Thread: Current events in the Middle East - like the end of the Cold War all over again.

Default Current events in the Middle East - like the end of the Cold War all over again.

The past two months have brought unexpected and heartening developments in the Middle East as the citizens of Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, and other Middle Eastern countries have risen up to challenge and overthrow their tyrannical governments.

To me, it feels very much like watching the people of Eastern Europe rise up against their Communist governments at the end of the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The past two months have brought unexpected and heartening developments in the Middle East as the citizens of Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, and other Middle Eastern countries have risen up to challenge and overthrow their tyrannical governments.

To me, it feels very much like watching the people of Eastern Europe rise up against their Communist governments at the end of the 1980s.
    The one for Egypt, I thought that was a royal triumph. A Christian friend told me that event was mentioned in the bible - So is whatever is happening and has happened. I haven't read the book (as always) and have no idea how true is it or how exactly (or which chapter) was that mentioned.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Some people said the news of Libya is false. The situation is not as bad as reported. It's just US government want to bring down Gaddafi.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    The one for Egypt, I thought that was a royal triumph. A Christian friend told me that event was mentioned in the bible - So is whatever is happening and has happened. I haven't read the book (as always) and have no idea how true is it or how exactly (or which chapter) was that mentioned.
    You can ask your friend for the specific chapter where it is mentioned.

Ok, did a Google search on it. Supposed to be Ezek 29:9. Doesn't sound like the current situation though.

And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste; and they shall know that I [am] the LORD: because he hath said, The river [is] mine, and I have made [it].
    Last edited by kidd; 03-06-11 at 10:57 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I think it's a bit pre-mature to call this End of Cold War II. In Libya for instance, we have no idea who the opposition is and whether they'd move towards democracy should they win.

It's not very heartening to me. The Arab street is largely young, male, a large proportion of it is poorly educated, and highly susceptible to the siren calls of extremist religion. The West and pretty much everything it stands for - separation of church and state, religious tolerance, women's rights - is hated and despised. This isn't the end of the Cold War but the beginning, or rather, the next development, in another kind of war.