Thread: Question

Default Question

[SIZE=3]When someone asks you a question, do you automatically/usually assume or think that the question pertains to or is about the asker? People seem to think that I ask a question because it concerns me. Examples:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Me: what do think of dumping someone through text messaging?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]He/she: that’s cowardly. Did someone dump you through text?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Me: No, just curious. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Or [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Me: Do you know what hemorrhoid is?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]He/she: Yeah, it’s—. You have hemorrhoid?![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Me: No! Just wondering what it is.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

The only time i don't think that is the case is when it happened to someone they know or they saw it on tv/read in a magazine/etc.
    People don't ask these things out of the blue

I will ask anyway something like that anyway, I mean, especially if the question is quite out of the ordinary. If you asked a question like "what's the time now", then you shouldn't be too surprised that the person you asked might go, "Are you in a rush for time?" or "Are you waiting for something?" ...
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

I don't ALWAYS assume that it is the asker. Sometimes, I will ask, "Do you know a person who did that?" OR "Did someone do that to you?" BUT it depends on the nature of the topic. This is because I am personally the type of person that asks many questions...that come out of the blue or actually have nothing to do with me whatsoever.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    I will ask anyway something like that anyway, I mean, especially if the question is quite out of the ordinary. If you asked a question like "what's the time now", then you shouldn't be too surprised that the person you asked might go, "Are you in a rush for time?" or "Are you waiting for something?" ...
    Well you ask the question when you want an opinion and usually it's because you're thinking about the topic already. Most people don't tend to think about very specific topics like "is it ok to dump someone by sms?" unless it's something triggered them to think about it e.g. it happened to someone they know, they read it somewhere, saw it on tv etc.

But even little things like the time, it's because I'm thinking about it already. Don't know about you but I don't think about what time it is unless I want to gauge how much time is left for me to do something/get somewhere or if I feel tired, the sky looks dark etc. I usually don't wonder what the time is for no reason at all.

But if someone asked me what the time was, I wouldn't ask if they were in a rush or had an appointment. I don't care. They want to know what the time is and that's all that is to it. But if someone asked me a specific question, and depending on how specific it was, I'd ask why they ask. E.g. if they said do you know what is wrong when you're always vommiting, dizzy etc. I'd probably ask them what's wrong?

Regarding whether you actually ask them their reason for asking, depends on your relationship to that person. The closer you are to them the more you'd wonder why they're asking. Personally I don't assume it's regarding them specifically, but I would ask why they'd ask. Nobody asks a question out of the blue.
    Last edited by KeongJai; 03-20-11 at 10:11 PM.