Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bu Bu Jing Xin Novel Discussion. (Lot's of Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    But I don't think that's what Ruoxi was thinking. Ruoxi is portrayed as instead falling entirely, hopelessly and illogically even in love with 4th in the novel so I accept it as part of who she is.
    You think Ruoxi fell in love with 4th illogically? Really? I'm so surprised. :O I thought it was very evident and very logical why she fell in love with 4th so much more than 8th. Why did you think it was illogical?

In regards to the wife thing. Perhaps I made too much emphasis on Minghui being a lioness, but my actual point was, it's not because Ruoxi was afraid of Minghui or the prospect of being one of many wives, but through that event, she realizes 8th will not protect her or put her first. Remember you said Ruoxi did not understand why she couldn't face death with 8th? Shouldn't you be able to if you really loved someone? Well, I think ti's because the Minghui thing had put doubt in Ruoxi's mind (subconsciously, because I don't think she realizes it.) if she was as important to 8th as she thinks. As a modern woman, I think Ruoxi has that idea that if you love someone, then you'd place them first and protect them with all your abilities. But 8th clearly can't do that.

8th's brushing off of Minghui's bullying towards Ruoxi's sister shows some insincerity what 8th is making his love to be like. Ruoxi knows, that he will do the same if the same thing (the bullying) happened to her; there's no way he'll come to her defense and cross Minghui. For him it's such a minor incident. As Ruoxi explains to 13th, why she didn't fall in love with him, she says that she tends to love those who take that first step to show affection, and who gives a lot to her (love wise). I guess you can interpret that as, the more one loves her, the more she'll love back. Sincerity is a big factor here. Therefore, she didn't love 8th as much because his love wasn't deep enough or sincere enough.

She told 4th that she could lie and tell him that she fell in love with him because he saved her, or because he was heroic etc., but really she wants him to marry her because she thinks he's going to be a reliable tree for her. 4th laughed a little bitterly at her candor, but told her he wasn't willing to marry her... yet. (Funnily he waited for a while to say "yet" so that Ruoxi laughed a little bitterly that she had overestimated her own worth! )

But yes, so it is that 4th was shocked that Ruoxi turned down 14th.
    Yes, I think 4th was very surprised to find that Ruoxi loves him strongly back as well, because up until then, he most likely felt that she was with him primarily for protection rather than out of pure love. Which makes me like him more because he promised to be that tree for her in even when he knows she is primarily using him for protection. Although he promises it in such a bossy way. lol: 他微微笑了下说:“你既已戴了我的簪子,又说了要嫁我,以后就莫要再想别人了!”(He smiled slightly and said, "Since you put on my hairpin, and said you want to marry me, from now on you can stop thinking of anyone else!"). I think it really shows how much his feelings are for her. So Ruoxi definitely has not overestimated her own worth; she just thinks she did.
    Last edited by Plushie; 03-08-11 at 12:39 AM.

Sorry to detract from the 8th-Ruoxi-4th love discussion, but I just keep mulling this over in my brain.

We've discussed the predestination paradox before with Ruoxi's warning to 8th about guarding himself against 4th. That warning was what caused 8th to set-up his plot against 4th that ultimately led to 13th's imprisonment for 10 years.

But I've been thinking about the other part that Ruoxi plays to fulfill history. At one point in time, Ruoxi's pleading for Emperor Yongzheng to spare 8th et. al leads him to say to her (paraphrased), "I can only promise you that I will not kill them." That moment, Ruoxi felt relief. Ruoxi's worries about the people she cared about dying (it always haunted her that she knew 8th would die in the fourth year of Yongzheng's reign), was one of the major contributors to her lack of sleep, ill health, and ultimately, death. How ironic that with her death then, with the aid of 13th, she ended up orchestrating 8th's and 9th's deaths. In the end, she had realized death could actually be merciful.

Another thought:
    9th thought that Ruoxi was being cruel by letting him see Yutan's last words. (“Yutan has no complaints! No regrets!") According to him, Yongzheng tortured their bodies, but with this one action, Ruoxi was able to torment his heart so that he would die with guilt. Do you think that was Ruoxi's intention?
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    Another thought:
    9th thought that Ruoxi was being cruel by letting him see Yutan's last words. (“Yutan has no complaints! No regrets!") According to him, Yongzheng tortured their bodies, but with this one action, Ruoxi was able to torment his heart so that he would die with guilt. Do you think that was Ruoxi's intention?
    I guess that it was Ruoxi's revenge to 9th for causing her miscarriage!? Anyway I believe Ruoxi's intention is to let 9th know how much Yutan loved him, with that both of them can die with no regrets...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    We've discussed the predestination paradox before with Ruoxi's warning to 8th about guarding himself against 4th. That warning was what caused 8th to set-up his plot against 4th that ultimately led to 13th's imprisonment for 10 years.

Ruoxi's worries about the people she cared about dying (it always haunted her that she knew 8th would die in the fourth year of Yongzheng's reign), was one of the major contributors to her lack of sleep, ill health, and ultimately, death. How ironic that with her death then, with the aid of 13th, she ended up orchestrating 8th's and 9th's deaths. In the end, she had realized death could actually be merciful.

Another thought:
    It is ironic! I like that about how she ended up caving in and even advancing the very fate she wrung her heart over for years!

The idea of a "self fulfilling prophercy" is quite well established- i.e., a prediction that becomes true because the prediction existed- (you could say it's predestination or fate too). Like how the three witches in Macbeth made him arrogant and confident over "not being killed except by a man not born of a woman", or, even more direct and classic, how the prediction that Oedipus would kill his father made the king try to kill Oedipus too by abandoning the infant... which is how he didn't know his own father growing up and killed him pretty much by accident on the road one day.

I'm with Kenixgoh, I think it was to convey Yutan's devotion to 9th... which Ruoxi always had a soft spot for.

Though you'll neverk know... I believe it's one of the central themes here- that one can make calculated moves and yet not be without geniune feelings mixed in. E.g., you can say Yutan was faking her friendship with Ruoxi all those years, but Ruoxi was firm that the feelings cultivated over all that time is real... just that the motivation wasn't purely selfless. Just as Ruoxi started devoting herself to 4th entirely for self-serving reasons and ultimately ended up in a place where she would give up all herself for him, and at the end 8th might have told Yong zhen about his relationship with Ruoxi to save Ruoxi, and yet I'm pretty sure he enjoyed tormenting Yong zhen to pay him back for driving his wife to suicide.

The gray-scale between pure-political-intrigue and pure-emotional-impulses (like love or gratitude or friendship).

So who knows? Maybe Ruoxi did have a wee bit of revenge mixed in with her feelings of mercy to 9th and indebtedness to Yutan in that final gesture.

One other thing Bu Bu inspired me to do is go read other time travel internet novels specifically to the Qing Dynasty and I admit at least the one I picked to read first after Bu Bu was terribly disappointing.

It was so unrealistic and entirely romance-centric that it read like a long fanfic.... which can be fun, but wasn't what I was looking for.

And weirdly 4th once again is the central hero but is portrayed to be again cold and icy and yet, in the other novel, inexplicably (of course) drawn to the romantic heroine... the author threw in some kiss scenes all over the first few chapters for good measure.

Ok, enough of knocking the other novel, but just to say Bu Bu is not unique genre-wise, but at least judging from my initial attempts, seems like it's very very far above average for how it handles the themes (though in retrospect I can see some of the same faults in Bu Bu that fanfics commonly have.... very interesting to think of Bu Bu that way! As a ultra well-written fanfic!)

Quote Originally Posted by Plushie View Post
    You think Ruoxi fell in love with 4th illogically? Really? I'm so surprised. :O I thought it was very evident and very logical why she fell in love with 4th so much more than 8th. Why did you think it was illogical?
    I do actually think it's illogical.

If you consider that 14th was such a good choice for her. If she was rational and considered her goal to be to survive away from the terribly politics of court and to escape the gilded bird cage that is the Forbidden City, plus 14th had a reasonable outcome in the end (as she knew), and loved her (in his own way) and respected her and even (although somewhat tainted with personal gain) knelt out in the rain all night for her... well 14th was the logical choice for her.

So her love for 4th was illogical. It led her ultimately to a much worse of place than she might have been.

But then what does logic have to do with it?

One of my oft repeated favorite quotes-

"Le cœur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point."
    The heart has it's reasons that reason knows nothing of.
    -Pascal
    Last edited by yanfeng; 03-08-11 at 01:51 PM.

Seeing 13th scenes in the trailer after his wife died broke my heart.
    Can you guys tell me why his wife suicided?
    Like: Yuan Hong, Chris Wu, Zhang Jie

Not definitively known, but at least partly it was because she knew her lowly background would count against 13th now that he was once again amongst the royalty and having great status with Yong Zhen. She lied that she was leaving to go back to her home town but really threw herself into a river because she couldn't bear the thought of life without him.

Tragic and horrible actually.... 13th spent a lot of his time looking at paintings they'd done of each other in their decade of house imprisonment.

On a tangent here- anyone know of other Tong Hua internet novels, preferably also the same genre (i.e., historical, political romances) which are good reads? I'm hungry for more of her work now I know it's rare to get reasonably good quality writing like hers in the genre!

Quote Originally Posted by katxdbsk View Post
    My chinese is only about 75%, so I am can't say with certainty but it's becuase 13th's wife's family was involved in a revolt. She came from a good family that unsuccessfully revolted against Kangxi and the whole family was executed. She realised it was only a matter of time before it would be found out and didn't want this information being used against 13 or her daughter so she chose to leave. Since living without 13 is like death to her she committed suicide.

Thanks Nanaya... I think with 75%, you're already twice as good as I am at mandarin!

One question here for you all-

I still don't quite understand how 4th got the throne.

It _seems_ like Kangxi did mean to pass the throne to 14th, but he died before he could properly convey this to anyone except his most trusted enurch, 4th/14th's mother and 4th himself correct? Then it appeared as if 4th actually poisoned Kangxi or brought about his death pre-maturely in some way, and then bribed/bought over the people who were by his death bed to pretend that Kangxi's last words were to pass the throne to 4th. (And yes there was a lot of politics around exactly how he bribed or bought over those guys!)

And somehow Ruoxi knew this because the enurch who Kangxi most trusted (and who in turn was quite good to Ruoxi) committed suicide knowing that Yongzhen would never let him off since he knew the truth.

Insights here?

(Also don't understand why Yongzhen refused to alert 14th when their mother was on her deathbed... sure he resented her siding with 14th, but was it really all about revenge? Or was there political significance to him being the only person by her deathbed?)

BTW, I've been convinced by reading some of the Baidu comments that 4th's initial interest in Ruoxi was political as well.

He probably thought Ruoxi was 8th's spy (being his sister-in-law, and 8th went to great lengths to get her placed in Kangxi's inner chamber as his "tea servant"), not to mention Ruoxi kept making enquiries about 4th's likes and dislikes, fishing for information...

I wonder if his initial foray to talk to her was entirely to indulge 13th's whim of wanting to answer Ruoxi's questions, or to (as the baidu poster suggests) test Ruoxi.... and see what sort of information a spy from 8th thought was important.

It was hilarious that the outcome was Ruoxi doing what she self-described as an "idol interview" of the sort she read about in magazines in the 21st century. "What weather do you like?" "What weather do you hate?"

The outcome being that 4th probably concluded that Ruoxi was out to fish for 4th's attention for her own gain (i.e., she wanted to marry a prince and picked 4th... though 4th himself admitted later that he was puzzled that she didn't go straight for 13th given how close they were!)

I do actually think it's illogical.

If you consider that 14th was such a good choice for her. If she was rational and considered her goal to be to survive away from the terribly politics of court and to escape the gilded bird cage that is the Forbidden City, plus 14th had a reasonable outcome in the end (as she knew), and loved her (in his own way) and respected her and even (although somewhat tainted with personal gain) knelt out in the rain all night for her... well 14th was the logical choice for her.

So her love for 4th was illogical. It led her ultimately to a much worse of place than she might have been.

But then what does logic have to do with it?

If we are talking about her goal as being survival, I thought Ruoxi made it clear why she chose 4th for protection instead of everyone else. 14th was part of 8th's group, if she chose 14th it would have made it awkward, plus at the time there was no way he would have said yes (十四阿哥也不行,他现在还是‘八爷党’的人,一则康熙不会同意,二则他自己也绝对不会要我的) . If we are talking about later on in the book, by then Ruoxi has already fallen in love with 4th, so it was too late for 14th.

I also don't think it was illogical that Ruoxi had fallen in love with 4th more than the others. She even states in her final letter the 3 incidents that cermented her feelings. To me, to fall in love illogically means if Ruoxi had fallen in love with 4th the moment she saw him, or just suddenly with no reasons. Ruoxi clearly wasn't taken to him overnight. Her intentions weren't exactly pure on the get go afterall.

As you've stated above, 4th may have approached her to see if she was 8th's spy. If not 8th's spy, she could easily be Kangxi's spy to spy on all the princes. She was close to Kangxi as well as being one of his favorite. Her close and friendly relationships many of the princes makes her a good candidate. What this means is that he basically placed his life as well as his ambitions into Ruoxi's hand when he answered without hesitating and unwaveringly, "I want it" when she asked him if he wanted the throne. It might not mean much if it came from someone else, but from a prince who desires the throne and has hidden his desires so deep that almost no one knew it? It means a lot.

Second incident is fairly simple. The princes knew Ruoxi's kneeling in the rain was leaked out by Kangxi, which is why 14th jumped on the opportunity. 4th should be the last person to be anywhere near Ruoxi that day, but he didn't and he went to see her anyways. He could have jeopardized everything including saving 13th by doing so.

Lastly, the arrow. This is why I love Tong Hua so much. She could have just ended it as it is but she made 4th say, "If I had more time to think, I would not have done it". He's not lying. He wouldn't have reacted if more time was given to him. What had happened was done without thought. It means what he did was purely instinctual, and it came truly and honestly from his heart. He had placed her above himself.

So how can Ruoxi not fall for someone who has not only risked his life, and his ambitions, (everything that matters to these princes) for her, not just once, but three times? I don't think 14th can compete with that, even with his kneeling in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by katxdbsk View Post
    I just want to add to and clarify what yanfeng and nanaya had already mentioned.

The reasons she committed suicide were only speculated by Yongzheng and Ruoxi. Luwu (13th's wife) once wrote a letter to Ruoxi that mentioned where she was originally from and that she was born into a well-to-do, educated family, but something tragic happened and all that was lost. In actual history, some time during Kangxi's reign, a significant case of "literary crime" occurred in the very place Luwu was from. As described in BBJX novel, someone by the surname of Zhuang was editing/compiling a book on Ming Dynasty history, but in that book, they had used dates/titles utilized during the Ming period instead of Qing titles/dates (e.g. Nurhaci, the father of the first emperor of the Qing Dynasty, was referred to as a commander instead of his posthumous temple name of Taizu Emperor of Qing). All people associated with the book, including editors, people involved in printing/binding, collecting info, purchasers of the book, even readers of the book, and all their family members were captured and judged guilty by association. 72 were killed, hundreds were banished, and more than 2000 were imprisoned. Families were destroyed by this one event.

(Side note: Anyone familiar with Duke of Mount Deer, i.e. Lu Ding Ji, would also be familiar with Shuang'er, the maideservant-turned-wife of Wei Xiaobao. She was originally one of the maidservants of the Zhuang family of this incident, hence her hatred against the Manchus.)

Ruoxi had originally made up a story to comfort 13th that Luwu was one of the descendants of a family that had been affected by this crime and had left him because she did not want to be unfilial to her ancestors by marrying a prince of the royal family that had destroyed her own family. However, it turns out Ruoxi's 'story' about Luwu being one of these descendants was actually true, after investigation by Emperor Yongzheng.

It turns out, after 13th was set free, he immediately requested Yongzheng to bestow an official title to Luwu as 13th's wife. However, with such a background, not only was a title impossible, it would stir up controversy and would be detrimental to 13th's status, should 9th or anyone else want to use this against him. Of course, Luwi knew that 13th would not care and would insist on giving her this recognition. Yongzheng speculated that Luwu left 13th for this reason. Whether she killed herself because she could not live without 13th or, because of her identity, her very existence could even be harmful to him is not known. Maybe both.

Also, Ruoxi noticed that one of 13th's wives had not been treating Luwu very kindly and had probably said some nasty things to her. So, Luwu's emotional state was probably not very good to begin with, and faced with the fact that her existence threatened 13th's position and the thought of living a life without 13th, everything likely all added up.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 03-09-11 at 10:48 PM.
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Quote Originally Posted by Plushie View Post
    So how can Ruoxi not fall for someone who has not only risked his life, and his ambitions, (everything that matters to these princes) for her, not just once, but three times? I don't think 14th can compete with that, even with his kneeling in the rain.
    Hi Plushie- I can see _why_ Rouxi fell for 4th, but falling in love with 4th wasn't logical for her because it drove her to do illogical things. I'm ALL for Ruoxi's love for 4th and think that the fact that she ended up giving up for him things that she wouldn't have at the start because she was out for her own safety and future is quite touching.

Logical is so much less romantic compared to helplessly in love. (She actually expressed it somewhat like that she said that she refused 14th because her heart refused and there was nothing she could do about it... and shrugged and smiled a little helplessly.)

Love the arrow accident- 4th too is illogically in love

Now fingers-crossed that the drama does the book justice!

Hoju! Thanks for the clarification- I recall that Ruoxi thought 13th's wives were the main culprits, but was surprised that her random 'made-up' reason turned out to be true. Though of course, no one really knew why. One of the fun things about this novel is Tong Hua really keeps it strictly 1st person from Ruoxi's p.o.v. and keeps a lot of other characters' motivations opaque to the reader... we, along with Ruoxi, get hints, but a lot of it is up to us to infer and judge for ourselves.

I'm convinced, based on Luwu's rough sketch as being ultra-devoted to 13th, that she somehow did it for 13th's sake, though whether because of her family background or something 13th's wife threatened to do... one can only really guess.

Hi Plushie- I can see _why_ Rouxi fell for 4th, but falling in love with 4th wasn't logical for her because it drove her to do illogical things. I'm ALL for Ruoxi's love for 4th and think that the fact that she ended up giving up for him things that she wouldn't have at the start because she was out for her own safety and future is quite touching.

Logical is so much less romantic compared to helplessly in love. (She actually expressed it somewhat like that she said that she refused 14th because her heart refused and there was nothing she could do about it... and shrugged and smiled a little helplessly.)

Love the arrow accident- 4th too is illogically in love

Now fingers-crossed that the drama does the book justice!
    Ah I see. I misunderstood what you meant by illogical. I thought you meant illogical in the sense that it didn't make sense why she fell in love with 4th.

Going back to that Ruoxi and Yutan thing. I honestly don't think Ruoxi gave the white cloth to 9th desiring revenge. She probably really wanted 9th to understand how much Yutan cared for him. She was already heartborken and dying when she asked her maid to do it for her. I think revenge would be the last thing on her mind. But who knows, Ruoxi is not a push over herself.

Plushie, Yanfeng, Please please please tell me about the arrow accident! Reading makes me really want to know about it! This time Plushie, its a pretty please with a Yuan Hong, Nicky, and roast duck on top! Deal?

Hahahaha! Drgirleam that's really attractive!

Okay, I'll take the 13th and leave Plushie the Nicky and the duck!

Mostly I don't recall the details of the scene, but I do know that someone (was it Nicky's son?) accidentally came near to hurting Ruoxi with an arrow, and 4th shielded her with his body, at the risk of his life.

Afterward he said, as Plushie mentioned, that if he had thought about it, he wouldn't have done it. And Ruoxi told him that she only cared that he had done it...

It was an indication of how much 4th had come to care about Ruoxi- that his first concern was her safety and not even his own.

And there's nothing more valuable than honest feeling in the depths of the political mire that is the Forbidden city!

I'll let Plushie earn her 4th and duck by telling you more!

Lol. I don't know if I can add anymore. You seemed to have explained it quite well. haha. ^^ I'll take the duck and Nicky anyways.

Basically, 4th saves Ruoxi from an arrow. It was this incident that sealed Ruoxi's love for 4th. If there was any doubt or wiggle room up until now, there is none anymore. They are both hopelessly in love.
    Last edited by Plushie; 03-11-11 at 02:34 AM.

Awwww I LOVE hopelessly falling in love with each other romantic stuff! Thanks so much! And as promised............

Yanfeng here is your 13th
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f332/Drgirleam/13th.jpg')

Plushie...here is your 4th and.....your duck! Bon apetit!
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f332/Drgirleam/600full-nicky-wu.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f332/Drgirleam/b_Roast_Duck.jpg')

Ohhhh.... that duck looks so good I'm _almost_ willing to trade in my beloved 13th for it....

But no, I'll stay strong and hold out for a good portrayal of my favorite Prince from the book from YH! So Plushie, you get to keep your duck!

Thanks drgirleam!

Anyone know how 13th died in the end? I gather in defense of Yongzhen somehow? (A heroic death for a true hero I hope!)

I also wonder how his and Luwu's daughter turned out... seems like Ruoxi was trying to position her well with Qianlong (since Ruoxi knew who was going to be emperor after Yongzhen, she figured if the little girl was acquainted with Qianlong as a child she would stand a better chance of being given a favorable future!)

And Ruoxi is actually quite right in one thing- history doesn't focus on what happens to the women.

I recall a scene when Ruoxi was searching her memory to see if she could remember what happened to 8th's wife and realized that she didn't know what happened to any of the women.