Thread: HELP: A Google problem (Damage control)

Default HELP: A Google problem (Damage control)

Hey everyone, does anyone know how I could contact Google to close a Gmail account that has been compromised by hackers?

Please also be warned that: DO NOT PROVIDE YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT DETAILS and PASSWORD, even you should received an email from Google threatening to close your account due to inactivity or any sort of bullshit.

Senario:

I'm helping a friend whose email account has been compromised and taken over a hacker. Worse to that, the hacker sent out email to all the contacts, with a fabricated story and asking the contact to wire funds thru Western Union.

I was one of the friends who received that email, so I called the friend and learned of the truth. He can't access the email anymore as he cannot log in now, and the account information has been changed too. The only way to stop this, I think is to close that account. Please suggest if you have or know of any better idea.

This is how the email look like, and I don't know how much you can deduced from here:-

Note that I have been 'BCC' hence, I don't know who are included in this email as it doesn't show in the email I have received. The account holder of this victim is running a private business, and used this email to liaise with clients so you can imagine this fiasco being sent to his clients *nightmare*. Being someone non-tech savvy, he was convinced by email who claimed they are from the Google team and they threaten to shut down his account for some reasons including too many gmail accounts around. But to avoid having his account shutdown, he need to provide his password and email name to verify his account is still 'alive' and frequently visited.

rom Paul Lim & Associates <[email protected]>
    to
    bcc (my email)
    date Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    subject financial assistance
    mailed-by gmail.com
    signed-by gmail.com

Good morning,
    How are you doing? Hope all is well with you and family, I know this might be a surprise to you but I am sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling to Scotland for a Seminar. I need a favor from you as I've misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money,and other valuable things were kept and I will like you to assist me with an urgent loan of $2,800 U.S Dollars to sort-out my hotel bills and get myself back home.

Please help me send the money via western union to the below details;

Name: Paul Suppiah
    Address : 21 George Street,
    Edinburgh EH2 2PB, Scotland

kindly help me make the transfer as soon as you receive this email and once you have it sent, send me the transfer control number with the Receipt used in sending it. Also do let me know how you want me to pay you back so I can make the arrangements to get it to you as soon as I get back home.

Regards
    Paul
    I can feed you with more information as you throw-in questions. Many thanks!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Hi all,

My friend finally contacted Google team to get himself out of this nightmare. Things are at a resolving end, should be fine now. But I would leave this thread here for your knowledge of such cases so that no one here would fall prey to a similar fiasco.

Cheers!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I need a hacker to hack my gmail cause I forgot my pw. On a serious note, I did receive such e-mail a while back but I just delete it.

Another google problem is google forcing people to link their youtube account.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Another google problem is google forcing people to link their youtube account.
    How is that forced? My YouTube account is not linked to Gmail.

Personally I like to keep things separate. I don't want to have to sign into Gmail just to access my YouTube account. But today when I went to sign into YouTube I was informed that I couldn't access my YouTube unless I link it to a google account. Oh well. It's their site, they make the rules.

It's annoying as hell. I have 2 separate youtube accounts. I had to make a new email address just to sign in to my regular youtube account. Because my regular email is already linked to my irregular youtube account. When I sign in on youtube, it also signed me into the wrong gmail account. Bloody annoying. I'm also losing track of my passwords now since passwords have changed length from 5 characters, to 6 characters, to 8 characters, now 9 characters.

http://www.youtube.com/my_account_unlink

Just link it to a random account that you'll never use.

It doesn't let me unlink to my main email address. Something about it being a google account. I did link to a random email I'll never use, but it signs me into that email address when I'm checking my emails.