Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forbidden City The City Of Disillusionment (幻滅紫禁城)

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Wallace, Wallace, Wallace!!!
    You do remember that this fanfic is for artistes that I think have been underappreciated or forgotten by the general audience right?
    From the sounds of it, Wallace is way above his game so he doesn't really fit into the criteria of being underappreciated.

So with Wallace being so popular, give the other artistes another chance!
    Last edited by charbydis; 07-31-11 at 07:14 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    You do remember that this fanfic is for artistes that I think have been underappreciated or forgotten by the general audience write? From the sounds of it, Wallace is way above his game so he doesn't really fit into the criteria of being underappreciated.

So with Wallace being so popular, give the other artistes another chance!
    Wallace is only popular in Mainland China. He is less well known in HK. So technically, he's sort of under-appreciated. Won't you give him a chance in your story? There are probably some Chinese fanfics on him, but the poor guy doesn't have any English fanfics on him! Give the guy a chance! (This feels a bit deja vu. A long time ago, I used to go around begging fanfic authors to write about Gilbert Lam. Most people ignored me. ) I'm so sad that you won't put Wallace in your story that I may have to become a hermit and never update my story ever again! That means no more Bluey for you and no more Sit Chung Nam for tweety!

Wallace is only popular in Mainland China. He is less well known in HK. So technically, he's sort of under-appreciated. Won't you give him a chance in your story? There are probably some Chinese fanfics on him, but the poor guy doesn't have any English fanfics on him! Give the guy a chance! (This feels a bit deja vu. A long time ago, I used to go around begging fanfic authors to write about Gilbert Lam. Most people ignored me. ) I'm so sad that you won't put Wallace in your story that I may have to become a hermit and never update my story ever again! That means no more Bluey for you and no more Sit Chung Nam for tweety!
    I would still say no to Wallace in my fanfic because most characters are like 40-60's so not suited by Wallace. You can't have Wallace play someone's dad or granddad. You won't let me cast him as a eunuch which i have lots of roles for. The Yeung brothers have been casted already. Yuen Ho's been casting already. I have an assassin role coming up but I have lined up an awesome actor for him so no Wallace. Everyone else is going to die in one chapter with like one line.

I am not going to cast Wallace in a role that does not compliment him or in a role that he is wrong for. It is disrespectful to him as an artiste and a hard job for me as an author because i don't get the right feeling when writing about the character and it turns out horrible. Plus I think he has a modern face and looks much better in modern or pre-modern. Wallace Huo looks smashing in ancient costume but Wallace looks very modern. Maybe next story if I write a modern one I will include him.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Smile

Wallace looks very modern. Maybe next story if I write a modern one I will include him.
    Ok! You promise, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by sauobeatbath View Post
    It was forbidden for the commoners during ancient times. It is no longer forbidden, just the name has stuck.
    I understand. But you have to admit, whether in chinese or in english, the name sounds cool!
    Cyril Connolly

Ok! You promise, ok?
    No.

I did say maybe. It will be years from now and maybe by then I will be so discouraged from writing after the dismal audience response.
    But If I do, I will try to include Wallace but no promises. I hate empty promises and I hate not carrying out my word so let's be safe and not promise!
    I still am deciding whether I should do the modern one with the secretive family or do an ancient supernatural one like Dark tales. Either way, nothing is concrete yet.
    Let me finish "The Forbidden City" first and then we will see what happens later.

Why don't you go and bug SS? Or even better, get Ken Cheng to cast Wallace in his fanfic!
    Cyril Connolly

I understand. But you have to admit, whether in chinese or in english, the name sounds cool!
    Don't talk to spammers. The spambots are bad.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

No.

I did say maybe. It will be years from now and maybe by then I will be so discouraged from writing after the dismal audience response.
    But If I do, I will try to include Wallace but no promises. I hate empty promises and I hate not carrying out my word so let's be safe and not promise!
    I still am deciding whether I should do the modern one with the secretive family or do an ancient supernatural one like Dark tales. Either way, nothing is concrete yet.
    Let me finish "The Forbidden City" first and then we will see what happens later.

Why don't you go and bug SS? Or even better, get Ken Cheng to cast Wallace in his fanfic!
    "Maybe" is better than a definitive "no." So I'm happy! Thanks, charbydis! Whether your future story is modern or fantasy, I will still read it, partly for the great writing and partly for Wallace Chung.

I don't need to hound SS because she has already volunteered to cast Wallace Chung in her future project as twins! Double dose of Wallace! And I know SS will make the story good! Yay!

You know, Ken is a lot nicer to me than you are. He has already agreed to incorporate Wallace Chung into his new Gundam short story, and I only had to ask him nicely once. I didn't have to beg or wheedle or threaten to spam his thread with Wallace Chung pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Don't talk to spammers. The spambots are bad.
    I was almost fooled like charbydis and thought that was a real comment by a real person! The spambot's comment seemed somewhat appropriate for charby's story thread, so it was no wonder that she thought it was a real reader.

What is up with all the spamming lately? The same spambot left a weird message in the Wallace Chung thread, too.

I was almost fooled like charbydis and thought that was a real comment by a real person! The spambot's comment seemed somewhat appropriate for charby's story thread, so it was no wonder that she thought it was a real reader.

What is up with all the spamming lately? The same spambot left a weird message in the Wallace Chung thread, too.
    What is the point of spamming though?
    Cyril Connolly

Default Book One: The Fist Of Domination (權傾天下)

Chapter Seventeen:

Cast of Appearing Characters:

Yeung Ming Hung Kenneth Ma Kwok Ming
    Siu Kei Chi Sammul Chan Kin Fung
    Eunuch Chan - Yuen Wah

Dawn had broken over the Forbidden City and Yeung Ming Hung was left alone in the room as the girls went about their chores. His shoulder felt much better now after being treated by Yiu So Sum but it stung with pain when it was touched. He could not go back to sleep with the continuous patter of footsteps coming from the stone tiles outside as maids and eunuchs rushed back and forth to serve their mistresses.

The infuriating twittering and chirping of birds gathered in the garden nearly drove him mad as he paced around the room, looking at the map. He had already memorised all the paths and escape routes to and from the Eunuch Administrative Bureau by now, but he still needed to wait till past midnight when the girls returned to break in. The frustration in him built up more the longer he waited as the day never seemed to end.

He opened a gap in the windows and peeked outside. The sun was directly above the garden, casting its warmth down across the courtyards, meaning that it was nearing noon. There was still half a day til he girls came back what was he to do for so many hours?

That was it! he announced to himself silently, Why not sneak outside and use this time to familiarise with the surroundings? After all, reading a map and physically walking the path are totally different experiences! And with that, he got up to the door, waited til the corridor was silent and then quietly slipped outside.

He lowered his head slightly as he walked slowly through the garden, hoping he would not draw unwanted attention from the other eunuchs that were hurrying about. The map said after heading east for a hundred paces, there would be a meandering brick pathway that would lead him outside the Enclosed Palace. Eighty-two, eighty-three, eighty-four he counted his steps in his heart when suddenly, a sharp high-pitched voice drive shivers down his spine.

Hey, you! Stop right there! the male voice shrilled. Yeung Ming Hung froze on the spot. Was the eunuch talking to him? The voice came again, Stop! You lowly servant! and Yeung Ming Hung slowly turned around to face the voice.

A middle-aged eunuch was walking hurriedly towards him with eleven young eunuchs followly close behind in two rows. He was twisting his hips with each step which reminded Yeung Ming Hung strongly of those women you would find gossiping non-stop in the markets. He tried so hard to suppress a smile as the eunuch waved a finger warningly before his face.

Did you not hear me call you so many times? the eunuch scolded, You made me walk all this extra way to chase after you? How tired does that make me? You naughty little eunuch! and he slapped Yeung Ming Hung gently on the arm as a reprimand. Only then did Yeung Ming Hung realised that he was dressed in the eunuch uniform that Yiu So Sum managed to obtain for him just in case someone entered their room and found him there. Cheung Wan Sheung could not stop laughing at seeing him in eunuch uniform until she left the room. It would have been much easier to explain if they found a young eunuch in the maids quarters rather than a man dressed in secretive black attire.

The middle-aged eunuch lifted Yeung Ming Hungs chin and peered close into his face. Are you new here? You call me, mister? From now on, you must address me as Eunuch Chan! Eunuch Chan had a beady set of little eyes accompanied by short thin brows that made him look comical. He had obviously applied a lot of foundation because his lips were bright red and his cheeks dusted a rosy colour. Yeung Ming Hung had to take in a deep breathe to hold down the urge to burst out laughing.

Yes, Eunuch Chan! Yeung Ming Hung quickly corrected himself. I just arrived from the West Palace a few days ago and not familiar with distinguished people of the East Palace like Eunuch Chan! Please forgive me!

The eunuch seemed satisfied at his fake apology. What is your name and which palace are you from?

Um I am Siu Hung Chi from the Palace of Abundant Longevity. I am serving Lady So. he carefully recited as coached by Cheung Wan Sheung. The girls had planned for everything that could go wrong which was fortunate for it was all happening at once right now.

Well, Lady So can wait! cried the eunuch, and grabbing Yeung Ming Hung, he dragged him to the end of the rows of young eunuchs. Come with me now! Chaos has erupted at the Hall of Heavenly Reverence! We must go and clean up this instance! and the eunuch hurried along in a totally different direction to Lau Gans private study.

Yeung Ming Hung wanted to protest but he was afraid of drawing attention so he followed the group with the intention of slipping away unnoticed later on.

The young eunuch beside him pulled gently on his sleeve and whispered, I am from the Palace of Abundant Longevity too! How come I have never seen you before? I thought Wan Sheung served Lady So!

Yeung Ming Hung looked at the young eunuch smiling warmly at him, who had kind eyes with porcelain-like skin. He did not feel threatened but could sense suspicions towards his identity so he decided to bluff his way through. As I said, I just arrived a few days ago to help Sister Wan Sheung out since she is so over-worked. I really havent been anywhere except Lady Sos room. Sister Wan Sheung is afraid I will become lost if I ventured out. Yeung Ming Hungs heart beat rapidly as he had not told as much lies in his entire lifetime when compared to these few minutes.

So I see! the young eunuch nodded understandingly, Well, come and find me if you get into any trouble. I have been here for three years already and I know the palace like the palm of my hand. I serve Lady Kuk! My name is Lau Kei. People around here call me Siu Kei Chi!

Yeung Ming Hung took a deep breath as the topic became less tense. So Siu Kei Chi, where are we heading? What chaos has erupted at the Hall of Heavenly Reverence that Eunuch Chan is so worried about?

Siu Kei Chi leaned close and said in a low voice, Eunuch Chan is an over-reacting disaster. He thinks the sky is falling down every day and creates a commotion out of every single event. A murder of crows have broken into the western corridor outside the Hall of Heavenly Reverence and caused some damage. We just have to clean it all up before someone realises. It is not as if the ministers are going to take a look at that corridor; no one ever uses it except for us eunuchs.

So why us? asked Yeung Ming Hung, Are there not maids and eunuchs assigned at the Hall of Heavenly Reverence who can clean the mess up?

There are, but Supreme Commander Lau has been away from the palace for several days and in his absence, Imperial Court had been cancelled so all the maids and eunuchs have been temporarily assigned to other areas of need. But suddenly this morning, the Emperor called for Imperial Court so we have to get the place spotless.

What? he gasped, The Emperor is going to Court? I heard he never goes?

Even though he lived far away in Gansu, General Yeung Yat Ching found about the lazy new emperor from his friends in Beijing. He had heard that Lau Gan had to force him to attend Imperial Court just after his coronation. For the sluggish Emperor to go to Court of his own free will during Lau Gans absence there must be something serious going on. Yeung Ming Hung could not wait to find out.

-----------------------------------------------
    Author's Note:

I am not sure if everyone has seen Yuen Wah act like a sissy but it is totally hilarious and when I decided to write an eunuch story, I knew I had to fit him in somewhere in the story. However, I need to reiterate that even though eunuchs have lower levels of testosterone, not all act sissy and look feminine. It is all about nurture and what they were exposed to when they were growing up. Get ready to meet some non-effiminate eunuchs in the upcoming few chapters!

BTW, the Hall of Heavenly Reverence is where you see the Emperor hold court in all those Qing dramas. Even though the story is set in the Ming Dynasty, the same hall was used to recieve courtiers and discuss politics. Imperial Court was not held everyday as long as the Emperor felt like it.

Without the Emperor being there, courtiers from different departments were not allowed to congregate in the hall and could not meet privately outside the Imperial Palace to discuss political matters. It was illegal and the courtiers could be charged with conspiracy.
    Cyril Connolly

Feel terrible after work today. In a really bad mood. I have just taken over as the acting head of a department which conflicts with reception staff. The number of receptionists outnumber any other group by at least three so I have to be fighting an ongoing battle until at least March next year. My mood affects my writing so apologies in advance if I don't update for a while.
    Cyril Connolly

Feel terrible after work today. In a really bad mood. I have just taken over as the acting head of a department which conflicts with reception staff. The number of receptionists outnumber any other group by at least three so I have to be fighting an ongoing battle until at least March next year. My mood affects my writing so apologies in advance if I don't update for a while.
    Aww . That's terrible, charby. I guess there are no words of comfort that could help you. I'm too far away to take you out drinking Hang in there for the time being.

I thought you refused Mel's request to add Wallace into this fic? Have you changed your mind and want to torture Mel? Aish, the horror *shivers*

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Aww . That's terrible, charby. I guess there are no words of comfort that could help you. I'm too far away to take you out drinking Hang in there for the time being.

I thought you refused Mel's request to add Wallace into this fic? Have you changed your mind and want to torture Mel? Aish, the horror *shivers*
    Battle continued today at work. I won but everyone is giving me cold stares! Thanks for the hug!

Nah. No Wallace in my fanfic. He doesn't suit the style of characters that I want in here. I actually finished Chapter 68 yesterday so you will still have lots of reading to do until i get back into writing mode! You are still reading right?
    Cyril Connolly

Sorry to hear about all the stress at work . I used to have weekly meetings where management would literally yell at everybody in the team telling us what a horrible job we were all doing. It was so awful and the stress was rapidly affecting my personal life. Thank goodness I got out of that ugly situation. There is always light at the end of the tunnel. Hope you get there soon .

I'm starting on GSS because it is shorter . Will give you my 2 cents after I am done.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Sorry to hear about all the stress at work . I used to have weekly meetings where management would literally yell at everybody in the team telling us what a horrible job we were all doing. It was so awful and the stress was rapidly affecting my personal life. Thank goodness I got out of that ugly situation. There is always light at the end of the tunnel. Hope you get there soon
    Nobody likes management. It's always a balancing act trying to enforce the rules, cut costs, increase efficiency of the work flow, and pretend you're "friends" with the staff. Thank goodness I'm not management. You have my sympathies, charbydis.

Nobody likes management. It's always a balancing act trying to enforce the rules, cut costs, increase efficiency of the work flow, and pretend you're "friends" with the staff. Thank goodness I'm not management. You have my sympathies, charbydis.
    My problem is that the practice manager is a puppet and the true power lies in two other people who gang up. They love praise but put the blame off the others when a problems appears instead of solving it. They get offended by the most normal comments and take everything as a attack on their performance. Whatever I do, whatever I say, it makes no difference. I don't think there is a way around it until I find another job but I promised my boss on maternity that I woudl stay til she returns til March so I will have to see what happens then.
    Cyril Connolly

Chapter Eighteen:

Yeung Ming Hung – Kenneth Ma Kwok Ming
    Siu Kei Chi – Sammul Chan Kin Fung
    Eunuch Chan - Yuen Wah
    Emperor Ching Dak - Matt Yeung Ming
    Kuk Yuen Yau - Lelia Tong Ling
    Tse Chin – Law Lok Lum
    Lau Geen – Kenneth Tsang Kong
    Kuk Him Yu - Lawrence Ng Wai Kwok
    Yau Jui - Lau Kong
    Siu Mo Chi - Ken Lo Wai Kwong

All the eunuchs were horrified when they saw the damage with their own eyes. There were black feathers and droppings all along the corridor, amongst broken shards of what once were valuable vases. The golden curtains and tapestries lining the walls had been ripped to shreds in some parts and pieces of it were stuffed in a tight space between the beams as lining for the crow’s nests. Sticks and pieces of straw were also protruding from the smelly clutter.

“See, I told it was chaotic! If the emperor finds out, my backside will suffer for sure!” muttered Eunuch Chan nervously as he ordered the eunuchs to work. Some maids had brought in fresh curtains and tapestry and had already begun to hang them up. Yeung Ming Hung and Siu Kei Chi climbed up the ladders to unclog the clutter from the beams and they nearly fainted when the nasty odour hit them.

“What on earth is this? This stinks to the high heavens!” cried Yeung Ming Hung desperately trying to hold back his vomit, as he picked up a stick and analysed the mess the birds left behind.

“Don’t look!” warned Siu Kei Chi as he cupped one hand over his nose and quickly used a stick to push the putrid matter off the beam and onto the floor. Yeung Ming Hung quickly followed suit and the beams were soon clear. Soon, Yeung Ming Hung was wiping the engraved wooden beams while Siu Kei Chi got down on his knees and mopped the length of the corridor. Everyone else was nearly finished when Eunuch Chan rushed inside all flustered, shouting as loudly as he could in a soft voice, “Everyone freeze and be quiet! The Ministers are entering the hall! Don’t let anyone know we are here!”

The four rows of ministers came striding into the hall into position and their synchronised footsteps could be with each clunk on the tiled floors. Yeung Ming Hung was still on his ladder and peeking through the gaps of the engraved beams across the ceiling, he had a clear view of the whole hall. It was larger than what he has expected it to be – it could at least hold three hundred men. The tall walls were painted crimson and decorated with stone engravings of dragons and other auspicious creatures. The royal platform was to the far inner end of the room, upon which the gleaming throne sculpted entirely of supreme hardwood was placed.

Suddenly, an old voice announced, “The Emperor and Lady Kuk arrives!” Yeung Ming Hung watched with interest as a handsome youth dressed in golden embroidered robes entered the hall and smiled mischievously at the group kneeling men at his feet. He plopped himself down upon the Dragon throne as a beautiful elegant woman seated quietly by his side with a look of uneasiness in her eyes.

The Emperor found it a fantastic idea to bring a concubine to the Imperial Court because no one in the history of the Ming Dynasty had ever tried it before. Kuk Yuen Yau did not want to come, but the Emperor made her accompany him. He said, “I need to prove that I carry out my promise to you. And what better way to prove my word than for you to watch me yell at them!”

The Emperor smiled playfully and announced in a loud voice, “My Ministers! It has been brought to my attention that a great miscarriage of justice has occurred concerning Head Minister of Revenue Yuen Mo Kei and his family. How can I let you run my country when you allow innocent people to be arrested without trial? Answer me! Who is in charge?” and he slapped his palm loudly on the side of his throne in a sudden anger.

All the ministers quickly kneeled down in alarm but Kuk Yuen Yau nodded reassuringly at her father who shuffled forwards on his knees and reported, “Please calm your anger, Your Majesty! The Grand Secretariat has repeatedly requested for the release of Minister Yuen and his family but the matter is out of our hands as the Eastern Faction claims jurisdiction
    over this case and has refused their release.”

The Emperor leaned forward and eyed them one by one with suspicion. “Who dares refuse the release of my relatives?” The members of the Grand Secretariat looked at one and other silently and decided to take this golden opportunity to attack Lau Gan before the Emperor while he was absent.

Tse Chin shuffled forwards and reported, “Your Majesty. It was Supreme Commander Eunuch, Lau Gan who refused their release.”

Lau Geen added, “Your Majesty, we once enquired about the alleged charges of the Yuen family but Supreme Commander Lau had refused to divulge details of the case with us or allow joint interrogation of the Yuen family with the Ministry of Justice.”

“It is true, your Majesty!” joined Kum Him Yu. “This case has totally skipped due process for the arrest of senior officials. Please give Minster Yuen and his family the justice that they deserve!”

And as if in a chorus, they recited all together whilst lowering their foreheads onto the floor, “May our Emperor’s wisdom take precedence to grant justice to the Yuen family and allow their release!”

The Emperor was shocked by their response. “Lau… Lau Gan?” he stammered, “If Lau Gan has already passed judgment over this case, then maybe we should wait for him to return before we do anything more…” and his voice trailed off. It was no secret that Lau Gan kept a tight hold over the young Emperor in all matters. But no one expected him to be this hesitant.

Kuk Yuen Yau turned to him and whispered in a low voice, “Remember you gave me your word! Is the word of the almighty Emperor not greater than the word of a eunuch?”

The Emperor seemed highly embarrassed when he heard those words. After all, he was the Mandate of Heaven and ruler of everything in the world. Why could he not overrule the word of Lau Gan, who was just one of his servants? Is an Emperor not more powerful than a eunuch? After all, Lau Gan was not here at the moment.

With a burst of confidence, he ordered, “Then call whoever is in charge of the Eastern Faction to come into my presence!”

“That will be Yau Jui, your Majesty!” reminded the old eunuch at his side, and who then in a loud voice announced, “Retrieve Head Commander of Eastern Faction, Yau Jui!” The command was repeated along the corridor by many eunuchs like an echo and soon, the elderly eunuch Yau Jui was brought into the hall. Kuk Yuen Yau recognised him from their previous meeting when the emperor callously smashed a bowl at him.

“Yau Jui!” hollered the Emperor before the old eunuch could talk, “How dare you keep my beloved concubine’s family in chains? Does the Eastern Faction dare to anger me? Release them at once and organise for a fair and open trial!”

Yau Jui was on his knees and replied, “Please calm your anger, Your Majesty! It was under Supreme Commander Lau’s order that I had to act. I had absolutely no say in the entire matter. But if you wish, I will get them released immediately to appease your anger!” and with that he waved his hand at his attendant that had followed him but had remained outside the door. Once he saw the hand signal, he left hurriedly.

“Siu Mo Chi has now gone to send my order to release the Yuen family and bring them here, Your Majesty!”

The Emperor nodded in approval and boasted to Kuk Yuen Yau in a whisper, “Do am I not authoritative today, my dove? See how much I honour my word! Are you not proud to be my concubine?”

Kuk Yuen Yau smiled at him in gratitude and replied, “Of course you are. But I think the ministers have been kneeling long enough. You Majesty could further show your unmatched compassion if you allowed them to stand.” And The Emperor obediently gave the order.

The ministers thanked him in unison as they rose from their knees and silently congratulated themselves on this small victory. The Yuen family would be stepping out of their cells at this very moment, and together they could organise a joint disparagement of Lau Gan before the Emperor. For many months, Lau Gan and his lackeys were free to do whatever they wished without obstruction from the Court. Now that the Emperor was in charge again, maybe things would start to change and go back to normal.

Yeung Ming Hung smiled at the outcome. The Emperor was not as bad as it was rumoured. He was no doubt indecisive but he was still young and immature. Maybe if he became a stronger ruler with age, then Lau Gan and his gang would have no place in politics at all.

Suddenly, he heard Siu Kei Chi whisper, “Look, Siu Mo Chi is back already! But he is alone!”

Siu Mo Chi collapsed into his knees just outside the hall as he dared not enter without being summoned. He was breaking out in sweat and was gasping for breath. He must have run all the way to and from his destination.

“Your Majesty, please spare my life!” he spluttered between bowing his head, “The Yuen family have been secretly transferred away from the Eastern Faction Headquarters early this morning! I do not know where they are now!”

All eyes were on Yau Jui whose face was ashen with disbelief. “I….I… do not know how this happened! Seriously! I do not know anything about it!”

The Emperor was furious. “You are the Commander of Eastern Faction! How can you not know what goes on in your Headquarters?” Yau Jui was speechless.

Calling out to Siu Mo Chi, “Who ordered their transfer?”

Before Siu Mo Chi could answer, a cold powerful voice travelled from outside the Hall of Heavenly Reverence and echoed between the solid walls. “It was me.”

Author's Note:

Everyone ready for Lau Gan's appearance?
    Last edited by charbydis; 07-31-11 at 02:02 AM.
    Cyril Connolly

Chapter Nineteen:

Lau Gan - Gilbert Lam Wai Sun
    Yeung Ming Hung Kenneth Ma Kwok Ming
    Siu Kei Chi Sammul Chan Kin Fung
    Eunuch Chan - Yuen Wah
    Emperor Ching Dak - Matt Yeung Ming
    Kuk Yuen Yau - Lelia Tong Ling
    Tse Chin Law Lok Lum
    Lau Geen Kenneth Tsang Kong
    Kuk Him Yu - Lawrence Ng Wai Kwok
    Yau Jui - Lau Kong
    Siu Mo Chi - Ken Lo Wai Kwong

Kuk Yuen Yau did not understand why those simple words had caused the whole Imperial Court to suddenly freeze with terror. The Emperor had gripped the sides of his throne firmly with his sweaty hands whilst his eyes travelled wildly across the great hall as if looking for a hiding spot to dive into. The ministers looked at one another with horror and the colour was draining out of their faces as if they had just seen a ghost. No one dared say a word as all eyes were converged at the doors.

Meanwhile, Yeung Ming Hung was distracted by the distinct sound of footsteps that were now climbing the long marble steps to enter the hall. A normal person walking on the marble steps would be soft and impossible to hear at such a distance. But these footsteps were loud, meaning that the owner was trained in martial arts. However, that was not all that he could tell. Barely audible even to his trained ear, Yeung Ming Hung picked a gentle resonance the thud of each step. His uncle had warned him about opponents whose footsteps sounded like this either the person has advanced Lightness Skill or even better cultivated internal energy. Worse of all, it could be both.

The Hall of Reverence was filled with tension as the footsteps seemed to be getting closer. Their hearts almost jumped out from their mouths as the loud voice of the announcer suddenly interrupted the deadly silence. Supreme Commander Eunuch Lau enters the Hall!

A male figure entered the Hall through the front entrance. Yeung Ming Hung watched him closely. The tall man had a slim build and dressed entirely in black eunuch uniform with a ferocious embroidered python at his chest, he carried himself with confidence as he steadily approached the Dragon Throne. The rim of his tall black hat was embellished with a golden border, signifying his high status. He was no doubt the owner of the strange footsteps and when he saw all the ministers slide down onto their knees as he passed, Yeung Ming Hung was certain that this man was no other than his deadly enemy Lau Gan.

Yeung Ming Hungs eyes flashed with fury as his hand slowly reached for his dagger which was hidden inside his boot. Here was the monster that had caused so much anguish and turmoil to the people as long as Lau Gan no longer existed the world would be a much better place. If he leapt out now and took Lau Gan by surprise, he might be able to make one fatal stab into his heart before the Imperial Guards converged on him.

But as Yeung Ming Hung slowly channelled his internal energy around his body ready to attack, his injured shoulder felt a scorching pain and he knew that his wound has burst open. This injury would slow him down in his attack and his chances of a successful assassination would be greatly diminished. Any attack at this stage would be futile and worthless. Reluctantly, he withdrew his hand from his ankle and cast out the assassination plot out of his mind. As long as he lived, there was always another chance.

Lau Gan did not even take a single glance at the bewildered ministers as he passed by. There was no expression on his face that made the ministers even more fearful since they could not tell his thoughts and emotions. Lau Gan strode self-assuredly up until the royal platform, where he kneeled on one knee and then lowered his head. Greetings of Longevity to Your Majesty!

Lau Gan did not mind kneeling before the Emperor it was just an outward formality. He knew, and most of the people in the hall knew - there was no sincerity in this routine at all and his words of respect were empty and meaningless. But yet, out of all people, the Emperor chose to believe them.

Rise, my loyal subjects! ordered the Emperor, now more at ease, said to Lau Gan, When did you return to the Imperial Palace? How come I was not informed?

Lau Gan explained, I returned to the Imperial Palace last night but did not wish to disturb Your Majestys banquet so I retired to my study to review important official documents all night. Not many people were aware of my return. He glanced down at Yau Jui who was still on his knees and the sides of his lips curved up into a sinister smile. A bead of cold sweat dripped from Yau Juis forehead.

So I understand that Your Majesty has been enquiring about Yuen Mo Kei and his family? he suddenly asked.

Um.. yes.. replied the Emperor with uncertainty, I was umjust ordering their release when you had transferred them elsewhere.

Tse Chin then bravely interrupted, Lau Gan, how dare you remove prisoners that the Emperor wants released? What authority do you have to do that? What do you have to say for yourself?

Lau Gan spun around and looked him in the eye. I ordered their transfer early this morning before the Emperor gave the order for their release so please ignore my ignorance. Furthermore, the Yuen family is under the jurisdiction of the Eastern Faction and I am the Supreme Commander Eunuch of the entire Imperial Palace. Who else within the Eastern Faction do you expect me to get authority from? Should I submit the paperwork to myself and request my own permission first? Or should I interrupt the Emperors mood in the midst of his entertainment for such a mere matter? Sarcasm was hinted at every sentence.

Tse Chin swiftly rebutted. A mere matter? Yuen Mo Kei and his clan are distinctive members of the Imperial Court, pillars of society. Even if you do not want to share authority of their case with the Ministry of Justice, at least give them a speedy trial for their allegations. But you seem to enjoy keeping them under lock and key and delaying their release! What hidden motives do you have to have the Yuen family imprisoned?

What would I personally gain from keeping those men in confinement? asked Lau Gan indignantly, It is my duty to guarantee that these criminals are dealt with thoroughly so they confess their crimes. As you say, they are highly regarded in Imperial Court which makes their cases even more sensitive and difficult to rule! The Eastern Faction is not an idle organisation. We are overworked and have many other things to attend to.

Kuk Him Yu quickly exclaimed, In that case, the Ministry of Justice would be most willing to take over this challenging case and relieve the Eastern Factions burden.

How thoughtful of you to propose such an offer, but I am afraid it is unnecessary. I have already made arrangements to mitigate the workload of the Eastern Faction! declared Lau Gan confidently. As of this morning, I have decided to reinstate the abolished Western Faction to increase greater efficiently of our important work. From now on, the Yuen family case would now be passed onto the authority of the Western Faction and no longer have ties to the Eastern Faction.

The ministers gasped in surprise. The Western Faction was an even larger secret organization than the Eastern Faction and held more independent power. It was originally created during the reign of Emperor Shing Fa, but later abolished due to its mistreatment of peasants it interrogated. To reinstate the Western Faction now would mean doubling the amount of trepidation and unrest amongst the peasants that was already caused by the existence of the Eastern Faction.

At this point, the old minister Lau Geen spoke up. Your Majesty, what are your views on this matter? Do you really want to resurrect the horrors of the Western Faction from the past along with the complaints and objection from the people? I beg your Majesty to seriously consider objecting to this movement. Think of your subjects, Your Majesty!

With the Emperors infinite wisdom, I believe he will be able to take into account the disorder instigated when numerous traitors and conspirators lurk in every street to plot against the Great Ming Empire. threatened Lau Gan.

Tse Chin recited calmly, Violence only breeds violence. Only compassion and mercy are the foundations to a stable and peaceful nation.

But Lau Gan quickly retorted. Compassion and mercy are long-term solutions but cannot control the unrest that is presently plaguing our nation. Nothing will be more effective at restraining their rebellious hearts than fear and control. The more intelligence we gain from the Factions work, the more easily we would be able to stop the traitors before they do some everlasting damage. The temporary inconvenience of the people will benefit the greater future. I am sure the Emperor will understand the urgency of the matter!

All this time, the Emperor had not managed to say a single word through this debate. He had not a clue on what the arguments were about and he dared not say a thing without approval from Lau Gan. All the previous self-confidence and superiority that was present had evaporated instantly the moment Lau Gan entered into the hall. Who was the master and who was the servant? Who was the puppet-master and who was the puppet? It was a dismal sight for all to see.

Author's Note:

So Lau Gan has finally appeared.
    My image of a powerful eunuch has been very different to that portrayed on TV in the past. I feel that to assert authority, there is no need to shout, holler and wave your arms about like an raving lunatic. I do find that the more calm and reserve a person is, the less confident the enemy will feel because there is no way of anticipating their thoughts and moves. I hope to show the influence of Lau Gan on other characters through the following chapters as well.
    Cyril Connolly

OMG, Gilbert got the role of an eunuch?! A powerful, authoritative, and cool eunuch, but still a eunuch no less. I don't know what to say .