Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading currently?

Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. Good book, that one.
    History repeats itself. Historians simply repeat each other.

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla

Horowitz's Point Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight-sonata
    Horowitz's Point Blanc.
    wow you guys sure read a lot ahha... and just to mention this, I once played this rpg game on the pc called "final fantasy tactics advance"(i think) and one of the moogle's techniques was point blanc. I finally know where the creators got the idea from. Anyone played that game before? Ignore me if I'm so out of track haha... I mean out of "point"...
    "Laugh as much as you can." :
    "Follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you are going to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by kylagurl
    wow you guys sure read a lot ahha... and just to mention this, I once played this rpg game on the pc called "final fantasy tactics advance"(i think) and one of the moogle's techniques was point blanc. I finally know where the creators got the idea from. Anyone played that game before? Ignore me if I'm so out of track haha... I mean out of "point"...
    Erm, yes I do read a lot. Hmm. Nothing wrong with that, I hope?

I'm currently Hooked on R A Salvatore
    but i just finished "The many colored land saga" by Julian May
    Always Happy To Throw My 2cents! Your Way

Erm, yes I do read a lot. Hmm. Nothing wrong with that, I hope?
    haa... nothing wrong with what? You mean the game?
    "Laugh as much as you can." :
    "Follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you are going to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs.

I meant nothing wrong with reading a lot.

Just finished reading The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Nieffennegger and also Across the Nightingale Floor Tales of the Otori - Lian Hearn

Moving onto read the 2nd book of the Tales of the Otori - Grass For His Pillow
    If You Love something, Let it Go...
    If It Comes Back Then It's Yours...
    If It Doesn't Then It Never Was...

sorry if i'm being ignorent, but why do you post what books you've read?
    We have the ability to fix the world's problems, but not the initiative

Quote Originally Posted by Morin'stal
    suggestions for others who might be interested in reading something? but maybe with a short summary and thots of the book might be more useful than simply just stating what you have read.

ahh.. alright.

I'm reading Buried Fire, by Jonathan Stroud, which is about a boy in Briten who is suddenly bestowed with four gifts from a dragon. (Now I'm making a inference here) It's about how you must resist the temption of the world and how nothing lasts forever. (i think)

I will not type the pro-log which is about how the dragon is asleep under the hill and sometimes its thoughts excape through the surface. Here is the first page after the pro-log:
    Day 1
    The boy was asleep in the hollow on the hilltop when the dargon's thought came up from the ground and enveloped him. It rose through his body slowly, like a giant soap bubble, with its oily surface quivering and glinting in the sun.
    As it spread out across his chest and stomach, the boy stirred uneasily, but he did not wake. His face had time to grimace briefly-then the bubble crept up across his throat and over his face, and the sound of his breathing was suddenly cut off.
    Still it rose, a vast translucent dome, until the boy was swallowed whole. A book lying open on the grass beside his hand burst into flame as the thought engulfed it.
    Time passed. The sleeping boy slept on in the afternoon sunlight, with the buring book beside him. It burned unsteadily, with a jittering green-and-yellow fire, until it was reduced to a fine white ash. A light breeze blew across the hollow but could not reach inside the dragon's thought, and the pile of ash lay quiet upon the grass. The boy lay like an embalmed thing, steadily breathing the thought inside him.
    Quick movement stirred the grass across the hollow. Tiny lizards, flecked with green and orange scaled, pushed their way up between the gorse stalks and the early heather. With eager, darting movements, they scuttered ever nearer to the bubble, until one by one, and in ever greater numbers, they passed through its surface, out of the natural air. Small tongues flickered, drinking in the essence of the fiery thought, while the boy's clothes singed around the edges and his face grew pale.
    Time passed.

Did that get anyone interested? Is it illegale to do that? My spelling really sucks.

Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony. Good book, that one.
    There's currently 129 holds on the first copy available at my libary.

Now i am reading a book called 'Old Yeller', by Fred Gipson. It's a pathos story in which everybody who's read it has liked it. (I don't read the backs of books when people reconmand them because it takes away the thrill of guessing what will happen. But it also helps you develope the skill of predicting the future which can make the book predictable, so if anyone wants to try that, be my guest).

First Page:
    One
    We called him Old Yeller. The name has a sort of double meaning. One part meant that his short hair was a dingy yellow, a color that we called "yeller" in those days. The other ment that when he opened his head, the sound he let out came closer th being a yell than a bark.
    I remeber like yesterday how he strayed in out of nowhere to our log cabin on Birdsong Creek. He made me so mad at first that i wanted to kill him. Then, later, when i had to kill him, it was like having to shoot some of my own folk. That's how much I'd come to think of the big yeller dog.

P.S. somehow i've lost the ability to use italics and smilies in my posts, does anyone know how to get that back? Thanks.

To show off how intellectual we are.

Just finished

"The Singularity is near" - Ray Kurzweil.

I hope you young ones are ready for the singularity. It will come by 2050 the latest, I might still be alive but I might not. Be prepared for the ride of your life!!!!

Starting

"Variances" - Robert Nozick

Not his best. Quite disappointed so far.
    A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a ****ing cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant.

Currently, I'm picking up an easy read called ELLEN FOSTER by Kaye Gibbons. It was on Oprah's book club list.

Simultaneously, I think I'm going to read GONE WITH THE WIND for the first time...yes quite surprising...everyone is like, "You haven't read Gone with the Wind yet?"
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

You haven't read 'Gone with the Wind' yet!?!?
    Just kidding, classics are hard to get into unless you're past Grade 8...

To Spanner:
    Just how old are you?

You haven't read 'Gone with the Wind' yet!?!?
    Just kidding, classics are hard to get into unless you're past Grade 8...
    It's a shocker, I know. And yes I am past grade 8. I actually enjoy classics for the most part, since the majority of them became classics for a reason...I've read Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride & Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Huckleberry Finn, The Scarlett Letter...but not Gone with the Wind. All my friends say the exact same thing..."You haven't read it yet?!?" I'm quite a romantic, so my friends are assuming I'd love it. So far Scarlett is upset that Ashley is marrying Melanie. Scarlett. She's quite a character so far.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Kinshu: Autumn Brocade

I love Japanese-translated-into-English novels.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

I'm currently not reading anything, but the last book that I've red was the Davinci Code. I definitely enjoyed the book more than the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    I'm currently not reading anything, but the last book that I've red was the Davinci Code. I definitely enjoyed the book more than the movie.
    I thought The Da Vinci Code was a great book...well-written. The ending wasn't as exciting as the beginning, but I liked it.