Thread: Work culture

Default Work culture

Every country and company has got their own work culture. From the different companies I've worked in and experienced in Singapore, I have some observations of my own.

Do you guys think it is reasonable to have to work on weekends (without getting paid or leave in-lieu, to finish up work? If you were given certain work a few weeks earlier, but never had the time to work on it until the deadline drops by to say 'hello see you soon on Monday', will you work on the weekend for it? What if you had something really important clashing with your work commitment for that weekend?

Are you willing to stay back late constantly for no overtime pay (consider your pay isn't a lot to start with) to finish up work, playing catch up to deadlines?

How far will you take your responsibility and commitment for work?

I would love to read different responses to this.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Work means different things to different people. Some take it as a necessity; others take it as a time-filler, a career, a passion, or anything in between. But whatever it means to people, work is made up of a balance of a variety of factors in order to take on these specific meanings.

That you are asking such questions probably means that the balance of factors in your case is out of whack.

---

In my case: Some people say that I'm committed to my job; others say that I seem to be more of a workaholic. Regardless of what people say, I feel that the balance of factors in my job at the moment is all right. I could do with more pay (who wouldn't anyway? ) and fewer annoyances, but I try to see things positively: Get rid of the irritants, and get on with the task of getting more pay.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

That you are asking such questions probably means that the balance of factors in your case is out of whack.
    Maybe? LOL But I'm wondering what people think of it and what their stance are. Because I've seen people who are 1) highly repulsive to the ideas stated in the original post, 2) highly receptive. Most of the time, it seems to be tied to the terms of 'responsibility' and 'commitment', but I wonder.

For example, Type 1 isn't going to do the weekend work because he sees that as his private time (probably highly values his personal time) and will not let it be interfered, especially when he's not going to be paid for it. Type 2 will do it because he views it as his responsibility to complete the work, even at his own personal expense.

I tend to drift in between the two... and sometimes feel stressed and guilty over it. Maybe it's just me.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 03-19-11 at 01:49 PM.

I highly value my private time. I almost always fall into Type 2. I have been pretty fortunate that my coworkers and jobs in the past have been overall pleasant. If I hated a job though, I'd also waver between Type 1 [out of hate] and Type 2 [out of personal work ethics].

I'm not the type of person who leaves things undone. That just doesn't sit well with me because of the work ethics I've been instilled with. Also, I care about how other's view me in the workplace...especially if I like them or if it might be disadvantageous in the future for me to be otherwise. I know lots of people who fall into Type 1. haha
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Work means different things to different people. Some take it as a necessity; others take it as a time-filler, a career, a passion, or anything in between. But whatever it means to people, work is made up of a balance of a variety of factors in order to take on these specific meanings.

It's not just a matter of how committed you are to your work. A person also has committments to family and even friends. It's a matter time management. One can love their work, but it doesn't necessarily mean they should sacrifice free time that would otherwise go to their family, friends, and personal mental health.

Of course, it's also a matter of how the employer treats the employee and whether the amount of work is reasonable. For example, are you required to put in extra work every weekend or is it just once in a while?

To me, I fall into Type 2. I regard work as a "problem" = something to get rid of. That's why I am rather committed to work. On the other hand, I am not a smart/productive worker. Hence, I tend to take a longer time to complete a similar piece of work vis-a-vis a more capable colleague.

If given a choice, I will not work. I will do more volunteer work. But I have monetary commitments (for myself and family). :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    For example, are you required to put in extra work every weekend or is it just once in a while?
    For the curious: No, I do not work weekends unless it's a scheduled company event (which is quite infrequent); neither do I do work very late on workdays unless it's an emergency (which is rare, of course).

That said, being pretty high up the hierarchial ladder does have an impact on the time I spend at work, but I do expect my staff to be productive during their normal work hours and meet the required deadlines, so that they do not need to work late or spend weekends at work. That's why I'm not nice (to put it mildly) to staff who come to work late, go home early and fail to meet deadlines on a regular basis. If for some necessary reason I need to be at work on a weekend (e.g. to meet clients who are otherwise unavailable on weekdays), I would not involve more staff than necessary, sometimes even none at all.
    Soon ... SOON!

I don't really consider what I do as work. I set goals and try to reach them. If I can do that during the week, then I'll not do anything on the weekend. But if I feel like there is time pressure and I'm not on schedule, then I'll do work on the weekend.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Personally, if I like the work and believe it serves a good purpose, then I have no problem with working extra hours with no extra pay.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I stay back and finish work up from time to time when the deadlines are not worth it to push back. The past week I worked over 100hrs. The weekend just passed I worked about 20hrs.

I wouldn't do it every week but once every 3 months or so is doable.
    That said I wouldn't do it if I was getting paid even 75% of what I was getting paid. Or if I didn't feel like I would progress career wise from it.
    I also get time in lieu if the overtime is excessive. Not formally, but if I asked my manager for a few days off and he knew I worked that hard and long, he'd let me. Pretty much to get my weekends back that I missed out on during the busy period of the project.

My usual working week is around 50 hours a week. I still have plenty of time to live life. It's just a matter of managing your time.
    Last edited by KeongJai; 03-21-11 at 04:36 AM.

I adore recognition and praises from Bosses - they act as fuel for me to progress and ready to meet more challenges. Responsibility has been part of me, and comes out like a 2nd nature when tasks are assigned to me. I think as long as your basic pay is not under market rate, the fruit (bonuses, increment) of hardwork will get paid off when you have give your best. In this part of the world, one can't be too calculative over private time or not, though you're given that freedom to.

In the end, the sh1t you go through also help you to grow and ready to take on more. It helps to shape you up and bring up your market value. That's how I feel.

"With great power, comes great responsibility. Getting paid more money, comes more work."
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    " ... Getting paid more money, comes more work."

I should have that made into a sign and hung on the wall behind me in the office. Then, everyone who sits down to talk to me about their perceived crummy pay will then get up and walk away without wasting my time discussing about work that they refuse accept in the first place.
    Soon ... SOON!

Banned

I have heard from several people the work culture is horrible and they pay rate is even worse. They push a lot of work on you and treat well you really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post

I should have that made into a sign and hung on the wall behind me in the office. Then, everyone who sits down to talk to me about their perceived crummy pay will then get up and walk away without wasting my time discussing about work that they refuse accept in the first place.
    You can do that now. It's not late. Then, also advise them 'Get real!'.

When people asked me how much does A job pay, I'll usually counter-ask, what can you do to deserve that pay.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I see there's quite a number of Type 2.

The economy is looking good.

i work only to get paid and survive....so i don't work extra hours. amazingly im stuck in a job where im always overflow with work, and i realized that even if i have to blew my weekends every week it's not gonna help significantly, might as well not blow it. maybe once in a while yea, but certainly not regularly. staying back on weekdays are alright for me, but i won't stay like super-late.

=p I get nagged at for years but nothing really happens. they still flood my damn table with work knowing that Lucre doesn't show up on weekends. doesn't stop them from trying the "friday knock-off time routine" (just to make sure you cannot leave)
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.