Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading currently?

Suzanne White's Chinese Astrology : Plain and Simple

Quite intriguing to see everything from a Western perspective.

The Penguin Book of History
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

All about Passions by Stephanie Laurens it's okay 3/5

Asimov's Foundation, the legendary novel (sort of) that spawned the legendary series.

Linux the Bible
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

angels and demons.

Hey how many books do you guys read at once? And how many books can you read in a month?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Just finished Terry Pratchett's Making Money - not bad, but not as funny as it used to be with DiscWorld series.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Hey how many books do you guys read at once? And how many books can you read in a month?
    I've read up to 10 books at once in a period of 3 weeks before.

Currently reading "Deus lo Volt!" (or God wills it in english) by Evans S. Connell. A very creative retelling of the crusades.

"The Stone Key"-- Isobelle Carmody

(Book 5 of the Obernewtyn Chronicles)
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Finishing The American by Henry James and upcoming read-->The Portait of a Lady

I need to pick up the pace in reading these books.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Sue Townsend - The Cappucino Years (Adrian Mole). He's so funny!
    "Laugh as much as you can." :
    "Follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you are going to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs.

HG Well's The Time Machine

Finishing The American by Henry James and upcoming read-->The Portait of a Lady
    How'd you like The American? While I found almost every character except for maybe Noemie (yes, I get a lot of disagreements on that one) and Valentin incredibly annoying, it's one of the few Henry James works that I find tolerable.

As for myself, I just finished Of Mice and Men...I haven't read Steinbeck for a while and I must say I absolutely loved this book. For a short book it's got a lot of substance. While it doesn't surpass The Catcher in the Rye (I need a shirt that says *HOLDEN CAULFIELD IS MY HOMEBOY*) as my favourite book of all time, it made me cry like a baby. Right now I'm off to read One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

Because I feel I have been behind in Harry Potter ever since high school started. I used to have every little detail embedded in my brain.

My textbook. Constitutional Law
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    How'd you like The American? While I found almost every character except for maybe Noemie (yes, I get a lot of disagreements on that one) and Valentin incredibly annoying, it's one of the few Henry James works that I find tolerable.

As for myself, I just finished Of Mice and Men...I haven't read Steinbeck for a while and I must say I absolutely loved this book. For a short book it's got a lot of substance. While it doesn't surpass The Catcher in the Rye (I need a shirt that says *HOLDEN CAULFIELD IS MY HOMEBOY*) as my favourite book of all time, it made me cry like a baby. Right now I'm off to read One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.
    Valetin de Bellegarde was my favorite character in The American. He's such a good guy, but I guess Noemie would not have wanted to marry into a family like that and she's well aware of the family would not want her to marry Valentin. I'm so upset with how he died, its so pathetic.

Newman --that whole chapter about the Bellegarde's throwing him a party for the engagement between him and Claire de Cintre, about how Newman was all happy blah blah blah, the chapter is too long, I can't stand reading every few paragraphs how Newman is SOOOOOOOO happy.

Don't get me started on The Portrait of a Lady, Ralph Touchett is such a sweet guy who could've achieved so many things, and yet because he has an illness, he restrains himself from actually finding love with Isabel. But I hate Isabel, she's portrayed as a smart and independent woman but all I see is her stupidity and she got herself in the mess. I don't like her. She's stupid.

A book by John Grisham - Appeal

Tagline: The Dark side of Justice.

Still reading! But I think its a good book to recommend.

The book I am reading for lit is excruciatingly boring to the point where I won't even bother mentioning it here. But on my own I'm currently reading Atonement by Ian McEwan. Naturally I'm reading it because of the awesome James McAvoy and Keira Knightley movie.
    Newman --that whole chapter about the Bellegarde's throwing him a party for the engagement between him and Claire de Cintre, about how Newman was all happy blah blah blah, the chapter is too long, I can't stand reading every few paragraphs how Newman is SOOOOOOOO happy.
    I never understood why Newman is so happy over Claire...their relationship is never developed in a way so that I could relate to it.

Perhaps I might have gotten more out of it had I not read the whole thing in a day, but forget a single chapter - the whole book is too long! I mean, could that chapter on Newman's travels not have been CONDENSED a little? But overall I think The American is one of Henry James's better works, mainly because what Newman does at the end is pretty noble of the guy. That redeems him in my mind despite his annoying naivety throughout the novel.

I've never read The Portrait of the Lady, but from my other Henry James's (like The Ambassadors and ugh...Daisy Miller) I don't really think I will unless the book is assigned. Oddly enough Henry James sang the praises of one of my fave books - The Scarlet Letter. At least we had similar tastes?

How much do you read a week, SS? Maybe in terms of number of pages, since I don't really process how much 500 words is. Just a bit of info to carry with me as I make some decisions with where I want to go in life.
    Last edited by Sparky; 03-09-08 at 02:24 PM.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Eclipse - Stephenie Meyers
    Crushes only crush you,
    Falling only hurts you,
    Hearts will only break you,
    If there is no love to save you.