Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading currently?

Reading the tragedy works of Sir William Shakespeare - King Lear, which is also my favourite work of Shakespeare
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Reading the tragedy works of Sir William Shakespeare - King Lear, which is also my favourite work of Shakespeare
    King Lear really is one of Bill's best. My fave together with Tempest.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

"Goodbye to All That" by Robert Graves. The book is a memoir of Grave's life in the trenches during World War I.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    King Lear really is one of Bill's best. My fave together with Tempest.
    Yes, it is. I missed the performance by Ian Mckellen. He was here for the stage play as King Lear.

I heartedly have an emotion tie for this particular chapter because (through my job), I had dealt with a Queen Lear. Though, in this chapter of Queen Lear, there's a slight twist, the moral of the story is similar, however.

"Queen Lear" had similarly 3 children, the two older daughters who are genuinely fillial to her seem to get cold shoulders from her. The son, who has always been the apple of her eye, had easily win his mother's heart and trust over with effortless sweet talks.

As the two daughters gave up and migrate to overseas with their spouses, the son was left with the mother in local. He had planned to migrate too, but not without squeezing the old mother of her entire fortune, which supposed to be her retirement funds.

The breach of trust has only finally taken its toll on one incident, which was quite late though.

Be it that both are similarly my clients on a conveyancing matter, my biasness has me made my stand always in favour of the old lady and tried to be honest with her on necessary updates because I've always find the son dodgy. In the end, it was ironic for her to have total trust on a stranger than her child.

Of the comedy books, I like All's well, End's well and Mechant of Venice. I thought Macbeth, for the tragedy books, is good too. Shakespeare has really deep insights of human.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 02-22-09 at 07:26 PM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

King Lear is too depressing...it's painful for me. Macbeth less so, because by the end I disliked Macbeth anyway. I'm oddly fascinated by the Lady Macbeth character, mainly for feminist reasons. Macbeth is my favourite though - the interweaving relationships are so well done.

However, I have to admit my respect for Shakespeare is rather tainted by his lack of originality, which I discovered after reading Holinshed's Chronicles. Turns out Holinshed's histories and Shakespeare's plots are practically identical! Granted, Shakespeare's rhetorical technique is still praiseworthy, but I can't seem to give him total credit for truly understanding the human condition anymore.

Moving a few centuries ahead, I'm going through a modernist/feminist phase lately, which was inevitably led me to Virginia Woolf. Also reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales...getting quite a kick out of the bawdy stories.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

I just started reading a book called Paper Mage, by Leah R. Cutter. It's a fantasy novel set in ancient China, telling the story of a young woman who learns paper-folding magic. It's not bad so far.

I just wish the author hadn't felt it necessary to introduce a European character into the story. I have a feeling the heroine is going to fall in love with him, which I will find a bit disappointing. I'd rather she had kept all the characters Chinese.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Started reading Wolf Totem, author Jiang Rong. The summary very much interests me. Anyone read this novel before?

Life As We Knew it
    Not a good book to read unless you want to be depressed. It REALLY creeped me out. You want to stop reading it but you have to know what happens.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://schools.fsusd.k12.ca.us/schools/rhs/!_lib/!_lib/Images/lifeasweknewit.jpg')
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Indonesia, where people will trap you in a Big Dipper formation if you steal a chicken...

An old thing - The Lord of The Ring (J.R.R. Tolkien).
    It was often said, "Among horses, Chi Tu (Red Hare). Among retards, Lu Bu."

Vice-President of Wuji Haters Club!

Originator of "Wuv Kuddly Hamsty" activity.

unheard by most here, but those in malaysia, should know... Kampung Boy! not actually a book but comic like Calvin n Hobbes or Snoopy n Peanuts....

I've finally started reading Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Mariller recently. I had started earlier but I dropped it because I wanted to read another book. But when I finally am reading this book, the story is not bad. Its pretty interesting. I like the comraderie of the siblings.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 04-30-09 at 09:24 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine View Post
    unheard by most here, but those in malaysia, should know... Kampung Boy! not actually a book but comic like Calvin n Hobbes or Snoopy n Peanuts....
    Lat was my hero when i was growing up.

1) Just finished Krugman's Return of the Depression Economics and the Great Economic Crisis of 2008. This book is a great succint read of the reasons behind some bust cycles in history particularly the 1990s and been recently updated by this nobel winning economist.

2) Currently starting on Ishiguro's Noctures, a collection of short stories that dealt with the music lovers.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Magician by Raymond E Feist, whom many said rivaled Tolkien's work.
    May my Earendil be Light in your Darkness when others Died out.

Finished Nocturnes. Not a bad gentle read (a bit too light for a Ishiguro).

Finished Jasper Fforde - Great Samuel Pepys Fiasco- funny.

Will attempt to force myself to read Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

The Judas Strain by James Rollins. It's an excellent book.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Finished it actually. VERY SAD story.

click to show/hide spoilers
    Okwonko should NOT have died. He was a character worthy of admiration and to have him killed off at the end I thought was a great injustice to the story. The White Man should have driven out of the village. That would've been the morally correct outcome. But then since the book IS called Things Fall Apart I suppose it would have made sense to show readers the chaos and destruction of the clan by the arrival of the White Man.

The Rules of Gentility. Full of romance plus humour. love this book.

*sUmmArY*
    Regency heiress Philomena Wellesly Clegg is not short of offers. Unfortunately those doing the offering - two lords, a viscount and a mad poet - all fall short of her expectations. But she's not about to meet Mr. Inigo Linsley. Unshaven, wickedly handsome and hiding a scandalous secret, he simply isn't Philomena's type - so why can't she stop thinking about how good he looks in his breeches?
    i'm free to be friend with everyone and i hope to have friends very soon

mY FaVoUrItE AcTrEsS##
    Bai Xue, Shu Qi, Vicky Zhao
    AcToR##Dicky Cheung Wai Kin, Nic Tze,

Rereading The Professor by Charlotte Bronte.

Just finish Book 5 of Wheel of Time (WoT). Now reading book 6. Another 5 to go before the release of book 12 - new WoT book, The Gathering Storm by Brandon Sanderson (Jordan died in 2007 and Brandon is the replacement writer) in November.

Brandon Sanderson got new book out today called the Warbreaker. Well it's Brandon, so the magic as always will be badass and awesome like Mistborn and Elantris.

I'm going to stop my WoT reading for now to read Warbreaker.

I'm so crazy with High Fantasy especially the one with full of magic and fight and people dead all over, war etc. Now eagerly waiting for:

- WoT - A Memory of Light vol 1 - Gathering Storm (Brandon Sanderson) - November
    - Codex Alera 6 - Final - First Lord's Fury - Jim Butcher - November

Sadly, The Wiseman's Fear, book 2 of Kingkiller Chronicle, sequel to The Name of the Wind (Harry Potter on steroid LOL, it's true trust me!, read it) has still not got a release date - uuuurrgggghhhhh.

After WoT-12, while waiting for WoT-13, I think I will start reading The Malazan, haha another badass 10 books series by Steven Erikson which will only finish in 2010 (book 10), so got lots of time for catch up LOL. That is going to be part of 2010 reading list, well if I'm still above ground LOL.

What the hell LOL, I forgot about the new Jack Reacher novel:

book 13 - Gone Tomorrow. I always read Jack Reacher novel first day release since the last 5 years LOL.

Haha, now reading order should be:

Jack Reacher 13
    Warbreaker
    WoT 6

Jack Reacher 13 - blurb:

In the latest outing for Jack Reacher, Gone Tomorrow, Child’s resourceful hero is travelling in New York City, observing his fellow passengers on the subway. He’s aware that suicide bombers are easy to spot – they’re usually nervous, and (as he wryly notes) by definition they're first-timers. As an ex-law enforcer, Jack notices that of his five fellow travellers, one is distinctly giving out the signals that spell danger. Grand Central Station is approaching – will Jack act and save lives – including his own? But… what if he's wrong?

This high voltage situation is the arresting curtain opener here, and the tension is screwed tighter, as Jack Reacher is pitched against the one of the most challenging threats he has come up against. Gone Tomorrow has all the dynamism of Child’s earlier work; spruced-up, super-charged and showing no sign of age.
    yeah, no sign of age, really true, after 13 books, the Reacher series is still badass as always.