Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading currently?

so im waiting for the HP7 to come out at midnight and im at the bookstore nearly 5 hours ahead of time for the long huge line (i should have picked a smaller bookstore) when i decide that i need to kill time.

read: 2 gossip girl books. and one more book by the same author but a spin off series.
    man i love the Gossip Girl series by Cecily von Ziegesar. i have the two set boxes of the first 6 books but i stopped reading after that. it felt good going back to my old gulity pleasure books and especially the new series The It Girl. who doesnt love gossip

and yea, i also read "where's waldo" books after they kicked me out to another section b/c the face painting line was too long. those books readlly kill your eyes
    but there sooooo fun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where's_Waldo
    The best part of believe is the lie.

I just read "The Good Earth", a very good read. The literary level isn't that "high" in terms of prose, but it's very authentic and realistic. And it is hard for an American woman to write in the tone of a Chinese male farmer.

Now going to start reading "The sun Also Rises" by Hemingway.

"Forbidden Colors" by Yukio Mishima. I was a bit skeptical about the novel when I first looked at it but, it turned out to be a very good book about a gay man's (that hasn't "come out of the closet") marriage to a woman, so as they say, "don't judge a book by its cover".
    "There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for."
    -Mahatma Gandhi

I quit the Sun Also Rises..way too boring.

I'm reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude" after all the hype about it. I've gotten through 120 pages and I feel like I'm forcing myself to read rather than enjoy it. Does this book get any better? It's so...dry and documentary like.

I plan on finishing the other Pearl Buck books I got, "Sons", "House divided" and "Madame Liang's Three Daughters", those seem interesting.

And also "I Know WHy the Caged Bird Sings".

Ambitious eh? Oh well, subway = my time for reading.

Ok I forced myself to finish "100 years of solitude"...I still don't get the hype..anyone care to explain?

No one showing this thread love..*sniff*

Anyhow, I read "The Good Earth" a couple weeks ago...AMAZING BOOK!!!! No wonder it won the Nobel Prize and Pultzer prize (sp)...now going to move towards reading the next two books in the trilogy.

Madame Liang's Three Daughters is a pretty amazing book as well.

Pearl Buck rules

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    No one showing this thread love..*sniff*

Anyhow, I read "The Good Earth" a couple weeks ago...AMAZING BOOK!!!! No wonder it won the Nobel Prize and Pultzer prize (sp)...now going to move towards reading the next two books in the trilogy.

Madame Liang's Three Daughters is a pretty amazing book as well.

Pearl Buck rules
    Hee, you're so funny! Jus showing I'm reading this thread n soz i can't reply any of your qns cos I don't read these books... You read The Good Earth and it's a trilogy?

About the hype, try reading reviews? whaah... This is such a good thread actually, but I haven't started catching up with this thread right from the start haha. I'm currently lurving "Chloe King" books so far! So sad only 3 books have been out now. I jus lurve to read it slowly and relish in it.

Me too, subway (MRT - Mass Rapid Transit) our name for subway, sounds so uninteresting is reading time. Bus time too! Wahah. m_m
    "Laugh as much as you can." :
    "Follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you are going to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs.

Oh yeah, the Chloe King books is actually a series about a secret race of beings: "Mai". They are like cats but they are humans, like they have cat reflexes! It's by Celia Thomson! I just lurve it! So fantasy like in a real world...
    "Follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you are going to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs.

The reviews were actually good lol, but I guess I'm just different from the mass public. Many classics are over-hyped...but I find them the safest route to go instead of some unknown book.

I also read some of Sophie Kastella (sp)'s books...don't really dig the Shopaholics series, but they're just guilty pleasures, if I can really call them pleasures..more like boredom-busters. The undomestic goddess was okay in the beginning and middle, but the ending made me want to stab the main character in the eye for her irresponsibility and stupidity. "CAn you keep a secret" was slightly better, but I don't dig the whole Prince Charming thing that she ends up putting in every single book.

I'm currently almost finish with New Moon from Stephenie Meyer. I personally love it =D!
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

The Bridge of San Luis Rey - Thornton Wilder
    Crushes only crush you,
    Falling only hurts you,
    Hearts will only break you,
    If there is no love to save you.

Senorita Liza Wang, Ud es MUY bonita para su edad. Besame.

I just finished The Art of War by Sun-Tzu because we had to read that over summer. Quite interesting. Btw, school's tomorrow for me. *sigh*
    Liza Wang-the only gorgeous woman to make any man (especially me!) swoon with one piecing look. (never underestimate the power of a woman)

I just bought "The Day After Roswell"-By Col. Philip J. Corso. Havent started on it yet.

"the Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold.

its acually for my summer reasong assignment for school.
    but its such a good book; no wonder its a best seller!
    The best part of believe is the lie.

I'm currently reading Eclipse. I absolutely love the Twilight series. I'm currently obsessed with them. Another book that I'm reading is Tithe.
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight_zero36 View Post
    I'm currently almost finish with New Moon from Stephenie Meyer. I personally love it =D!
    Wahah, it's like I see you everywhere. I'll probably read it if it's so nice? Wahhah. Cos it's as per your recommendation whahah! Read Chloe King! I bet you'll get hooked if you're into those fiction books, like it's in reality but it doesn't exist in real life. OH my, I'm like confusing ahha...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight_zero36 View Post
    I'm currently reading Eclipse. I absolutely love the Twilight series. I'm currently obsessed with them. Another book that I'm reading is Tithe.
    Mmmm? What Twilight? Seems like we're both online at the same time ahha.

Oh right, it's actually "The Nine Lives of Chloe King" by Celia Thomson. Currently, there are only 3 books but I want more!

I'm currently reading A Streetcar Named Desire... not technically a book, but still very good nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight-sonata View Post
    I'm currently reading A Streetcar Named Desire... not technically a book, but still very good nonetheless.
    It's a play.

It's gorgeous, I love it.
    玉木宏

blog

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan