Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flaming Brothers (1999)

Default Flaming Brothers (1999)

Staring Michael Tao, Patrick Tam, Deannie Yip, Kathy Chow, and Kristy Yeung.

From other forums I've read that Kathy's onscreen appearance was cut short due to her skin allergies at the time of filming. In many scenes, we either see a very close up shot of her or we see her back. I was wondering if her scenes weren't cut, would the scriptwriter have to kill her character off to let Michael go through a big transformation from bad to good? Would Michael have ended up w/ Kathy instead of Kristy? Or did the scriptwriter had the intentionally of cutting Kathy's character out since the beginning? Otherwise, because Kristy would have more scenes than Kathy, making her the lead actress instead.

When this series was airing back then I do recall people saying Kathy was very sick and half the time, it was not her and that they had to make the face very blurry. I always did wonder if that was why her character was killed off as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Liling View Post
    Staring Michael Tao, Patrick Tam, Deannie Yip, Kathy Chow, and Kristy Yeung.

From other forums I've read that Kathy's onscreen appearance was cut short due to her skin allergies at the time of filming. In many scenes, we either see a very close up shot of her or we see her back. I was wondering if her scenes weren't cut, would the scriptwriter have to kill her character off to let Michael go through a big transformation from bad to good? Would Michael have ended up w/ Kathy instead of Kristy? Or did the scriptwriter had the intentionally of cutting Kathy's character out since the beginning? Otherwise, because Kristy would have more scenes than Kathy, making her the lead actress instead.
    Kathy was supposed to live for longer, but then Kristy eventually became involved with Michael. But because of Kathy's lupus attack, the storyline remains somewhat the same but was just brought forward.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Wong Mei and Annie Man had a very minor role here. I really didn't remember Stephan Au being in this series back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Wong Mei and Annie Man had a very minor role here. I really didn't remember Stephan Au being in this series back then.
    Yeah. Wong mei and Annie fought over a guy (again). It was Annie's last role in ATV before she moved over to TVB. Stephen was everywhere in ATV series back in the 1990's. I just saw him as one of the Thai kickboxers in "Fist of Fury".
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

It seems like Wong Mei gets little roles and usually takes someone else guy. So sad.... Ah I didn't know it was Annie's last role. Seem like she was doing well with tvb in the beginning.

The only lead role with stehan Au is a lawyer can be good. Seems like he is move around a lot. I just realize he was also in noble conflict but I feel he had a tragic end with Tiffany liu.

In Flaming Brothers I kind of prefer Patricks character more... but if I recall correctly, he turns bad or something...

The only lead role with stehan Au is a lawyer can be good. Seems like he is move around a lot. I just realize he was also in noble conflict but I feel he had a tragic end with Tiffany liu.

In Flaming Brothers I kind of prefer Patricks character more... but if I recall correctly, he turns bad or something...
    "Noble Conflict" could have been great but somehow ended up being bland and uninteresting. The love story was very irritating and draggy. I almost wanted the evil prince, Edward Mok, to win because the two just went on and on and on. And Erica had horrible acting in there.

In "Flaming Brothers I", I think Patrick has the better character to start off with and Michael was an annoying prick. I did feel sorry for Michael after he truly regretted and was disgusted with Patrick with how he treated his wife. Gosh, Pinky was annoying but good in her role. I actually don't like either of them.
    Cyril Connolly

Man, I only remember bits and pieces of this series. It's been so long since I watched this one.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I thought Noble conflict was pretty boring. I think Erica had a very small role right? I think Tiffany did a very good job as the villain. But I remember her character was pretty tragic.

Your right, in flaming brothers, Patrick starts off with the better character but you slowly see how he turns bad. I thought Deanie Yip was pretty funny. Even when she is trying to sound serious. She has very funny facial expressions. I don't remember Pinky in the series.

I thought Noble conflict was pretty boring. I think Erica had a very small role right? I think Tiffany did a very good job as the villain. But I remember her character was pretty tragic.

Your right, in flaming brothers, Patrick starts off with the better character but you slowly see how he turns bad. I thought Deanie Yip was pretty funny. Even when she is trying to sound serious. She has very funny facial expressions. I don't remember Pinky in the series.
    "Noble Conflict" could have been great if they got the casting and the plot right. The theme of the story don't stand out and it just seems to be a convoluted mess all stitched together.

Tiffany's character caused her own downfall. I don't find her sad despite her dad died and her family business went down the drain. But she still has great and caring lover in Stephen, and the support of Kent's family. But she was so stupid that saw Kent as the enemy, and sacrificed everything (her reputation, got raped, got disfigured) to bring him down, when the guy has been doing nothing but trying to look out for her. She never repented even at the end. The one I really felt sorry was Stephen's character who was expected to standby and watch his girlfriend shove him aside numerous times to seduce other men to help her in her revenge.

I don't remember Pinky in the series.
    Pinky was Shek Sau's legal advisor. Not sure what on earth their relationship actually was but Pinky raped Shek Sau when he was drunk then accused him of rape due to semen on her dress. She then teamed up with Patrick to take over Shek Sau's business after he had a stroke and became Patrick's mistress. She was a total B to Kristal who was Patrick's wife and caused her miscarriage and later madness. Horrible woman, but good acting. It is sort of like Queenie from "Central Affairs I" but worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Man, I only remember bits and pieces of this series. It's been so long since I watched this one.
    Watch it again. It is worth it even though I don't exactly like the last third of the story.
    Cyril Connolly

I don't really remember why she hated kent and strawberry so much. But yes Tiffany wanted to kill them so badly and was fill with hatred. The actress did a good job.

As for Flaming brother's I remember back in 1999, it was on the same time as detective files investigations 4 in hong kong, so I kind of just keep changing the channel back and forth because I had wanted to watch both. I never seen central affairs. Hmm since you are recommending the beginning part of the series, I will try to look for it and watch it later. Thanks =)

As for Flaming brother's I remember back in 1999, it was on the same time as detective files investigations 4 in hong kong, so I kind of just keep changing the channel back and forth because I had wanted to watch both. I never seen central affairs. Hmm since you are recommending the beginning part of the series, I will try to look for it and watch it later. Thanks =)
    Well, while you're at it, go and watch "Central Affairs 1" as well. It is a pretty decent series by ATV at the time considering all the problems with management. Don't watch "Central Affairs 2" because it is stupid.
    Cyril Connolly

Is Central Affairs good? I remember reading somewhere ppl said it was bad and I think Pinky and Michelle got into a big argument.

I don't really remember why she hated kent and strawberry so much. But yes Tiffany wanted to kill them so badly and was fill with hatred. The actress did a good job.
    The Japanese warriors challenged Tiffany's dad to a duel for the wooden plaque of his clan. Tiffany's dad was not confident and so he instead challenged Kent and lost to Kent, and thus lost the plaque to Kent as he knew he would not humiliate it but the Japanese would. Then somehow, Tiffany's dad then had a duel with one of the villains and died. Tiffany saw it in a way that whatever Kent did to help her, it was to rub in to her that her family has lost to his.

Then it gets messy. Tiffany doesn't love Kent, but wants to marry him to get access to the powerful martial arts of his family so she can get revenge on her dad. But Kent doesn't want her, he wants Strawberry so it hurts her ego since she the most beautiful women in the the world. Then she meets the Crown prince who is enamored by her beauty, but Kent sort of lets him know that Tiffany has a boyfriend on the side and the Crown prince falls for Strawberry instead. So it is double hit on her ego.
    Cyril Connolly

Is Central Affairs good? I remember reading somewhere ppl said it was bad and I think Pinky and Michelle got into a big argument.
    The story is pretty ok but it does look a little low budget. The characters are very interesting and everyone has a good and bad side. There are some plot twists along the way and the chemistry is not bad considering what was going on off camera. I liked "Central Affairs". It has some good parts and some bad parts, but overall, i felt it was a decent series. I found it better than the recent epics that TVB has tried to sell to us for the past 3 years.

Wong Jing brought Michelle in to ATV to promote her with this series or promote this series with her, and there was a clash of opinions and attitudes not only between Pinky and Michelle, but also Michelle and Gilbert over how some scenes should be acted out. And Gilbert was unhappy with a happy ending so we ended up the open one instead. The disagreement between Michelle and Pinky also went onto to "Central Affairs 2".

And the series also got in trouble with the insurance brokers because it portrayed them trading sexual flavours to climb up the social ladder. But to be fair, it does happen in real life, not only in the insurance industry but even in the corporate world. Not everyone does it but it does happen often enough for it to get on the news.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    The Japanese warriors challenged Tiffany's dad to a duel for the wooden plaque of his clan. Tiffany's dad was not confident and so he instead challenged Kent and lost to Kent, and thus lost the plaque to Kent as he knew he would not humiliate it but the Japanese would. Then somehow, Tiffany's dad then had a duel with one of the villains and died. Tiffany saw it in a way that whatever Kent did to help her, it was to rub in to her that her family has lost to his.

Then it gets messy. Tiffany doesn't love Kent, but wants to marry him to get access to the powerful martial arts of his family so she can get revenge on her dad. But Kent doesn't want her, he wants Strawberry so it hurts her ego since she the most beautiful women in the the world. Then she meets the Crown prince who is enamored by her beauty, but Kent sort of lets him know that Tiffany has a boyfriend on the side and the Crown prince falls for Strawberry instead. So it is double hit on her ego.
    wow pretty messy, I remember she was disfigure too...

Will look at central affairs later, is wong mei in it? just wondering.

In flaming brothers, looks like Patrick is just obsess with Kathy chow's character.

In flaming brothers, looks like Patrick is just obsess with Kathy chow's character.
    I don't think Patrick is obsessed with Kathy's character but he wants her because she represents everything that he wants - beauty, class, fame and grace. His true obsession is that he was never to content with what he had and wanted to consistently compete with someone else. He wanted to strike it rich and beat the ridicule that he suffered since young as people misunderstood that he was an illegitimate child. He sets these step by step goals to follow to become rich and successful - having a trophy girlfriend like Winnie Lok was just another goal for him.

I think with her choosing his brother over him hurt his ego a lot, because to him, everyone preferred Michael over him even though he was "nicer", more hardworking and more ambitious. He wanted snatch Winnie back from him and prove that he was better than Michael. He definitely liked Winnie a lot because she was nice to him and never looked down on him, but I don't think he knows her well enough to love her.

In terms of love, I felt that he actually quite loved his first girlfriend from China who stuck by him through the hard times, but he just loved himself better. She was not the ideal partner for him if he was to succeed in life so he got rid of her. But in the end when she visited him on his death bed, I felt that he really did genuinely care for her whereas with all the other women in his life, he had some ulterior motive that was related to furthering his success. Even though his mum died for him, but I still think that his first girlfriend who was the only who unconditionally loved him until the last moment and put his as her first priority every single time.

As for "Central Affairs", no, Wong Mei is not in it. She may have left ATV before 2005.
    Cyril Connolly

gosh sounds so sad. I think Stephen Au was funny here as a die hard Bruce Lee fan.

gosh sounds so sad. I think Stephen Au was funny here as a die hard Bruce Lee fan.
    And they had to kill him off as well!
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    And they had to kill him off as well!
    omg really? Gosh I guess I'm really just going to watch the beginning and not the end. But I like Stephen here, very different compare to seeing him in witness to prosecution as someone who is lazy and becomes smart/ semi villain, or a lawyer can be bad where he is a very smart lawyer. I don't like movies with sad endings where everyone dies. That's why it was hard for me to finish breaking point or the greed of man.