Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Flaming Brothers (1999)

  1. #21
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I don't like movies with sad endings where everyone dies. That's why it was hard for me to finish breaking point or the greed of man.
    Well, I just started watching Adam Cheng's "The Final Verdict" again and it is heartbreaking.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  2. #22
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    ah I have never seen this. So I'm guessing it has a sad ending.

    btw do you know the name of the actress who plays Stephan's girlfriend? I think she's pretty good but don't see her in any big roles either.

  3. #23
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    ah I have never seen this. So I'm guessing it has a sad ending.

    btw do you know the name of the actress who plays Stephan's girlfriend? I think she's pretty good but don't see her in any big roles either.
    Wong Oi Yiu. She is quite versatile and I think she is quite pretty. She played Yeung Bat Mui in HOTY and Lawrence's wife in 'The Swordsman". She married some other actor from ATV.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  4. #24
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Thanks, I like her and I do remember her playing Lawrence wife in swordsman. Very tragic character. Not sure if Lawrence really love her since he was obsess with Erica's character. Did she play the stepmom in fated love? I cannot remember.

  5. #25
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Thanks, I like her and I do remember her playing Lawrence wife in swordsman. Very tragic character. Not sure if Lawrence really love her since he was obsess with Erica's character. Did she play the stepmom in fated love? I cannot remember.
    I don't remember much about "Fated love" except that I hated it.

    In "The Swordman", I don't think he loved her or was obsessed about her, but he did like her as she genuinely cared for him but still, she was not important enough to not sacrifice. He did feel bad about it. The series is based on "Meteor, Butterfly, Sword" by Gu Long, where the character who Chor Gong Nam is based on has no feelings for his wife and used her rape and murder as a tool for him. Crazy guy.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  6. #26
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    I thought fated love started out okay, I don't really much about it. I do like steve and amy as an onscreen couple but I felt really bad for carrie ng's character here. It would be a different story if she was the jealous type and went out of her way to hurt amy's character but I think she was nice and gave back the necklace that had a lot of value to amy's family.

    As for swordsman, I didn't understand why he was married when chor gong nam was only in love or obsess with mok sau.

    Speaking of wong oiu yiu, is she in light of a million hopes? Just saw 1st two episodes. Seems like a very sad drama.

  7. #27
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    As for swordsman, I didn't understand why he was married when chor gong nam was only in love or obsess with mok sau.
    Was it for political reasons? He didn't want Mo Sau's dad to think he was ambitious by wanting to marry his daughter, so to relieve the dad's suspicions, he married another woman (after raping Mo Sau and getting her pregnant ).

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Speaking of wong oiu yiu, is she in light of a million hopes? Just saw 1st two episodes. Seems like a very sad drama.
    She was in LOMH. She is only a minor character that pops up every now and then. I think LOMH is a good series. It is very sad, especially when it comes to Joey's character.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  8. #28
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Was it for political reasons? He didn't want Mo Sau's dad to think he was ambitious by wanting to marry his daughter, so to relieve the dad's suspicions, he married another woman (after raping Mo Sau and getting her pregnant ).



    She was in LOMH. She is only a minor character that pops up every now and then. I think LOMH is a good series. It is very sad, especially when it comes to Joey's character.

    hmmm it would make sense, at first I did not know he was the guy there hiding by the rock and then came out and kill the guy raping his wife.

    As for LOMH, so far so good, very good cast =)

  9. #29
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Gosh. We've gone totally off topic!

    Back to "Flaming Brothers", what happened to Kenneth's character? Why did Kathy dump him? Its like he just stopped out of the story with no explanation.

    I'll see you in the LOMH thread later on when you get further in the series. Watch out for Ruco.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Gosh. We've gone totally off topic!

    Back to "Flaming Brothers", what happened to Kenneth's character? Why did Kathy dump him? Its like he just stopped out of the story with no explanation.

    I'll see you in the LOMH thread later on when you get further in the series. Watch out for Ruco.
    lol I think we start going off topic on every thread, I guess I should have just mention light of a million hopes in the old tvb/atv thread....


    As for Kenneth's character, we see him as a bad man in the beginning. I think a girl was rape and he twisted the story around and made the girl look really bad when she was a victim. He told Kathy's character that he had to do it because he needs to give his ex wife money so that he can have full custody of their daughter. He went on the say the ex wife had mental issues. But later Kathy found out that it was not true. He actually took all the ex wife money then forced her to sign the divorce paper or he would kill the baby.

    Was the ex wife play by Karen Chan? She looks very familiar.

    But I haven't gone that far into the series yet since I keep skipping around when I watch series

  11. #31
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    lol I think we start going off topic on every thread, I guess I should have just mention light of a million hopes in the old tvb/atv thread....


    As for Kenneth's character, we see him as a bad man in the beginning. I think a girl was rape and he twisted the story around and made the girl look really bad when she was a victim. He told Kathy's character that he had to do it because he needs to give his ex wife money so that he can have full custody of their daughter. He went on the say the ex wife had mental issues. But later Kathy found out that it was not true. He actually took all the ex wife money then forced her to sign the divorce paper or he would kill the baby.

    Was the ex wife play by Karen Chan? She looks very familiar.

    But I haven't gone that far into the series yet since I keep skipping around when I watch series
    Really? Then he's a jerk! Who gave a jerk role to Kenneth? Who's Karen Chan?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  12. #32
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    lol... but if you think about it, he always played jerk roles or villians in tvb series. His character was really annoying in detective file investigation as kenix bf in the beginning... But I do feel bad for him because Kenix left him for Michael.

    But yes, he was given a jerk role in flaming brothers, maybe because they put Patrick and Michael as lead. But he sounds very convincing making the ex sound bad and have psychological problems. But Michael showed that Kenneth is really a bad person.

    Karen Chan was the girl who was in love with Eric wan's character in Lady Stealer. I haven't seen her in other series.... Somewhat reminds me of Marianne Chan.

  13. #33
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    6,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    But yes, he was given a jerk role in flaming brothers, maybe because they put Patrick and Michael as lead. But he sounds very convincing making the ex sound bad and have psychological problems. But Michael showed that Kenneth is really a bad person.
    But Michael was a jerk as well.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  14. #34
    Senior Member Nan Ling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Yes, his character seems like such a jerk as well, but surprisingly he fell for Kathy's character. Do you think at first he just wanted to win as Kathy says, just wants to get what he wants so that he wins and then leave her after?

Similar Threads

  1. Moments of Endearment (1999)
    By Suet Seung in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-10, 09:55 PM
  2. Twin of Brothers
    By tvbtoday in forum Wuxia Translations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-08, 06:59 AM
  3. Brothers 兄弟
    By yuenwooping in forum Movies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-07, 05:55 AM
  4. LWLP vs Twin of Brothers...
    By i_fotted in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 03-24-06, 02:57 PM
  5. 3 brothers vs. 3 brothers
    By Dirt in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 12-02-04, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •