Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forbidden City The City Of Disillusionment (幻滅紫禁城)

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    OMG, Gilbert got the role of an eunuch?! A powerful, authoritative, and cool eunuch, but still a eunuch no less. I don't know what to say .

Hey, I thought you said you were going to start reading at the end of the year?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post

Hey, I thought you said you were going to start reading at the end of the year?
    I love spoilers, so I peeked

I love spoilers, so I peeked
    Shhhhh! Dont tell Mel! I want to see her reaction! She might vomit blood!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Now that the shock factor has worn off, I can kinda see Gilbert in the role. For ex, Donnie Yen made a very badass eunuch in The Dragon Gate Inn, so it's not technically a bad thing

Now that the shock factor has worn off, I can kinda see Gilbert in the role. For ex, Donnie Yen made a very badass eunuch in The Dragon Gate Inn, so it's not technically a bad thing

I had to decide a very long time on who to take on the role of Lau Gan. I had to basically seive through all HK actors and end with up being Gilbert most suitable in my mind. Other candidates were Lawrence Yan, Adam Cheng and Kwong Wah. I need an actor who looks debonair, exacts coldness, and not be too macho nor too effeminate. I need an actor who will make the audience immediately go "Wow! What a waste of genes!" He actually fits my profile perfectly. As the story moves along, you will see why I had to choose Gilbert and not others.

Thanks for your support, tweety! Start reading soon!
    Last edited by charbydis; 08-13-11 at 11:08 AM.
    Cyril Connolly

OMG! OMG! OMG!!! I read tweety's spoiler message and hurriedly scanned through the cast list of the latest chapter to confirm my fears! Although I totally agree that Gilbert Lam would be able to pull off such an important and challenging role, I still refuse to see him as a eunuch, powerful or not!

LOL, Mel, think of the big picture. Gilbert is given a once in a lifetime role .
    Charby, does Lau Gan have a love interest in the story?

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    OMG! OMG! OMG!!! I read tweety's spoiler message and hurriedly scanned through the cast list of the latest chapter to confirm my fears! Although I totally agree that Gilbert Lam would be able to pull off such an important and challenging role, I still refuse to see him as a eunuch, powerful or not!
    Hey! How boring would it be for Gilbert to play two similar goody-two-shoes characters in two different fanfics that run at the same time?

I feel that only the best actors can take on such challenging roles. Seriously, I have to say I am very sick and tired of Gilbert being stuck in the same roles over and over again. He has not had any breakthroughs since Yelut Ho Nam. That is why people forget about him even though he is ! My parents actually hate him!

I think to fully appreciate an actor, you have to dissociate the character from the actor and any previous roles and enjoy the performance, no matter how unpopular the character is. He is an actor and not a model. He is more than just his face. I think Gilbert is capable to take on any hero or swordman role with ease. But I want to give him a challenging role that utilises him in all areas of acting - speech, emotion, expression and poise. Especially in here where I am trying to educate the audience that eunuchs are not all weirdos as portrayed on TV but are normal people forced into a cruel fate.
    Cyril Connolly

LOL, Mel, think of the big picture. Gilbert is given a once in a lifetime role .
    Charby, does Lau Gan have a love interest in the story?
    Do you mind if the love interest is a guy?
    Cyril Connolly

Smile

Ok, will Lau Dan be effeminate? Because I totally do not want to imagine my Gilbert effeminate! I know eunuchs castrated after the onset of puberty will retain their deep voices and masculine musculature and strength (even though there is some decrease in muscle mass). I know Gilbert can excel in such a challenging role, but I don't think my heart can take such a shock. I'm already hyperventilating thinking of Gilbert as a eunuch. I think, if given a choice, I would prefer my goody two shoes Yik Lun with all male parts intact to the cool but minus a few important family jewels Lau Gan.

I have no comment on the male love interest comment made by charbydis.

Ok, will Lau Dan be effeminate? Because I totally do not want to imagine my Gilbert effeminate! I know eunuchs castrated after the onset of puberty will retain their deep voices and masculine musculature and strength (even though there is some decrease in muscle mass). I know Gilbert can excel in such a challenging role, but I don't think my heart can take such a shock. I'm already hyperventilating thinking of Gilbert as a eunuch. I think, if given a choice, I would prefer my goody two shoes Yik Lun with all male parts intact to the cool but minus a few important family jewels Lau Gan.

I have no comment on the male love interest comment made by charbydis.
    Just read the story!
    Cyril Connolly

Ok, will Lau Dan be effeminate?
    How did he get in the conversation about eunuchs?

In that case, I would say for you to ask Hawick Lau! I have no comment!
    Cyril Connolly

How did he get in the conversation about eunuchs?

In that case, I would say for you to ask Hawick Lau! I have no comment!
    Oops, sorry, everyone. My mistake. I guess I was thinking of the Old Man in my story and the names Lau Dan and Lau Gan are so similar that I mistyped.

Speaking of Hawick Lau, now that I know he's Lau Dan's son, I am beginning to see more and more similarities. Hawick is pretty handsome.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://thm-a04.yimg.com/nimage/c748133d241e9fd4')

Someone is not happy with Mel!
    Cyril Connolly

Smile

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://thm-a04.yimg.com/nimage/c748133d241e9fd4')

Someone is not happy with Mel!

Hey, I just skipped to the part of Lau Gan's grand entrance and I love it! I can totally imagine Gilbert in such a calm, steely role. Lau Gan reminds me a lot of Yelut Honam, so when I read about Lau Gan, I imagine Honam's composure under pressure, his cold-eyed stare, and his cruel laugh. Nice job, charby.

Hey, I just skipped to the part of Lau Gan's grand entrance and I love it! I can totally imagine Gilbert in such a calm, steely role. Lau Gan reminds me a lot of Yelut Honam, so when I read about Lau Gan, I imagine Honam's composure under pressure, his cold-eyed stare, and his cruel laugh. Nice job, charby.

If you had been reading the story, you would have realised that Lau Gan actually pops in and out in scenes starting from Chapter 2!
    Why doesn't anyone pay attention to poor Kenneth or Sammul?
    Cyril Connolly

I happen to really like Sammul. He's very handsome in a clean cut way. The nice guy you want to befriend. However, he's lacking the hotness factor of a bad boy.

Watching him in Rose Martial World with SFF, I kept thinking that she would have been much happier with Sammul's character, who loved her so very much. In reality, I would definitely pick Sammul's character as opposed to Wallace's character.

Smile

I happen to really like Sammul. He's very handsome in a clean cut way. The nice guy you want to befriend. However, he's lacking the hotness factor of a bad boy.
    Agree! Sammul's a nice guy, but that's all he is to me. He's the nice guy I would wave and smile kindly at, whereas Wallace Chung would be the guy I would pretend to ignore (even though I'm really interested) and see if he would make the first move. If he doesn't make the first move, then I would sigh inwardly with disappointment and move on to the next hot guy.

Watching him in Rose Martial World with SFF, I kept thinking that she would have been much happier with Sammul's character, who loved her so very much. In reality, I would definitely pick Sammul's character as opposed to Wallace's character.
    Yes, logically, SFF's Si Ru should have picked Sammul's character. But the grass was greener to her on the other side of the fence. Besides, if she did not feel any sexual attraction at all for Sammul's character, then no matter how nice he was to her, the relationship just wouldn't work out. We all want a loving, adoring boyfriend/husband, but if there's truly no sexual and romantic chemistry whatsoever, then the relationship is doomed no matter how loving and adoring he is.

I loved Sammul as the good guy in Schemes of a Beauty! No one loves Sammul!
    Cyril Connolly