. The pillaging and plundering is natural and not really a negative depiction since that's pretty much what we expect from war at the time.

The HSDS Mongols were certifiably The Bad Guys, and with good reason historically, so I can't imagine people would be too upset by it. There weren't any explicit rape scenes or any gratuitous violence, just the implicit idea that the current ruling government was despotic, and that is tame enough.
    Last edited by tape; 02-11-11 at 01:30 PM.

I think the only hero in Jinyong is Kiew Fung from Demigods Semidevils can represent ethnic Mongolian or Manchurian as hero ,he from Qidan and now some of the his Qidan descendent become Daur , Mongolian ,Nanai, Evenki and even Manchurian blood in them .
    The Tibetan evil in the novel are for modern history and political reason ,maybe because of Dalai Lama who want Tibet split from China since 1951.
    Last edited by galvatron; 02-11-11 at 09:19 PM.

The Khitans must feel proud of Xiao Feng. Oh wait....

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    You should be ashamed of yourself to call people from Mongolia and Tibet as barbarians.
    Shame on you

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    The Khitans must feel proud of Xiao Feng. Oh wait....
    Sadly, I don't think the Khitan ethnicity even exists anymore as a distinct group. Obviously, Mongolians and Manchurians are still around, but the Khitan disappeared as a distinct ethnicity just a few generations after the end of the Liao Empire. Somehow, they interbred with other ethnicities to the point that they stopped being a distinct ethnicity.

What kind of non-sense moderation goes on on this forum? This poster is calling people in China of Mongolian, Manchurian or Tibetan descent as barbarians and her post is still kept? I feel insulted by these kind of posters and the fact that moderators allow this crap to go on. Shame on these people.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    What kind of non-sense moderation goes on on this forum? This poster is calling people in China of Mongolian, Manchurian or Tibetan descent as barbarians and her post is still kept? I feel insulted by these kind of posters and the fact that moderators allow this crap to go on. Shame on these people.
    You guys need a sarcasm detector.

Anyone who's known PJ for any length of time knows he's being facetious; he's poking fun at the way wuxia characters viewed people outside the Central Plains.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    You guys need a sarcasm detector.

Anyone who's known PJ for any length of time knows he's being facetious; he's poking fun at the way wuxia characters viewed people outside the Central Plains.
    Poking fun? You are kidding me right?
    I'm not laughing and I certainly don't find anything funny about his comments about calling them barbarians.
    I would urge you as the moderator to do the right thing and kindly delete that post.
    Such posts dont help.

relax, goodrick. Do you take every word you read literally? If so, you're my new best friend.

relax, goodrick. Do you take every word you read literally? If so, you're my new best friend.
    I urge you to remove your quote. It is not right to call them barbarians. Its not the least bit funny or relevant. Whether you meant what you wrote or not, I sincerely urge you to kindly remove it.

I urge you to remove your quote. It is not right to call them barbarians. Its not the least bit funny or relevant. Whether you meant what you wrote or not, I sincerely urge you to kindly remove it.
    Goodrick, PJ was sarcastically making a light joke in regards to this particular topic.

The Han Chinese during the Song Dynasty and other dynasties referred to Mongols, Khitans, etc as barbarians.

It's all in good humor, and there is no racism going on
    Last edited by Snafu3721; 02-12-11 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    Goodrick, PJ was sarcastically making a light joke in regards to this particular topic.

The Han Chinese during the Song Dynasty and other dynasties referred to Mongols, Khitans, etc as barbarians.

It's all in good humor, and there is no racism going on
    Sorry, it disgusts me to my core and I don't find the comment the least bit humorous.

Sorry, it disgusts me to my core and I don't find the comment the least bit humorous.
    I take it you don't watch Saturday Night Live or any of the late night shows.

My post actually condemns the historical China-centric view that discriminates other ethnic groups.

Look up the definition of "satire".

And learn some common sense.

I take it you don't watch Saturday Night Live or any of the late night shows.

My post actually condemns the historical China-centric view that discriminates other ethnic groups.

Look up the definition of "satire".

And learn some common sense.
    You learn some manners. You are shameless for making racist and totally insensitive comments like that.
    You need to go wash your potty mouth and brain with some soap.
    Last edited by goodrick; 02-12-11 at 03:08 PM.

Have you petitioned to have Jin Yong remove the parts in all his novels where Khitans and Manchurians and Mongolians are called dogs? How could you let this injustice continue. Forget about P.J dear Goodrick. Fight the good fight and tell Jin Yong he's a bigot. I support your grand cause. Don't waste time on petty things like this forum. Go for the big dog.

it's ok goodrick, anyone that have history and well known in this forum for his likeliness to poking fun are excluded for being deleted. and thanks for defending the mongolians, in wuxia forum!